What can landlords do to you if you own a pet w/o permission?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Disclaimer: I am writing this response with out reading the other.

I suspect they could probably evict you. That said, I've been at the same apartment complex (2 different units) for almost 3 years with 2 cats. My leasing office is only aware of one cat. My thought is, if they ask about the second cat, I can say that I'm just pet sitting for a friend. Of course, maintnance has been in since I've had two cats and some of the guys have seen and even petted BOTH my cats and I've never heard anything from the leasing office about it. I think most places have bigger things to worry about than someone having a cat.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't totally read this thread, but I just want to say that I know two people who were evicted for having a pet. In both cases, someone actually reported them to the landlord. There are busybodies everywhere, so it definitely could happen.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From past experience with leases, read throughout the lease. Most sections of the legal document have an article in there pertaining to pets in general. This part is the reflective of what the apartment complex's rules and regs concerning pets (i.e. dogs must be on a leash, etc).

Most places I have lived will only make you pay back the extra pet fee before they will evict you. The only time they will evict is if you fail to pay the back rent for the pet. However, like others have said either claim you just got the cat...even if its 4 months later.

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I was going to offer some advice since I've been in your situation, but everyone here seems to have covered everything.

Have something in writing.
Play stupid with new management.

That's about it.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apartment building (400+) units advertises that it is cat-friendly in all of its ads and its website. The lease states that no animals are allowed without prior written permission. Fast forward to the day of my home visit with the volunteer from the local shelter...I go downstairs to the leasing office and tell them I need to pay my pet deposit and get written permission to get a cat (for me, not the shelter - I had already provided them with the cat-friendly literature/advertisements - as far as they were concerned, I needed to show proof of paying the pet deposit). None of the leasing agents/desk people could give me a straight answer on what this "prior written permission" was, and they couldn't give me anything in writiing verifying that I am, indeed, allowed to have a cat. They gave me a receipt for the pet deposit, and it lives with Lucy's other documentation. I asked if I needed to do anything else, or if one of the leasing agents would contact me for more info (I know I was shown some sort of "application" when I inquired about cats when I signed the lease), and she said they would follow up with me after seeing I had paid a pet deposit. Nothing yet. I also asked about ferrets before I signed the lease, and basically, the leasing agent rolled his eyes and implied I should just shut up about it. I have repeatedly inquired about ferrets since moving in (with my ferret), and received no real response. I find it hard to believe in a 10-story, 400+ unit apartment building that no one else has "caged pets", so I have decided to just ignore it. If it ever comes down to it, I will simply appeal to the actual property management company and offer to pay the same deposit required for cats, plus the pet rent for all of the months I have been here. They can evict me, and that's not okay, but I'll accept it. I still know that my cat + ferret are not allowed to cause any damage to the property, so I will plead my case, but I will also accept whatever legal remedies they seek. It would put me in the poorhouse, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't sign a lease stating no animals are allowed without prior written consent. Do I think the leasing office could have done a better job? Yes. However, I signed a contract, and I will accept any consequences of my "illicit" actions.

To be quite honest, I am not worried about pleading my case with the property management company. The worst they can do is evict me and charge me a ton of money. I'll pay it. I won't like it, but I'll pay. That's not to say I'm rich or anything, but I thought of all this before I moved in here. If you are in a position to be financially ruined by any of the above, think long and hard before getting in over your head.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

I have repeatedly inquired about ferrets since moving in (with my ferret), and received no real response. I find it hard to believe in a 10-story, 400+ unit apartment building that no one else has "caged pets", so I have decided to just ignore it. If it ever comes down to it, I will simply appeal to the actual property management company and offer to pay the same deposit required for cats, plus the pet rent for all of the months I have been here. They can evict me, and that's not okay, but I'll accept it. I still know that my cat + ferret are not allowed to cause any damage to the property, so I will plead my case, but I will also accept whatever legal remedies they seek. It would put me in the poorhouse, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't sign a lease stating no animals are allowed without prior written consent. Do I think the leasing office could have done a better job? Yes. However, I signed a contract, and I will accept any consequences of my "illicit" actions.

To be quite honest, I am not worried about pleading my case with the property management company. The worst they can do is evict me and charge me a ton of money. I'll pay it. I won't like it, but I'll pay. That's not to say I'm rich or anything, but I thought of all this before I moved in here. If you are in a position to be financially ruined by any of the above, think long and hard before getting in over your head.
IN MANY juristictions ... caged animals are not considered PETS but a hobby animal and thus are exempt from PET rules... Look up your local codes