What breed is my cat

no1isin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ash is a 3 year old male neutered. He is layed back cat loving and sweet has a way of communicating with us we understand him somewhat.
We travel a lot with him and he is registered as himi but we are not sure. We got him at the age of 10 weeks old and as a new 1st time pet owner never asked about the breed.
He is stubby, short leg, short round ears, long haired with a beautiful fluffy tail. His face is somewhat flat and gold beautiful eyes.
I realized as he matured his face and extremeties got darker. I want to know his breed curious and for traveling purposes as well can u help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ash is a 3 year old male neutered. He is layed back cat loving and sweet has a way of communicating with us we understand him somewhat.
We travel a lot with him and he is registered as himi but we are not sure. We got him at the age of 10 weeks old and as a new 1st time pet owner never asked about the breed.
He is stubby, short leg, short round ears, long haired with a beautiful fluffy tail. His face is somewhat flat and gold beautiful eyes.
I realized as he matured his face and extremeties got darker.[/IMG]
I want to know his breed curious and for traveling purposes as well can u help me?

He cant be the usual himi, as they are points of siamese-mix type.   And whatever he is, he is no point of siamese-mix type.  No blue eyes, for example.

However,  he is a point of sorts - he is a point of the burmanese type!   Im sure at least one of his point genes is of the burmanese type, not impossible both are.

A longhaired persian type with perhaps both point genes of the burmanese type, is a difficult feat worthy a professional breeder using half a life-time to construct a new breed.

But with mixes you never know - the mixing was sure made and remade during several generations, could be completely random and spontane.

Although funny as it may be, we had here on this forum a similiar case just a few days ago.   Such a double - triple mix out isnt supposed to be common.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

no1isin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He cant be the usual himi, as they are points of siamese-mix type.   And whatever he is, he is no point of siamese-mix type.  No blue eyes, for example.

However,  he is a point of sorts - he is a point of the burmanese type!   Im sure at least one of his point genes is of the burmanese type, not impossible both are.

A longhaired persian type with perhaps both point genes of the burmanese type, is a difficult feat worthy a professional breeder using half a life-time to construct a new breed.

But with mixes you never know - the mixing was sure made and remade during several generations, could be completely random and spontane.

Although funny as it may be, we had here on this forum a similiar case just a few days ago.   Such a double - triple mix out isnt supposed to be common.
Thank you that's so interesting can you give me the link to the other cat who's similar. ash was imported from USA born November 9, 2012.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you that's so interesting can you give me the link to the other cat who's similar. ash was imported from USA born November 9, 2012.
Imported?  So Ash is supposed to be purebred and everything?  With certificates, papers and all?    If so, perhaps its a breeder worlink on a new type of the breed. Fully possible.  What associations does shehe belongs to?

anyway, here is the link to the tread  I mentioned.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/309086/what-breed-could-my-girl-be#post_3865646

no1isin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

There is an usual thing he does since he was a kitten with his right front paw. When he is finished or full with his feed or water he would shake it meaning "I'm full" is that common? Plus he has underdeveloped teeth that's why he prefers soft diet and doesn't chew his food it's easier for us to use a spoon so he can chew.

no1isin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Imported?  So Ash is supposed to be purebred and everything?  With certificates, papers and all?    If so, perhaps its a breeder worlink on a new type of the breed. Fully possible.  What associations does shehe belongs to?

anyway, here is the link to the tread  I mentioned.
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/309086/what-breed-could-my-girl-be#post_3865646
In our part of the world cat breed or papers isn't of significance so they disposed of it, but since he is my companion travel is an issue since they sometimes put him under Persian or himilyian both are not allowed for air travel because of breathing difficulties.
He doesn't have any Persian in him except the long hair but his face is not completely flat.
That's why I'm looking for the breed to put myself at ease when we travel and he needs to be transported via cargo.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himalayans ARE Persians, that's just the name they give to pointed Persians ;).

The flat face is not common in the general cat population, and is quickly lost in cross-breeding. So he must have recent heritage of a flat-faced breed. If he was sold as a purebred, his papers will have said what breed he is. Not all Persians/Himalayans have the extreme flat face that's preferred in the show ring---even in a show-bred litter only 1 or 2 will be show quality. So I would believe he's a purebred Persian. As for his color, I'm a little iffy on it. Maybe smoke?

His face is likely too flat for them to allow him in airplane cargo, unfortunately. While they do exclude some breeds entirely, they're also allowed to actually look at the animal and see if it has a flat face or other reason it may have difficulty in the cargo hold, and exclude the pet even if the papers say some other breed.

ETA: Hmm, yes, after looking at some pictures I'm pretty sure he's a black smoke Persian.

Last edited:

no1isin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Himalayans ARE Persians, that's just the name they give to pointed Persians ;).
The flat face is not common in the general cat population, and is quickly lost in cross-breeding. So he must have recent heritage of a flat-faced breed. If he was sold as a purebred, his papers will have said what breed he is. Not all Persians/Himalayans have the extreme flat face that's preferred in the show ring---even in a show-bred litter only 1 or 2 will be show quality. So I would believe he's a purebred Persian. As for his color, I'm a little iffy on it. Maybe smoke?

His face is likely too flat for them to allow him in airplane cargo, unfortunately. While they do exclude some breeds entirely, they're also allowed to actually look at the animal and see if it has a flat face or other reason it may have difficulty in the cargo hold, and exclude the pet even if the papers say some other breed.

ETA: Hmm, yes, after looking at some pictures I'm pretty sure he's a black smoke Persian.
Thank you so much you have no idea how long the discussion was in Emirates Cargo was he Persian was he Himiliyain.
So your saying he's Persian? Ash is my first cat so wasn't interested in papers and when I went back to ask 2 years later they disposed of it. I fell in love with this kitty

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As said before, here in the CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) Himalayans are considered a color class of Persians like the solids, tabbies, silvers and so on - there are 7 classes. Your baby does indeed look to be a smoke Persians (not show quality since he doesn't have the flatter face.) If sold as a Himi, he could be a CPC - a color point carrier coming from a breeding with a Himi and another color. That would account for the eye color not being blue also. Of course all of this is just conjecture without looking at the pedigree.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, Himalayans, although being a brand of persians, often tend to not be as flat faced as modern show persians.

I notice the other knowleable persons, think, this is no fancy  burmanese point coloration, but rather, the not very common but less fancy black smoke.   OK, maybe so!