What Breed Is My Cat?

Official.buttercup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpg
Okay, I'm so sorry if I'm wasting your time. My cat is not a purebred. Yes, my cat is most likely a mix of some sort. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what breed my cat resembles.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Official.buttercup Official.buttercup - Do you have any other photos, and a little more information? Age, gender, weight and whether or not desexed would help.

There looks to be a cold weather breed influence - the long hair between the toes might be Norwegian Forest Cat, Siberian, or even (though a little less likely) Maine Coon influence. The more we know, the less wild a guess you might get - and welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Official.buttercup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
Official.buttercup Official.buttercup - Do you have any other photos, and a little more information? Age, gender, weight and whether or not desexed would help.

There looks to be a cold weather breed influence - the long hair between the toes might be Norwegian Forest Cat, Siberian, or even (though a little less likely) Maine Coon influence. The more we know, the less wild a guess you might get - and welcome to TCS!
Age: We don't know exactly how old he is because he was given to us a few years ago and we didn't know how old he was. 8-10 years old is a good estimate
I have some more pictures of him above.

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The face has a bit of a triangle shape so I'm leaning more to Norwegian mix here.

Here's a picture of our Wegie so you can compare.

Beautiful boy you have there.

Here's our Pyewacket (Full Norwegian) at 11 months old for comparison.

pye11mon.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The face has a bit of a triangle shape so I'm leaning more to Norwegian mix here.

Here's a picture of our Wegie so you can compare.

Beautiful boy you have there.

Here's our Pyewacket (Full Norwegian) at 11 months old for comparison.

View attachment 194771
ashenshugar ashenshugar - Welcome to the TCS Forums; your Pyewacket is a funny looking Siamese, and where's Kim Novak??? absolutely gorgeous! Here's my little Bob, just having passed five years, and hopefully (please, God, please!) just about fully grown, having crossed the thirty-five pound threshold, but not quite yet the 112 cm mark:

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Yes, yes - I know - there's some cat hair on the sofa throws. Not a clue where that came from.

ashenshugar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ashenshugar ashenshugar - Welcome to the TCS Forums; your Pyewacket is a funny looking Siamese, and where's Kim Novak??? absolutely gorgeous! Here's my little Bob, just having passed five years, and hopefully (please, God, please!) just about fully grown, having crossed the thirty-five pound threshold, but not quite yet the 112 cm mark:
I remember Bob! You showed me his beautiful picture when he was a svelt 30 lbs. Yea, our Pyewacket is going to be around that size. Vet said he'll be 25 pounds or more. He's about 18 lbs now at a bit over a year old.

As for Pyewacket being a funny looking siamese and missing Kim Novak? Bonus points for the movie quote.

And regardless of what breed of cat you like, or if you don't even know Kim Novak, nothing beats this picture...
(from the movie 'Bell, Book, and Candle' for those curious -- Kim Novak holding her cat Pyewacket, the Siamese)

novak.gif

Oh, and movie trivia. Kim Novak was allowed to keep Pyewacket after the movie since they had bonded so much through filming, that Pyewacket would be despondent without Kim.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Bob! You showed me his beautiful picture when he was a svelt 30 lbs. Yea, our Pyewacket is going to be around that size. Vet said he'll be 25 pounds or more. He's about 18 lbs now at a bit over a year old.

As for Pyewacket being a funny looking siamese and missing Kim Novak? Bonus points for the movie quote.

And regardless of what breed of cat you like, or if you don't even know Kim Novak, nothing beats this picture...
(from the movie 'Bell, Book, and Candle' for those curious -- Kim Novak holding her cat Pyewacket, the Siamese)

View attachment 194777

Oh, and movie trivia. Kim Novak was allowed to keep Pyewacket after the movie since they had bonded so much through filming, that Pyewacket would be despondent without Kim.
ashenshugar ashenshugar - No doubt that your Pyewacket will grow larger than Ms. Novak's. Of course, I'm far too young to remember Bell, Book And Candle, but if I weren't, I'd probably remember sitting in the Century Theatre in Buffalo N.Y. with my Mother, on a cold, damp November evening in 1958, watching Ms. Novak in that green silk dress, and later comparing Pye to my own Miss Busy - a Seal Point who'd just joined our Family a few months prior.

Favourite quote: "Hasn't this cat got anything better to do? Couldn't you give him something to read?"

Official.buttercup Official.buttercup - All the Giant Breed folks are this way. There's a clique in the Atlantic Region cat shows which other people actually call, "The Loonie Coonies" - breeders and Friends of the big breeds who've just naturally gravitated toward one another, and who are prone to causing a ruckus in restaurants and hotel lobbies during the shows. Something about the big breeds and big personalities, I suspect or maybe just overcompensation.

mightyboosh mightyboosh - hands off! You could, if you wished, post a few shots of Oliver and Chubchub here, to sort of 'round out' the thread, you know.

Official.buttercup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ashenshugar ashenshugar - No doubt that your Pyewacket will grow larger than Ms. Novak's. Of course, I'm far too young to remember Bell, Book And Candle, but if I weren't, I'd probably remember sitting in the Century Theatre in Buffalo N.Y. with my Mother, on a cold, damp November evening in 1958, watching Ms. Novak in that green silk dress, and later comparing Pye to my own Miss Busy - a Seal Point who'd just joined our Family a few months prior.

Favourite quote: "Hasn't this cat got anything better to do? Couldn't you give him something to read?"

Official.buttercup Official.buttercup - All the Giant Breed folks are this way. There's a clique in the Atlantic Region cat shows which other people actually call, "The Loonie Coonies" - breeders and Friends of the big breeds who've just naturally gravitated toward one another, and who are prone to causing a ruckus in restaurants and hotel lobbies during the shows. Something about the big breeds and big personalities, I suspect or maybe just overcompensation.

mightyboosh mightyboosh - hands off! You could, if you wished, post a few shots of Oliver and Chubchub here, to sort of 'round out' the thread, you know.
Now, I'm pretty sure Moo is one of the giant breeds. He weighs around 20-30 pounds (I haven't weighed him for a few months) and if just big in general. Also very fluffy. Finally, all these cats are adorable.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, I'm pretty sure Moo is one of the giant breeds. He weighs around 20-30 pounds (I haven't weighed him for a few months) and if just big in general. Also very fluffy. Finally, all these cats are adorable.
Official.buttercup Official.buttercup - Very few cats - unless morbidly obese, which Moo certainly is not - exceed fifteen pounds. At twenty pounds, it's perfectly reasonable to assume a great deal of Giant Breed influence. At "20-30 pounds" there's no question about it unless the cat is actually a visiting alien from a very large planet.

I'm inclined to think that Moo might actually be a Norwegian (especially since we have four considered opinions in that direction on this thread), or a Norwegian/Siberian cross. No matter the heritage, this is one exquisite cat.

Warning: now that we know that Moo is 20 to 30 pounds, do not let mightyboosh mightyboosh anywhere near your home.

;)

Official.buttercup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_5883.JPG
Official.buttercup Official.buttercup - Very few cats - unless morbidly obese, which Moo certainly is not - exceed fifteen pounds. At twenty pounds, it's perfectly reasonable to assume a great deal of Giant Breed influence. At "20-30 pounds" there's no question about it unless the cat is actually a visiting alien from a very large planet.

I'm inclined to think that Moo might actually be a Norwegian (especially since we have four considered opinions in that direction on this thread), or a Norwegian/Siberian cross. No matter the heritage, this is one exquisite cat.

Warning: now that we know that Moo is 20 to 30 pounds, do not let mightyboosh mightyboosh anywhere near your home.

;)
This thread isn't a question anymore. It's being overrun by giant cats XD