What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crystal, why did they thought Oscar is half persian??

Anyway, withouth any safe proofs nor even good indicies, nor any definite looks, we cant know what breed he is, and definitely not what mix he is.

But we can speculate what a little look alike he is, if you arent happy with his being Domestic Short Hair, or Moggie as they also commonly say.

He is perhaps a little look alike an European Shorthair, especielly as you arent no american, you do live in Europe.

Anyway, he is pretty. If he has a good psyche, you should and try to let him participate in Cats Shows, in the Pet class.

Good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi Bella!

Let me think, such are the longhaired pointed "masqued" breeds, to perhaps compare her with:

Holy Birma.

Neva Masquerade (which are essentially masqued Siberians)

Ragdoll

Himalayan (which are essentially masqued Persians, although their noses arent quite so short-peked as in the modern Persian)

--- Perhaps some more.

One of the problems, is, being nicely pointed dont proves any real breed.  The point gene is recessive, and is not seen in a carrier. But if two point genes meets in a kitten - voilá - we get the overall look of a pointed cat.

So for example, now and then, in a russian blue litter, there is born such a "siamese old type"!

The same story is also with long haired.

So the parent could be virtually any looks, most propably moggies.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she looks like a long hair Siamese i think)
Lovely cat but nothing like a longhair Siamese.  Wrong shape, wrong coat, the only thing she has in common is the colourpoint markings, which are found in many other breeds.

She's a seal-point domestic longhair - can't see any white.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know much about cats, my mom is allergic and then I've lived in apartments that dont allow animals since I moved out. This is a stray cat... possibly even feral that I was able to gain the trust of after a few weeks. After a few months I've gained her complete trust.

She seems to startle and run away quickly when other people come around. She does so in this video, this is the first time she'd ever stayed near when someone walked by, possibly because she expects I would protect her (and she's right) if someone were to try to hurt her. She runs off and hides behind the bikes at some point in this video but comes back at 39seconds into the video and then remains in the shot until the end. 

She seems -very- smart. She's totally got me trained lol. She's very vocal. Meows - a lot-. She is extremely affectionate and loves to be stroked and loved. She will follow me around like a puppy and if she feels like I'm going to go inside and leave her company she will run in front of my legs to try to stop me from going. LoL She's been known to sit by my door at night until I come outside. 

I think her fur coloring is called a "Tuxedo" I just wondered if she's a specific breed of cat or maybe a mix of some kinds. If you have an idea of what breed this sweet girl is please let me know. 

Either way, regardless of if she's just a mutt or if you can tell me what kind of cat she is, I adore her and we've become very close friends.

Also, do you know if she'd hate me forever if I tried to give her a bath? She's not that dirty and she doesn't smell or anything, however she does live outside... I'd like to give her one but I don't want to lose all that trust I spent all those months building with her. LoL Thanks for your help. 
Hi LittleWish! Yes, the patter is called Tuxedo, or Bicolor. It is quite common. The "breed" is surely the most common of them all, domestic, or moggie. Domestic Short Hair.

Nay, you dont need to bathe her if she isnt heavily soiled by for example, grease or  car oils.

I DONT recommed to you to do it.

Unless you want to adopt her as your inside kitty, and that bath is the symbolical, ritualised entrance into being your home cats.  Yes, in this case, you will have my blessing for both adoption and this, otherwise, unnecessary bath.   :)

So, for this moment she is your outside kitty.  Is she spayed??   If not, please do it ASAP!

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

If you want to answer to this my post, please write it in the Feral Rescue Forum, I will see it there.

Im not asking a mod to move this your post in there yet, so you dont think the post just disappeared.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding bathing cats:
Usually not necessary; if the cat stinks or has gotten into something poisonous, it may be. Show cats are bathed and so are cats owned by people with allergies. Some cats regularly get dirty or don't lick themselves clean and they may need to be bathed. There are also wipes made for cleaning cats, which aren't as unpleasant to the cat as a water bath.

Better idea would be to get one of those spot flea treatments from your vet, the kind that you put on her skin between her shoulder blades. That will help with parasites she is sure to pick up outside. Fleas are likely to survive baths, actually, so the flea treatment is probably your best bet.

Last edited:

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she is a stray, dont try to give her a bath just yet. Even though she acts really nice around you, you dont really know where she has been. The best thing you can do for her, is to try to get her into a crate and take her to the vet! She needs to get fixed, if she isnt already and get her shots so that you and her are protected. After that, maybe let her live with you if your home allows cats. Gain her trust, get to know her as a cat. And honestly, if she was a kitten I would say train her to take baths (I have a cat litter allergy and for my sake my kitty has to take a bath from time to time), but she is an adult and she may hurt you as you get her into water. BUT you can get waterless bathing wipes at any pet store and just run one over her fur from time to time. Its not as good, but its better than her hurting you.

nara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been having a tough time figuring out what breed my girl is
her mother was a barn cat so she is a moggie 
and she was abandoned at a young age so they don't even know what the mother looks like 
and her fur color has constantly changed through the months I've had her
and so far I think she looks like a sepia ragdoll mix or a tortie mix of some sort what do you think?

View media item 147466

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow she is beautiful! :love:
Not sure what her coat colour is called - dilute tortie maybe?

nara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats what I thought too I wanted her to be a ragdoll but truthfully I don't care, she's so weird and unique in many ways 
and thank you I've personally never seen a dark brown cat like her 

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What made you think of a Ragdoll? If that's her in the last pic, she's a domestic longhair, colour is tortie (with white, if the paws are white and not red, my monitor makes them look red though). Looks like she had a fever coat while growing up, hence the colour changes.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With torties the red colours also develop as they grow which can give the appearance of the coat changing colour.  Also her fur growing longer can cause apparent change.

Nice cat, very sweet piccie of the two of them.

nara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh it's cause i've never seen a brown long haired cat like that other than ragdoll's or the birman breed 
and yes her paws are a cream color more orange though 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! Mine has those ear tufts too! You just can't see it in that photo 

Last edited:

chyello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty sure he's some sort of shorthair mix, but does it look like he was neutered late? The shelter had no information on the  cat except that it was brought in by someone and was maybe 6 months old already neutered. His head and nose are quite large compared to our other cats

Status
Not open for further replies.