• Toyger

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Egyptian Mau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sokoke

• Bengal

• Other (Comment if you know for sure please!)

• Total voters

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people mistake moggies in the US for American shorthairs which are actually a pedigree breed of cat. Unless your cat came from a breeder, it's a moggie.

He doesn't resemble any of the breeds you listed, and tabby is a pattern, not a breed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That above said, he has some gorgious looks, so it is no wonder you got big ideas about breeds!   :)

With cats, a breed is essentially NOT looks, but what parentage they do have, and what papers / certificate they do have with them.  Certifikates from appropriate cat associations / cat clubs.

No papers = moggie, unless some rare exceptions.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's lovely through looks like a diet might be in order in one of the photos.

However he's no breed at all - tabby is not a breed but a pattern found in most breeds.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, he's a big, beautiful tabby moggie!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful, isn't he? I think brown tabbies are the most beautiful cats out there. I have one, myself.

Your particular brown tabby's pattern is called "broken mackerel tabby", because he has thin stripes (mackerel tabby) that are broken into smaller stripes, a brick-red nose, and black paw pads. I can't tell his eye color very well from the pictures because they change with the light... green-gold, maybe?

No particular breed, but then, most cats aren't. Cat breeding in general is a much younger hobby than dog-breeding, with the result that most cats don't have any purebred ancestry at all. Your kitty is descended from the barn cats, mousers, alley cats, household pets, and companions who probably never had papers, because they never needed them!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cat breeding is younger than dog breeding as cats naturally did what we wanted them to do - caught rodents.  And nearly all breeds can still do that - I'm not sure about Persians with those very flat faces, and their coats would get in a terrible mess - but my Orientals are well able to catch rodents and birds.  So, cat breeds have mostly been developed for looks whereas most dog breeds originate in a dog for a particular purpose - herding, guarding, catching vermin, hunting, pointing, retrieving and so on. 

However even the newer breeds (and for some reason they keep coming) breed true - indeed the registries won't accept a new breed unless it breeds true. 

Last edited:

gizmogizho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is our gizmo me and my guy were lost in a neighborhood at 2 in the am a saw this cold hungry kitten and decided to feed her and she has been with us ever since, granted only been about a month now, but can not figure out what she is can anyone please help us. :rbheart:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo is a black and white bi-colour domestic, no breed.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's lovely.  I adore black & white moggies, which is the affectionate UK term for cats of no particular breed.