What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Cat Person ,  I forgot to answer your question about why the California Spangled didn't get full championship in TICA.  I'm not saying I know the inside scoop for sure.   but  will make some guesses 

I actually think they may have been at one time in what is now called the Championship Advancement program.   

To move up  to Championship status,  you have to meet certain requirements for number  of breeders , number of regions,  number of cats registered and cats shown in  the New Breed Classes  

To be honest I don't know what the exact rules were in the 1980s.  

But it may be that they just were not organized enough or didn't have enough breeders motivated enough to meet those requirements ,  so they got  put back to Registration Only. 

I seem to recall hearing something that with the publicity they got from  advertising in Nieman Marcus luxury catalog,  they did get a lot of demand for kittens,  but then the small number of breeders got more into "filling orders" than really developing the breed for the long term.   I dont know if that is true. may just be other people were envious of the publicity.  I do think some people in the fancy thought that ad was sort of tacky and I suppose that might have given them some problems.   

Meanwhile, the Bengal was first accepted for registration in 1983 and in a couple years got Championship.  So that was starting to take off and some people who wanted a cat with an 'image' of being like a wild cat,  wanted one that really was a hybrid.  

On the other hand you had an older domestic spotted breed,  the Egyptian Mau.  Then  you had the Ocicats  that had started in the 1960s and were recognized  in the mid to late 1980s by both CFA and TICA.    They may have just got more breeders interested in them,   and they may have just played their cards better.  

I think people from some of the other domestic spotted shorthair breeds questioned the need for yet another one.    

I was not involved in any of these breeds so keep in mind this is not first hand info. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ILoveManeCoons. It is correct, the PATTERN of yours Coco is the Van pattern, after Turkish Van.

Thus, you can say she is also a Turkish Van look alike, if you want.

But what the BREED here is, is a different matter. What a breed is, is not what they are similiar to, but what parentage and ancestry they do have. Normally it shall be proved by suitable papers from an recognized association, Pedigree "birth certificate".  Or at least - good proofs.

Its only about 3% of owned cats who are such purebreeds.   And Turkish Van is one of the more rare breeds.  While the pattern as such, is not uncommon at all.   The other 97 procent doesnt belong to any especial breed, they are "just" the regular population of cats, with all possible genes spread among them. They are called for domestic, or sometimes  lovingly for moggies.  In Poland they may be called for the Roof cats.  :)

The gene for the Van pattern seems to be quite strong, being more or less dominant. It is thus quite common a Van patterned mom gets also kittens with Van  pattern, almost independently who the male was.

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Roof cats"     Thats kind of cool.   Sounds better than what they're called in France -- gutter cats! 

& yes  I   agree with Stefan.   The Van pattern is actually quite common, seen in cats all over the world.   but the Turkish Van breed   is one of the more rare cat breeds ( and nearly all cat breeds are rare when compared to popular dog breeds) .      It's not impossible an adult TV might end up at a shelter.  but there are a lot more  van-patterned "Domestic Longhairs" from other parts of the world than there are actual Turkish Vans.    

Many people get their idea of breeds from dogs, which usually ARE a specific breed or a mix of breeds.  so they think cats must be the same,  and if they adopt or find a cat,  they think it must surely be a breed or a mix of breeds.  But it's not the same for cats.  There has been much less selective breeding of them and the vast majority have just bred randomly on their own.  Most cats are sort of like where dogs were thousands of years ago before people started to selectively breed them for many different jobs.  

( It gets complicated because many cat breeds started from groups of cats who had just bred on their own and developed a certain type ,   by chance and/ or in response to the environment.    The Turkish Van is one of those "natural breeds".  ) 

Re the van pattern,  it is a very high grade of White Spotting resulting from the White Spotting gene.  Usually a cat with this much white would have inherited it from both parents.   If a cat has 2 of it,  they will give it to all kittens and all the kittens will almost certainly have at least some white.   ( I say almost certainly because although it is dominant, it is variable in expression. )  

Coco is a beautiful girl and she does resemble a Turkish Van enough  to call her a "Van-alike".    I wouldn't say she has "all the characteristics of the breed" without her being examined in person by an expert  ,  a breeder of pedigreed Turkish Vans or a very experienced cat show judge who has handled many Turkish Vans.   for example if you showed her as a Household Pet you might have a chance to ask for an opinion.    Differences in type can be subtle  and there are things like coat type & texture that can't be determined for sure from a photo.  and the coat texture is a crucial part of the Turkish Van standard. 

But she sure is a very pretty van-patterned Tortie and White , no matter what her ancestry may be.    

Last edited:

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of my lump of love and fur Oreo. His mother lived across the street from us and was a big grey fluffy cat. She was an outdoor/indoor cat who would sometimes come home pregnant, and would go outside to have the kittens so he is more and likely an everyday domestic cat.

Alot of people tell me he is a very nice looking cat(even those who don't like cats) and I was wondering from his size and looks if he may have a strain of one of the larger northern breeds in him. I'm not sure if his mother was any certain breed(belonged to the sister of my mother's friend) but she was also a big framed furry cat and it has me curious.

Any thoughts on what he may resemble?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  It's a little hard to see for sure the head shape in the first photo,  but in the 2nd photo I would say of those northern breeds , he definitely looks closest to Maine Coon ,   quite like the foundation Maine Coons --  and considering what part of the world you're from -  not too far from Maine --,  that totally makes sense.   It doesn't  mean he has pedigreed Maine Coon ancestors,  but may share more distant ancestors with them.    or in any case he descends from cats who developed in the same sort of environment and got a very similar look.     I don't want to overstate thing just from a photo but  I would be tempted to call him a natural Maine Coon.    

He is a very striking and handsome cat! 

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  It's a little hard to see for sure the head shape in the first photo,  but in the 2nd photo I would say of those northern breeds , he definitely looks closest to Maine Coon ,   quite like the foundation Maine Coons --  and considering what part of the world you're from -  not too far from Maine --,  that totally makes sense.   It doesn't  mean he has pedigreed Maine Coon ancestors,  but may share more distant ancestors with them.    or in any case he descends from cats who developed in the same sort of environment and got a very similar look.     I don't want to overstate thing just from a photo but  I would be tempted to call him a natural Maine Coon.    

He is a very striking and handsome cat! 
Thank you for the info, no matter what kind of cats he may or may not be realted to he's still my favourite ball of fluff =)

Looking at some pictures of maine coon cats on google, he does seem to be closest to them.

MeaganAndAlbert, I  believe that would be called a tabby. What form or variation I'm not sure but would say maybe mackeral?

Beautiful dog as well =)

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meagan and Albert -- 

You take great photos!     She is a Brown Mackerel Tabby  and it's what some call a  Broken Mackerel  pattern since the stripes are broken up.   

she has a lot of ticking throughout the coat.  

Looks very reminiscent of the domestic cat's wild ancestor Felis silvestris lybica. 

Looks like she is pals with the dog. 

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info, no matter what kind of cats he may or may not be realted to he's still my favourite ball of fluff =)

Looking at some pictures of maine coon cats on google, he does seem to be closest to them.
 yep and that is what is most important is that he's your favourite ball of fluff!      

but yeah he really does have a Maine Coon look to him.      look at that muzzle.   very Coonie looking.     He is basically like the original Maine Coon the way they developed on their own.    and from what I have read, the maritime provinces were included in the area where they could occasionally be found and maybe still can.  though they originally did develop locally in Maine.

You might find this article interesting  http://maine-cooncat.com/ismy.html

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MeaganAndAlbert, I  believe that would be called a tabby. What form or variation I'm not sure but would say maybe mackeral?

Beautiful dog as well =)
Meagan and Albert -- 

You take great photos!     She is a Brown Mackerel Tabby  and it's what some call a  Broken Mackerel  pattern since the stripes are broken up.   

she has a lot of ticking throughout the coat.  

Looks very reminiscent of the domestic cat's wild ancestor Felis silvestris lybica. 

Looks like she is pals with the dog. 
Thanks guys! 

She owns the dog... He must be there when she wants to rub him or play with his tail. He loves her though :) They are good ffriends.

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little Royale was born the only white one out of a tabby cat litter. They all vary in color, some dark, some light, and she was initially pure white, but slowly she began fading to grey in some areas. Her tail? Bottoms of her paws, nose, ears. I was wondering if she was an albino? Some have commented saying she was a type of albino, and that sometimes Albinos can fade in "cold" areas of the body. If she was darker, she'd have stripes, since I do see some forming on these "dark areas". Her eyes are a very light blue, and have a reddish tint when the light hits them. Kind of like a lab rat, then only way I can describe it. Any one have some input? I'm very curious. I'll try to upload a picture, but its not working at the moment.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do agree she does look a lot like a ragdoll, in fact looks a lot like mine when he was a kitten. She is most likely a pointed domestic, so both of her parents had a point gene. Really gorgeous cat! And I for sure do not think she is an albino. You may want to think about showing in the pet category as she really is striking!

Here is a pic of my ragdoll when he was a kitten:

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This is an albino, they sometimes have blue eyes, sometimes red. But the main way of telling if he/she is an albino is if they have pink features. Especially around the eyes, ears and nose. Your kitty has dark features :) Very beautiful kitten you have 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like a bluepoint, and her points will become darker as she ages. Gorgeous kitten. l have a bluepoint too, l think they're wonderful.

That's a beautiful ragdoll, Franksmom.

Status
Not open for further replies.