What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she is really a striking looking cat! Great tortie pattern, and I like the head shape too.
I call the color pattern Tortoiseshell and White. Some people would call it Calico but I don't think that is really the "correct" use of that term. I think in every English language cat association I can think of, her color / pattern would be Tortoiseshell and White.

re Breed -- The great majority of cats aren't really a breed. Most cats have just bred randomly on their own , and have little or no ancestors of a specific breed in them. They are called "Domestic Shorthair" or "Domestic Longhair" .

Re Tortie, Calico, etc. i will try to tell about cat color/pattern names for cats that have both red & black color:

*Tortoiseshell (or "Tortie" for short) - a cat with both red-based pigment and black-based pigment. no matter if the patches are big or small.

** Tortoiseshell and White (Tortie and White) - red-based pigment and black based pigment and also white patches.

*** Calico : some people recognize also a sort of sub-category of Tortie & White, called "Calico" (which is mostly a North American term, I think? It is used in some breed standards in CFA. ). The more strict definition of "Calico", is when the cat has a LOT of white on the body -- actually I think some of the standards say the cat should be 2/3 white -- with fairly big distinct patches of red-based color and black-based color in the white.

For people who define Calico as I just described, they still use Tortoiseshell and White for a cat with a coat like this, where the red and the black are more mottled up in small bits, and then there's also a white patch.

"Tortoiseshell Tabby" / "Torbie" / " Patched Tabby" -- these are just different names for when the cat has both black-based pigment, & red-based pigment, AND also has a tabby pattern that can be seen in BOTH the red and black patches.

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ZOT. I have 2 full bred pedigreed pet quality zots with champion parents. (ZOT is what we call exotics ).They look like short haired Persians. They are their own recognized breed that were originally derived from breeding British Shorthairs with Persians. 

WOW, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENNED TO THE POST I WAS REPLYING TOO LOL. IT WAS A VIDEO WITH A LITTLE ZOT LOOKING KITTEN,

Last edited:

kittykat9327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks, i had no idea what she was, her vet says she is healthy and pretty lean under her coat, her sisters came out looking like her and her brother was all white, her mom was a pedogry cat the fistey torti you can find. this helped thankyou

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her mom was a pedigree cat ( is that what you meant? Her mom had registration papers and pedigree?) if you know what breed her mother was , what it said in her mother's pedigree about the ancestors, that will tell you half her ancestry anyway.

OK I'm changing my answer about pattern! Kilala is Torbie and White. ( also called Patched Tabby and White). .
I mentioned it in the other post about her. Torbie is short for Tortoiseshell-Tabby.
I looked closer and it definitely looks like tabby markings in the black and the red on her legs.
Torbie and White is one of the most complicated and varied cat patterns there is! She is so dramatic looking!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will ALWAYS see tabby markings to a greater or lesser degree in the red fur.  A tortie-tabby has them in the black fur as well.

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that most posters know there cats  are pets not  registered cats they are just asking for fun.   I have 6 full bred cats, all registered with good lines but by zot girl is pet quality and if she didn't have her papers I would doubt her lineage LOL! Also many breeds are called extremely rare and I can tell you nothing is that rare here in that US. I live in a very small state and there are reputable breeders of show cats of almost every breed except American Curl.  Baton Rouge is a huge show community. 

Last edited by a moderator:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that most posters know there cats  are pets not  registered cats they are just asking for fun and that fun is ruined by élitist comments.

Also many breeds are called extremely rare and I can tell you nothing is that rare here in that US. I live in a very small state and there are reputable breeders of show cats of almost every breed except American Curl.  Baton Rouge is a huge show community. 
That's interesting, nothing is rare over there? Now I know where to impott a cat from when I need to find a next one. 

How many Sokoke breeders do you have around? How about Kurilian Bobtails? Neva Masquerades? European Shorthairs? British Longhairs?

The cat shows we have here often have 500-700 cats, and even then there are lots of breeds completely missing.

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are Sokoke breeders in Idaho, Ohio and a couple in Washington State that I have seen at cat shows. The Russian Kurilian Bobtail are here too. I saw some beautiful cats by the USA PRIDE cattery. The Neva Masquerade is a variation of the Siberian and is very common here. We have European shorthairs ,not to be mistaken for the American or Bristish Shorthairs. And of course we have British Longhairs and I'm not talking about Persians. Thank you for your interest. 

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that most posters know there cats  are pets not  registered cats they are just asking for fun I have 6 full bred cats, all registered with good lines but by zot girl is pet quality and if she didn't have her papers I would doubt her lineage LOL! Also many breeds are called extremely rare and I can tell you nothing is that rare here in that US. I live in a very small state and there are reputable breeders of show cats of almost every breed except American Curl.  Baton Rouge is a huge show community. 
We love seeing photos of these beautiful cats and it is fun to describe how they look (color, coat pattern, unique features and so on). It can be said that certain cats might bring to mind a particular breed, and often that type of answer is given.

Last edited:

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give fun examples pointing out  simularities to a breed without stating you are an expert that can supply papers of registration of course! Since many of the posters don't even reside on the same continent I think all that is desired is a little lighthearted conversation about their pet.

Last edited by a moderator:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will ALWAYS see tabby markings to a greater or lesser degree in the red fur.  A tortie-tabby has them in the black fur as well.
I know, that's why I said in the red and in the black. In other words, not just in the red. has to be tabby also in the black to be a torbie.
but thanks for adding that. maybe your explanation will make it more clear to people.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would you think I'd mistake a European Shorthair to a BSH or an ASH? They don't even resemble each other.  And I didn't imply that British Longhairs would be Persians either, that's just ridiculous.
 After all, I am a BSH/BLH breeder.. My point was that the breeds I listed are usually not that common, so out of curiosity I asked how many breeders you have on your state.

lynneanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was trying to be nice and answer your questions the best I could. I didn't research what you breed. Sorry. 

kittykat9327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, you all had good answers. I looked up the breed you suggested and they do look alike. I contacted her moms owner and she was some kind of pedigree just wasn't sure what kind. Im just going to classify her as human, since she acts like one. Lolz

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just going back a way to this lovely lad... Something that wasn't mentioned, and just in case you didn't know, white cats are really prone to sunburn and really should be inside kitties..

sugar sukar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is super adorable :)

Probably a Turkish Angora mixed cat. My dad has a pure Turkish Angora male , and he looks almost identical to her :)

I hope you kept her, she is rather cute ):

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Think the people with the white cat are in the US, and genuine Turkish Angoras are very, very rare there.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... It's kind of a pity they're so rare; they're beautiful cats. Still, every once in a while a cat really is a hybrid of a rare breed--though you can't tell the difference between that and an accidental combination of genes that just reminds you of a breed without any relation.

Status
Not open for further replies.