What can this blister be ?

xiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear cat-loving friends,

What can this sort of "bag" (around 6 mm long, 3 mm wide, rather flat, whitish, soft) on the skin over the upper lip on the left side of the head of my cat please be ?

Thank you very much from Coschka and me for your help !

PS : if the pictures are not good enough, please tell, I will make better ones,.. Coschka willing  ;+)

View media item 275622
View media item 275623

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's really hard to tell without seeing it in person, and in any case we can't make a diagnosis over the internet. Can you get her to a vet to have it checked out?

Has she been injured recently, scratched or bitten by another animal? Does she go outside? It could be anything from a tick to cancer.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Dear cat-loving friends,

What can this sort of "bag" (around 6 mm long, 3 mm wide, rather flat, whitish, soft) on the skin over the upper lip on the left side of the head of my cat please be ?

Thank you very much from Coschka and me for your help !

PS : if the pictures are not good enough, please tell, I will make better ones,.. Coschka willing  ;+)
It's hard to say but a vet visit is definitely in order.  Skin issues are hard to diagnose and we can't do it online.

Did it appear suddenly or overtime? Did it grow in size? It could be anything from superficial to cancer (and i'm not trying to scare you with the "C" word) but you need a vet to examine it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much, GoldyCat and Stephen.

Yes, I can get her to a vet.

No, she's not been injured nor scratched nor bitten by another animal,... as far as I can tell.

Yes, she spends a lot of time outside. She spends half the day hunting.

This "blister" does not move in any way and doesn't seem full of blood : wouldn't a tick look different ?  

She's only two years old : isn't it a bit young for a cancer ?

I saw this "thing" only today. I couldn't say how long it's been around. 

Here are two additional pictures.

Any further comment is very much welcome.

Kind regards

:+)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It actually looks like a tick to me - the first time I saw a large one on my cat I thought it was a growth of some kind. But if you do not know what to do run her by a vet - they can be difficult to remove and if you don't do it properly it can become infected.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that it could well be a tick, but removal from that area will be tricky. Best to get a vet to help - and confirm our suspicion ;)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good! Glad that's all it was.  Is she on a monthly flea & tick medication sense she goes outside? Advantage two/ or Frontline?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Angels mommy.

Yes, she is on a monthly flea & tick medication. I use Fleevox, which is the same molecule (Fipronil) as Frontline. Additionally I use "Bob Martin - All in one - Flea spray".  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, good to know. I thought all ticks were black.
   Over here the paralysis tick (which looks like the one in Xiana's photos) is dark but becomes lighter as it becomes more engorged. 

I'm really glad you got it! 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ticks are disgusting. I hate them worse than fleas. They carry horrible diseases, I had a dog that died of tick-borne disease. Glad you got it out.