What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Willowfire, I really like her almost symmetrical markings on her face,, with the way the line between black and white goes down the middle of each eye... and with her eyeliner!

The official name for her color pattern is Black and White Bicolor. but nickname "Tuxedo".
Cats aren't like dogs that are usually a breed or mix of breeds. The great majority have just developed from cats breeding randomly on their own and are not likely to have any pedigreed ancestry. These random-bred cats come in a great variety of colors, patterns, coat lengths, sizes etc. and are just known as Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhair, or affectionately called "moggies" . :-)
She sure is pretty !

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are those old photos? She doesn't look a year old in them. Did you let her outside unspayed? If so, she is probably pregnant.. You should get her spayed as soon as she has them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Willowfire.

I agree and second with all the comments you got so far.

If we interpret your question into, what breed she is perhaps somewhat look alike to, so I have an idea.

I think she is somewhat look alike a Norwegian Forest Cat,

with her triangular face. Bicolor is quite common in NFC.

willowfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
maybe i dont really know that why i asked in the first place ))

but thanks

willowfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i will spray her after she just got out somehow i dont really know ho but now i let her out with a collar for 10 minutes she got used to it but i go outside with her so no male comes to her i never leave her out of sight because this is going to be her first liter and yes shes 11 months when march comes shes going to be 1 year old

kailani97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my cats are from the shelter, so I'm sure they're mixes of who-knows-how-many breeds, but I think Misty might have some Maine Coon in her. What do you think?

She has medium/long greyish-brown fur, depending on the lighting. Usually it looks more grey, a darker grey. You can't really tell from the photos, but she has fur tufts at the tips of her ears. The shelter identified her as a long-haired tabby. Whatever she is, I think she's adorable!

And this is Muffin. I don't see any distinctive features of specific breeds, so I'm guessing she's just a domestic shorthair with a tortoiseshell pattern. Thoughts?

Come on, look at that sweet face! :)

willowfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so cute im not sure what breed but it really looks like a maine coon just like you said

willowfire

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the one in the tree is probably a Siberian its a wonderful cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both of my cats are from the shelter, so I'm sure they're mixes of who-knows-how-many breeds, but I think Misty might have some Maine Coon in her. What do you think?

... The shelter identified her as a long-haired tabby.

And this is Muffin. I don't see any distinctive features of specific breeds, so I'm guessing she's just a domestic shorthair with a tortoiseshell pattern. Thoughts?
The shelters "label" on Misty is correct.   :)

But yes, if you want to compare her with a breed, so she may be said to be a somewhat look alike a Maine Coon.

For Muffin I would like to have more good pics, to get  ideas for inspired guesswork.   :)

kailani97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sure! Muffin doesn't like to have her picture taken (she almost always turns away from the camera and puts her ears back) but I managed to get this one after a couple of tries:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i will spray her after she just got out somehow i dont really know ho but now i let her out with a collar for 10 minutes she got used to it but i go outside with her so no male comes to her i never leave her out of sight because this is going to be her first liter and yes shes 11 months when march comes shes going to be 1 year old
Poor baby, not even a year old and she's pregnant... I just want to snuggle her. :( Yeah, cats take like a couple of seconds to mate, and that's it. Ten minutes is plenty of time for some random stray tom to find her and get her pregnant.

See, this is why I want more vets to do early spay/neuter, so that a kitten can be spayed already when it goes to its new home. It's as safe as any other s/n operation provided the kitten is healthy and weighs two pounds or more. It'd prevent stuff like this from happening, prevent kittens from having kittens and pet owners from having surprise litters to try to vet and take care of and vaccinate and everything. I've heard of cats as young as four months getting pregnant. Sometimes they don't know what to do with the kittens, and it really takes it out of them because they're still so small.

Just get her good vet care and feed her some high-quality kitten food, and be ready to step in if she's confused about what to do with kittens, and you'll be okay. See if you can find a vet to neuter mom and kittens, maybe even give you a discount on the lot of them, or find a low-cost clinic (usually if you are low income there are rescues which will help you pay for it because they know low-income people can't afford their cats to have kittens).

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is such a shame she wasn't neutered when she should have been - by 6 months old.  There are so many cats and kittens struggling to get a home in shelters and rescues before they are euthanased that the last thing they need is yet more kittens.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the one in the tree is probably a Siberian its a wonderful cat
Unless it has come from a breeder with papers it's not a Siberian or any other breed.  It's a lovely cat but it's not a Siberian, which are a fairly new breed outside of Russia and hence also a pretty rare breed. 

bellamoonaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys .. I'm new here sorry if the image of my kitty is big, I don't know how to make it small.. just wanna ask you wonderful ladies and gents if you guys know the breed of my cat.. I adopted her three weeks ago. thanks ..

littlewish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don't know much about cats, my mom is allergic and then I've lived in apartments that dont allow animals since I moved out. This is a stray cat... possibly even feral that I was able to gain the trust of after a few weeks. After a few months I've gained her complete trust.

She seems to startle and run away quickly when other people come around. She does so in this video, this is the first time she'd ever stayed near when someone walked by, possibly because she expects I would protect her (and she's right) if someone were to try to hurt her. She runs off and hides behind the bikes at some point in this video but comes back at 39seconds into the video and then remains in the shot until the end. 

She seems -very- smart. She's totally got me trained lol. She's very vocal. Meows - a lot-. She is extremely affectionate and loves to be stroked and loved. She will follow me around like a puppy and if she feels like I'm going to go inside and leave her company she will run in front of my legs to try to stop me from going. LoL She's been known to sit by my door at night until I come outside. 

I think her fur coloring is called a "Tuxedo" I just wondered if she's a specific breed of cat or maybe a mix of some kinds. If you have an idea of what breed this sweet girl is please let me know. 

Either way, regardless of if she's just a mutt or if you can tell me what kind of cat she is, I adore her and we've become very close friends.

Also, do you know if she'd hate me forever if I tried to give her a bath? She's not that dirty and she doesn't smell or anything, however she does live outside... I'd like to give her one but I don't want to lose all that trust I spent all those months building with her. LoL Thanks for your help. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bellamonna,  I dont see clearly the nose.  Is it very short nose, shorter then most other cats?

Please add some extra, good pic!

Willowfire,  nay, this is NOT a long haired siamese, nor even somewhat look alike; the long haired siameses = balinese looks different.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.