What breed is my fur baby?help please!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a handsome boy you have!  Shadow is a perfect name, with his dusty gray coat. I love those lighter gray patches on the sides of his face. Makes him look distinguished.

Most likely he's a domestic long hair, but he does have a slight Persian look to him, particularly around his muzzle.  His eyes are shaped like theirs also - round as opposed to almond shaped.  I'm no expert on Persians but more of the old type, not those with heavily pushed in faces.

FYI, his personality could change a lot as he gets used to living with you.  When we adopted our Tortie, she was a rescue and needed time to acclimate.  She came to us very shy and reluctant to socialize but, after a month she began to come out of her shell.  It took a long time for her to show her true self but now, 3 years later she is a very social, fun and loving kitty.  She doesn't run off when new people come to the house, no noise fazes her and she actively solicits affection from us.  

As long as you give him the space he needs right now, I bet he'll start showing his less anxious personality shortly.  

One last thing is his coat looks a bit dull.  This is probably from poor nutrition. I bet he'll wind up with a beautifully glossy and dense coat after a few months of good food.  Can't wait to see more photos as time goes by and look forward to your being able to tell us about how he's come out of his shell!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lortiz100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so happy with your comment,I really hope he can be happy in my house! I love him! I give him science diet food because the vet told me it was the best food around.

Shadow lives with me since september and I haven't seen any change in his coat I am a bit worried it will stay dull like is now,This is my first long haired cat so I don't know much about how to properly take care of his coat,I discovered he likes to be brushed so brush him and get rid of the tangles he may have.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy with your comment,I really hope he can be happy in my house! I love him! I give him science diet food because the vet told me it was the best food around.

Shadow lives with me since september and I haven't seen any change in his coat I am a bit worried it will stay dull like is now,This is my first long haired cat so I don't know much about how to properly take care of his coat,I discovered he likes to be brushed so brush him and get rid of the tangles he may have.
Actually, Science Diet is not the best around.  It is too high in carbs; cats need as much protein as possible. Vets recommend it because they usually have a relationship with the company to stock it in their offices.  

There are much better foods out there.  If you're interested in finding out what others recommend there is a lot of info for nutrition here at TCS.  In general, it should be grain free - even better if no other carbs are added which are not considered grains (potatoes, peas, etc.).  The more it is pure protein the better. Wet food is preferable over kibble although many cats do fine on that but again, finding one high in protein (such as Orijen, expensive but one of the best) is key if feeding dry food.  There are lots of good options out there for wet and dry within every budget.   I'm sure Shadow would benefit in appearance and health if you swapped out something else for the Science Diet.  

Editing a bit:  It will take a while for his coat to look better.  Our long haired cat took at least 6 months until we saw a real change.  Her coat is gorgeous now!  Combing and brushing Shadow will both be good for his health and for bonding the two of you together.  Just be careful not to pull at any tangles he may have.  If you feel confident you can purchase a mat cutter.  We've used it with good results if a knot isn't too bad.  Unfortunately if they are, a vet visit to remove them may be in order.  They can wind up being very painful since the pull at the skin.  Actually, I'm about to take Cocoa in for a "sanitary" cut lol - I noticed she has a couple of knots in her britches near delicate areas, she's not having any of me trying to get to them so, next week while getting a dental she'll be getting some grooming also LOL

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Actually, Science Diet is not the best around.  It is too high in carbs; cats need as much protein as possible. Vets recommend it because they usually have a relationship with the company to stock it in their offices.  

There are much better foods out there.  If you're interested in finding out what others recommend there is a lot of info for nutrition here at TCS.  In general, it should be grain free - even better if no other carbs are added which are not considered grains (potatoes, peas, etc.).  The more it is pure protein the better. Wet food is preferable over kibble although many cats do fine on that but again, finding one high in protein (such as Orijen, expensive but one of the best) is key if feeding dry food.  There are lots of good options out there for wet and dry within every budget.   I'm sure Shadow would benefit in appearance and health if you swapped out something else for the Science Diet.  

Editing a bit:  It will take a while for his coat to look better.  Our long haired cat took at least 6 months until we saw a real change.  Her coat is gorgeous now!  Combing and brushing Shadow will both be good for his health and for bonding the two of you together.  Just be careful not to pull at any tangles he may have.  If you feel confident you can purchase a mat cutter.  We've used it with good results if a knot isn't too bad.  Unfortunately if they are, a vet visit to remove them may be in order.  They can wind up being very painful since the pull at the skin.  Actually, I'm about to take Cocoa in for a "sanitary" cut lol - I noticed she has a couple of knots in her britches near delicate areas, she's not having any of me trying to get to them so, next week while getting a dental she'll be getting some grooming also LOL
The TS is in the Caribbean, so its possible  Hills veterinary science food is really the best around there...   Its at least clearly better than the cheap brands in the usual food shops. So its not bad, just there are better.

But its possible to get some online with post delivery.  Or make some home.  For example, raw chicken or raw cow meat.    It depends also on the standard of the local slaughteries... What is problemfree for us spoiled europeans and americans, is not always possible for others...

Another tip is to get canned wet food.  Canned wet food is almost always better than dry food.  Even cheap brands are usually OK.

Although also here in Sweden the Hills is heavily marketed by our vets. Our boys had it the first years, till we learned there were good alternatives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lortiz100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot fot your help! I will do some reaserch in the food alternatives! I love this place,never thought to find somewhere where I could discuss my cat related things! [emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]10083[/emoji]

This is Motito my first cat,also rescued he was on the road in a shoe box under the rain,he and Shadow get along perfectly.