What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebeattie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I love my cat dearly. He is very commical and very independent. He's a mess!!! But, he is very cute too.  His name is Pumpkin.  He arrived with that name at the age of 2.  He's 7 now and doesn't look a day over 5.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Faubulous cat, wonderful evil expression.  Can't tell from the photo about his proportions as camera phones tend to distort - in the photo he has huge paws.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a cute picture, he looks sweet but also looks like his devious little cat brain is at work. Looks like he has a sense of humor.
In this picture Pumpkin reminds me just a little bit of a Norwegian Forest Cat in a summer coat. I don't mean he IS one, unless you're in Norway. But it's a breed that originally developed on its own. so sometimes some random-bred "Domestic Longhairs" can turn out to look like them in some ways.
It may be the way he is lying makes his head look more triangular.
Thanks for sharing!

I love my cat dearly. He is very commical and very independent. He's a mess!!! But, he is very cute too.  His name is Pumpkin.  He arrived with that name at the age of 2.  He's 7 now and doesn't look a day over 5.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if he was brought in at 6 months already neutered, i would not call that late! I mean, they CAN be neutered at 2 months. but 6 months used to be the standard age and still is in many places. So a kitten neutered before that wouldn't be neutered late. and the time of neuter would not be affecting his appearance if he is only 6 months old.
I just think this kitten looks like he's gonna be a big boy. Stunning kitten!
he's got almost a sort of wild look.

Pretty sure he's some sort of shorthair mix, but does it look like he was neutered late? The shelter had no information on the  cat except that it was brought in by someone and was maybe 6 months old already neutered. His head and nose are quite large compared to our other cats

chyello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well if he was brought in at 6 months already neutered, i would not call that late! I mean, they CAN be neutered at 2 months. but 6 months used to be the standard age and still is in many places. So a kitten neutered before that wouldn't be neutered late. and the time of neuter would not be affecting his appearance if he is only 6 months old.
I just think this kitten looks like he's gonna be a big boy. Stunning kitten!
he's got almost a sort of wild look.

I guess he's just a dominant/wild male, as soon as we brought him home he immediately started harrasing our female adult cat, chasing it and holding it while biting it's neck scruff (he didn't stop doing this until months later). He required no adjusting to our home, and within a week would try to go outside at every opportunity. Additionally he doesn't know how to play fight, his claws are out constantly and will be sharp as knives about 2 days after cutting

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I could cry. Your Pumpkin is exactly like our sweetheart, Speedboat, who left us for the Rainbow Bridge two years ago. There is something about these big orange kitties. Pumpkin is precious. Hug him for me, twice. :nod:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like 95% or so of cats, she is of no particular breed - she's a tabby & white domestic shorthair.  She will probably grow into her ears as she matures.

She's also telling you her bowl is empty and you are a bad slave!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a Balinese. Balinese is the longhair version of Siamese, so the whole built and coat texture of the cat is wrong. Without registration papers he's a domestic longhair, his colour is seal point. He's very cute!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good heavens, is that a cute kitten or what?! Ridiculously cute! Those ears! That face!

Really, the odds are that she is probably "pure domestic shorthair" ( in other words, not a breed) and as Oriental says, she'll probably grow into those ears. Sometimes kittens just have their ears growing faster than the rest of them and it makes people think it must be from some selective breeding, when usually it is entirely random.

The vast majority of cats aren't any breed. It's not like dogs where even the "mutts" are mixes of breeds and a knowledgeable dog person can often make a reasonable guess as to some of their ancestry. With cats the vast majority have just bred randomly on their own over the centuries, and have a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world. These cats are known as domestic shorthair or domestic longhair, or affectionately called "moggy" cats , and they come in a great variety of colors, patterns, sizes, coat lengths etc.

Her color/ pattern looks like Brown Tabby and White but I can't tell what kind of tabby pattern from the photos. If you have a photo from the side that shows the coat pattern, we can tell you that.
But you can figure it out yourself too.
If the colored part on her side looks like vertical stripes , then she is Brown Mackerel Tabby and White.
If it is spotted ( but not just because some stripes are broken, but more distinct spots) , replace "Mackerel Tabby" with "Spotted Tabby. "
If every hair in the colored part on her side & back is individually striped (banded) , then it's "Ticked Tabby." and if the non-white areas have a pattern of sort of swirls and whorls and odd shapes, that's "Classic Tabby" (which some call "Blotched" )

She is definitely a cutie and I bet will grow up to be a beautiful cat.

My kitten is about 10 weeks but has very large ears. Would love to get some insight on her breed

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good heavens, is that a cute kitten or what?! Ridiculously cute! Those ears! That face!

Really, the odds are that she is probably "pure domestic shorthair" ( in other words, not a breed) and as Oriental says, she'll probably grow into those ears. Sometimes kittens just have their ears growing faster than the rest of them and it makes people think it must be from some selective breeding, when usually it is entirely random.
<snip>
As I've got used to looking at Orientals and Siamese, I can see as my kittens grow that sometimes they are out of proportion - one bit grows faster than another - and hopefully in time it will all sort itself out.  They do vary anyway - the Siamese kitten is shorter in the leg compared to his sister, and she is generally daintier, but then he would eat with both hands if he was a small boy!

If you think those are big ears, go looking for photos of pedigree Siamese & Oriental kittens - a colleague called mine 'bat eared kittens'!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mohamed, He's a cute cat and sounds like the kind of cat I like - playful and talkative . :-)
What is his name?

Without knowing for sure his ancestry, the most you can say is he is a Seal Point Domestic Longhair (which just means a Seal point cat of unknown ancestry).
Real Balinese are rather rare and don't have such a thick undercoat and what looks like heavier boning. (There are breeders who sell so-called Balinese who look like this, but I think those are mixes with a lot more Western ancestry . )
He looks more like a Ragdoll than like a Balinese. but without papers he is probably not that either. There are lots of cats with this coloring who are not any specific breed. Having the pointed pattern means he almost certainly had SOME Siamese ancestry but it's hard to say how much. could be from a recent ancestor or it could be an ancestor from 50 years ago and just got passed down through many, many generations of other cats.
It sounds like he acts kind of Siamese though. ( Obviously he's not a purebred Siamese but you never know, it's POSSIBLE he might have some Siamese relative not too far back. )

He looks a bit like my cat Frankie who was adopted from a rescue group. Frankie had a long body like it looks like your cat does. and similar coat. except Frankie was a chocolate point not seal, had a somewhat less round head, and he had a very typical Siamese voice -- low pitched and raspy. I just called him a Siamese - Domestic Longhair mix. Which was technically accurate even if I don't know for sure how much Siamese he was.
Or you can use the word I made up "Siamoggy" . :-)
Like my Frankie, your kitty doesn't look like he is a purebred of any breed but he sounds like a great cat!

i want know my cat breed he is playful and noisy with alot of meowing all time and he is long hair ,i think he is balinese 

bashang83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a cat 2 weeks ago. But don't know what's her breed?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat 2 weeks ago. But don't know what's her breed?
Gotta post a picture. :) Odds are she is one of the many cats without a purebred parent, but non-purebred cats come in a wild variety of colors, shapes, sizes, and personalities, and there's an official lexicon to describe their colors.

Should be an "image" icon somewhat to the top left of the post when you hit the reply button; you can upload your pic there and stick it in your post.

Last edited:

bashang83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oops! i'm so sorry... i was using my phone while i posted my question. thought the image was uploaded. now i'm trying to upload it here in my laptop... thank u for the reply. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.