What Breed/What Mix? Russian Blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreilly451

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Strange about the paw pads, Buddy also has very dry, cracking, peeling pads. I originally joined this forum to ask questions in a post about cracked pads... I've added a few new pictures:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
JR,

Looking at the last picture, Buddy actually looks a similar color to Cosmo -- but his eye are a lot more amber-ish in color. Buddy also seems to have the bigger ears like a Russian Blue. He IS beautiful JR! You gotta love these all-blue/grey kitties!

Here's a couple of Cosmo where you can see the silvery sheen/tips in his fur and the greener eyes...

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all both Cosmo and Buddy are truly beautiful cats and they do both exude the wonderful mystique of catness to the max. I don't wonder that you both want to know more about them.

I have a little rescued cat, my Go Go in the siggie, that made me want to read everything I could about Angoras which was what I decided she is related to. I'm sure there are people who would think that Angora mixes are impossible since they have only very recently been imported into America -- yet how else explain cats like Go Go?

I have been reading a profusely illustrated book CATalog by Dr. Bruce Fogle, a British author and got all this info from there.

Probably all our domestic cats have some purebreds in their lines going back to the days BEFORE they were so controlled and limited by breeders for showing etc. My limited understanding of how cat breeds become registered and accepted for showing seems to indicate that there could be a lot of unregistered Russian Blue DNA floating around in the general population of cats outside of the generally accepted pure breds. (After all Russian Blues were in England from the 1840s bfore neutering and spaying.)

For example the purebred American Short Hair was started with ordinary DSHs. I guess we don't dare call DSHs American Short Hair mixes though because they are not part of the registered purebred population. Nevertheless purebreds had to start with unregistered cats so all purebreeds have unregistered ancestry.

This book may resolve the misunderstanding about cross-breeding, too. Although there can be no cross-breeding into the Russian Blue breed there seems to be an allowance for cross-breeding out of the breed. For instance Russian Blues (and other shorthaired cats) were cross-bred with Persians to produce Exotics, which are now registered.

I hope this clears up some misunderstanding that arose earlier in the thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info Katie - very interesting! I'll definitely check out that book

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouse was very similar in build, color & coat to a Russian blue when she was younger, altho she matured to become a much stockier cat, more cobby in build - & she never had the emerald eyes.
that said, she definitely had a double coat - it was impossible to find her skin for flea treatments!

imperieux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amy, I read your initial post and laughed because of my own situation... I rescued two cats from the shelter a few months ago.. one a calico who was older, and this blue-grey younger cat that I thought was so pretty..

I don't know that much about cats to be honest so it surprised me when someone came to my house and complimented me on the Russian Blue I had. I had no idea what she was talking about.. I said she was from the shelter!

Turns out she is really believed to be a Russian Blue but of course there is no history on her or papers so no way to ever know this for sure. Her eyes are changing color a bit to more green from amber/green, she has the blue/silver double coat, bat like ears, very long and limber and mauve paws.She is just so pretty and different looking which is why she caught my eye. Now I know I can't verify she is, but I find it amusing to have people compliment her so much and then I tell them she was found on the street one day and taken to the shelter. I live in a city so it's possible this cat somehow got out and got lost or picked up quickly. Either way she has a good home now no matter what she is, but now i'm calling her Blue.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read through this thread with interest, and Amy Cosmo is a beautiful cat but he is definitly not a Russian Blue and probably hasn't got any in his lines either. He is beautiful though!

playbunnyjinx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amy-DHH

Okay... I'm not sure if this is okay to post here, but I wasn't sure where else to post it...

I KNOW he's not a full breed Russian Blue -- he's a shelter rescue... but I was wondering what mix he might be, if he's surely got some Russian Blue in him, or if it's something else?

He's about a year old.
He's solid grey-blue. I can't quite tell if he has the double coat or not.
His tail, the last 1/2 of it has VERY faint striping... rings that are just very slightly darker grey.
His eyes are yellow, but have a green ring around his pupil.
No pink paw pads -- those are charcoal grey.

Here's a picture:

If personality traits help: He's affectionate - VERY - likes to do head-butts. He has a higher pitched meow, almost chirpy but still a mee-oww. He just came home today, so I can't tell if his jumpiness to new sounds and movement is typical or just because of his new surroundings, but once he's comfortable, man is he! He likes to play, but it seems that even when he gets "rough and tumble" the claws don't come out.

What do the experts think?
It would not suprise me if your very handsome cat was a black mog and grey/silver mix.....sorry to disapoint you but he is most definatly not a russian blue because he doesn't have the well known whiskas with the silver tip, and his eyes are not green enough. Although don't be too disapointed he looks and sounds like a very proud and loving cat.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iam curious are bakers eyes this green if so what kind of food do you feed him for such beautiful eye color, i can only hope that my boy osiris has this color green in his eyes

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, There is but a few of us who actually know feline genetics really really well... I happen to not be one of them. In any case, no one can really answer your question properly without knowing what the background is of the parents, (as well as the parents themselves).... So, Your cat is mixed with whatever he looks like to you he's mixed with, sounds kinda harsh I know, but different people will see different things, so the best thing to do is go with your gut.

I am now closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.