What Breed?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What breeds do you think went into my kitty. The shelter said she's a DMH, but doesn't that mean a mix.

Yes, it essentially means a mix.  Its just a few procent of all cats whom do belong to a breed, purebred or a natural breed.  Or are an easily recognizable fresh mix from some breeds.  The great majority are domestics.  Or as some say, mixes.

What your kitten will end up, we dont know.  She maybe will be come a look alike to some breed.

The pattern is a bicolor sort off, mackerel tabby and white.   I presume you could call this exact pattern for saddle.

Sweet kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I thought she was a grey and white tabby(for the color), is makeral different from grey?

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, ok thanks.

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is a mix or what some would call a domesticated cat.DMH,simply stands for the length of your cat's fur (domesticated medium haired). In my opinion she looks like a domesticated short hair kitten. She looks like a Grey and White Tabby not a Mackerel. A Mackerel cat should have long deep straight or circular lines. In the 1970's alot of Mackerel cats had circular patches instead of straight lines, but times have changed. By the way your kitten is very cute! Best of luck with her[emoji]128522[/emoji] what is the name you picked out?

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I named her Cupcake. How do you tell a shorthair and a medium hair?

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awe cute name![emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128151[/emoji]
Okay how you can tell the difference is a short haired cat has fur that is very close to the body and the fur is very short in length.
Medium length haired cat usually these cats are silky and fine coated. Undercoat may be thick, but is rarely 'fluffy' or bushy. The coat is long enough to be flowing, but not to the length of your long haired cat. Shorter on the back, there is usually some fluff around the neck and rear. Tails are often long and fluffy.
A medium hair kitten will normally have fur that will stick out from its ears. The fur looks shaggy and at times their fur sticks up in odd places. Many people think they have medium length hair kittens because kittens naturally have fuzziness to them, but they lose that fuzziness when they get older.

Last edited:

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes she is a mix or what some would call a domesticated cat.DMH,simply stands for the length of your cat's fur (domesticated medium haired). In my opinion she looks like a domesticated short hair kitten. She looks like a Grey and White Tabby not a Mackerel. A Mackerel cat should have long deep straight or circular lines. In the 1970's alot of Mackerel cats had circular patches instead of straight lines, but times have changed. By the way your kitten is very cute! Best of luck with her[emoji]128522[/emoji] what is the name you picked out?
You are very helpful and quite knowleable, but I want to comment some and share:

The usual form to say is domestic.  Technically they are of course domesticated, but its also for purebreds, for example. but not necessarily for a ferale cat whom usually isnt domesticated - but with some patience love etc may be domesticated.  While a domestic is  a cat whom doesnt belong to any recognizable breed, and may be a family member - or a ferale cat...  So ferale cats are usually domestics, but they may have Ancestry from a purebred too.    A wildcat of some of the wildcat species isnt no domestic, they are impossible or very difficult to socialize as adults, but may be domesticated as kittens.  Especielly the european wildcats, although quite look alike of our typical domestic, is very difficult to domesticize successfully.  Some asian wildcat species are easier to domesticize, though.

Its however the same ancient root of the word, meaning house or household.

Tabby with circular patches  I suppose you mean the so called classical tabby, called also for blotched, marbled or bulls-eye tabby.

In some languages with tabby they do mean  this here classical tabby and nothing else.  When they see a mackerel tabby they say its tigrered or striped cat.  Tigrered as in a tiger.

And the story behind is not so little amusing.  From beginning they were all striped.  The mutation of bulls-eye tabby come in England sometimes at medieval times.  They become highest fashion, and soon enough, in England they become very common, even the most common.   And during the 1800- when the first modern Cat Fancy associations and Shows were organized in England - they took the bulls-eye tabby as The modell - for THEM it was the most common - so they called it for the classic tabby.  And all other tabbies, even the older ones alike striped, ticked and spotted - become just subvariations of the classic tabby....   :)

Last and least, re the other thread - its fairly common Maine Coons have extra toes, but its NOT majority of them nor mandatory in the breed description.

Welcome to our TCS-forums!

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that must of taken a while to type. But very helpful to understand it. :updown:

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much StefanZ StefanZ for the nice compliments and for welcoming me on TCS Forums![emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]
Referring to what we wrote on a different post about Maine Coons (which this spot probably isn't the appropriate place to write about them) Yes you're right it is not mandatory for Maine Coons to be polydactyl. But one thing that America is trying to do is reintroduce polydactyl back into Maine Coon cats. As you probably already know Maine Coons were once polydactyl but breeders took that characteristic and bred it out of them.
Many people wonder where to find one that is a polydactyl. "Back in the day," many were polydactyl, or double-pawed. It's a characteristic treasured by many. When they were accepted into the cat fancy, it became necessary for this recessive gene to be "weeded out". Then they would conform to the newly established breed standard, and become prize-winning show cats. This beloved characteristic is still carried on by a few breeders, although the kittens won't be show quality. In recent years, many Maine coon breeders have been trying to reintroduce the Polydactyl characteristics back into their breeding program. I have even heard that certain breeders are trying to change the breed standard, adding to it,the polydactyl characteristic, so they may be show potential.

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ What country are you from?
Oh haha yes I know what domesticated means. But thank you.[emoji]128516[/emoji] Where I come from we use the term domesticated cat, I have always heard it said that way out loud.[emoji]128483[/emoji] both terms are acceptable.
Domesticated means, tame.
Domestic means, house.
So in other terms "house cat"[emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@StefanZ What country are you from?
Oh haha yes I know what domesticated means. But thank you.[emoji]128516[/emoji] Where I come from we use the term domesticated cat, I have always heard it said that way out loud.[emoji]128483[/emoji] both terms are acceptable.
Domesticated means, tame.
Domestic means, house.
So in other terms "house cat"[emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]
Im from Sweden.  And yes, in swedish the word House cat does means a domestic, or more politely for a moggie.   :)   huskatt

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I'm sorry but I don't see that at all. She's just a pretty domestic cat[emoji]128512[/emoji] I don't think she has any kind of purebred in her. An oriental as you're referring to would be a Siamese,Tonkinese,Burmese ect and they have a very distinctive jawline and wide ears.

Last edited:

dixielandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ haha the word moggie sounds so cute![emoji]128516[/emoji] You're the first person I've met from Sweden, It's nice to know you Stefan! I have friends from all over the world on my instagram account, but none of them are from Sweden, I'm glad to have a Swedish catlover friend[emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128076[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@StefanZ haha the word moggie sounds so cute![emoji]128516[/emoji] You're the first person I've met from Sweden, It's nice to know you Stefan! I have friends from all over the world on my instagram account, but none of them are from Sweden, I'm glad to have a Swedish catlover friend[emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128076[/emoji]
Tx!   :)