What breed is my kitty? Possibly Bengal/mix?

mothernature07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my kitty is 9 months old and I bought him when he was 9 weeks old. The vet always said he was a domestic short hair, but they also said they label a lot of short hairs that way because most of them are mixed breeds now a days. I've looked at pictures of Bengals and see a resemblance. I know they also vary in color and markings so I'm not sure if he is or isn't. He seems to have some characteristics of a Bengal as well such as: He takes a liking to water. Every time I'm at the sink, he's always right there trying to climb in. He's also very active and playful but very friendly and affectionate as well. I am going to post pictures to see what you think. Also if nobody cannot figure out what breed he is, is there a website you can refer me to that can help? Thank you.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a blue classic tabby domestic shorthair. A cat has to be registered and have a pedigree in order to belong to a certain breed. Most cats haven't got any breed mixed in them, and even if they did they would still be mixes, not cats of certain breed. Personally I do not see Bengal in him. (Also, blue is not accepted colour in Bengals, however they do sometimes turn up as blue is recessive colour).

He looks very nice, gotta love that first pic! He seems like a kitty who would do well in HHP class (class for cats that are domestics/mixes) in a cat show.

Last edited:

ladyifah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi your cat is so cute! Esp the first pic!
Anyway did you got him a bed just for him? (Last pic)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an adorable kitty you have!

That first photo is so wonderful!

I have nothing else other than that lol. Just couldn't resist telling you how cute he is :D

ladyifah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah actually i couldnt resist telling that her too.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also not seeing Bengal, just a classic tabby domestic

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mothernature07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone, and thanks for helping. Also to the person who asked if that's his bed in the last pic: No, that's my daughters crib that he likes to sleep in sometimes haha :)

dyan york

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is possible tp have a cat that is mixed.No register needed unless the cat is pure bred.I have a Bengal mix ~

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible but there are very few genuine mixes around compared to the number of random-bred cats - those are over 90% of all cats.  And some of the alleged 'mixes' are a mix of a dubious BYB-bred cat and a moggie, or a cat that's actually not a mix at all but is said to be.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A "domestic shorthair" is what your vet labels cats without any particular breed in their ancestry, which is quite likely for your little guy. I think the figure is something like 95% of cats having no distinguishable purebred ancestry, which makes sense because most cats do their jobs just fine the way they are--mousers, lap-warmers, companions--and we didn't need to do any specialization with them like we did with dogs. Cats are relatively unchanged from their wild ancestors; just a bit more sociable and kitten-like really. They still have the hunting instinct and all that.

He's gorgeous, really! If he's as friendly and outgoing as that, and really likes new people, he might well enjoy being shown in the household pet class. And you'd get to go to a cat show, yourself! I've never had a cat with the sort of personality that they really would have liked being shown... but this cat looks like he just might like it.