What Breed is My Cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thnx for the answers. So my cat is an exotic shorthair persian thats sth nice to know :)
Both of you guys told me to neuter him asap. Why is that? İs it because of 5 months or the breed speciality or sth else?
For one thing he will likely start going nuts and spraying all over the place soon if you don't.... and once he starts, good luck stopping that behavior - the longer he goes like that, the harder it is to stop. Also, his tendency will be to dash out of the house to look for females to mate..... Frankly, with millions of cats being put to sleep every year due to over population, the last thing you want is more unwanted kittens on the streets..... Let alone the risk of you losing your baby, diseases, cat fights, testicular cancer, and the list goes on and on.....
Please, please do not intend to breed him because you know he might be a purebred Persian..... Without papers he is just a moggie... (as far as breeding goes, I mean, even though he might be a pure bred ;)) :nod:

Last edited:

violetxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To whom this may concern,

I by no means meant to offend anyone by trying to get your personal/professional opinion on the ancestry of my cats. I know my cats are moggies and love them just the same, nor do I have any preference for breed. I actually have great respect for breeders and applaud you for what you do, however, based on some of your remarks (I assume they are from either breeders or purebred owners) you have not made a very good first impression, nor seem like the people I have invisioned you to be.

On a positive note, I appreciate all the insightful and complimentary responses given!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not offended, just puzzled that some people want their cat to be a breed when nearly always it's clearly a moggie, ancestry completely unknown.  In the UK, less than 24,000 pedigree cats were registered with the GCCF in 2010, which will be a drop in the ocean compared to the number of moggies born.   You can see how unlikely that makes it that most cats have any any substantial inheritance from cats of a particular breed. 

Maybe the question is put badly, but even 'what breed does my cat look like' rarely has a good answer especially from a photo, without actually seeing and feeling the cat or kitten especially if one hasn't seen good examples of the breed - descriptions in books are often nebulous or inaccurate, and interpreting the standard of points if one is not aquainted with the breed is hard as well. 

The sweet kitten in the video is the first of the many photos 'what breed is my cat' photos I've seen here I've been sure is probably a cross-breed - his face is so clearly Persian-type, though nothing like a modern show-bench Persian or Exotic in a number of ways which is why I'm hedging to 'Persian cross' or 'Exotic cross'.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sweet kitten in the video is the first of the many photos 'what breed is my cat' photos I've seen here I've been sure is probably a cross-breed - his face is so clearly Persian-type........

why I'm hedging to 'Persian cross' or 'Exotic cross'.
Agree with Persian or Exotic mix, bit surprised at a rescue adopting out without desexing first, I do hope you'll get him fixed soon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of you guys told me to neuter him asap. Why is that? İs it because of 5 months or the breed speciality or sth else?
5 months is a good age to neuter a male cat. I have waited as long as 7 months with no bad behaviors, but if you let him get to 8+ months without neutering you run a high risk of him starting to spray urine all over (they do it to attract females). So that's why everyone was saying he should be neutered soon :).

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thnx for the answers. So my cat is an exotic shorthair persian thats sth nice to know

The main reason is problems are soon to come, as the others explained.

Next question you perhaps think on:  If my cat not only resembles somewhat a breed, but may even  be a "pure bred" although without papers, shall I not breed him?  Aint I supposed to breed him if he is a pure breed?

And the answer is easy. NO.  Even many/ most purebreds, with papers and everything, are neutered.

They are recommended to go on with breeding in some form only if they are supposed to make the breed better.

Either by their own looks, excellent health etc, or at least, by the known lineage they are bearing.

In a show they shall get at least the grade Excellent.  They dont necessarily must be show winners, some/many good breeding animals arent show winners.  But the grade Excellent for their breeds standards they must have.  Or at least equivalent+ if they werent showed.  (they usually are).

So, the recommendation for you is easy:  Let the vet do his job.   :)

IF you want to show, the  Pet / domestic class is open for all "non standard breed" cats and for pure moggies.  Although Pet class is also a neuter class. Adult cats in the Pet class shall be neutered.

This is another, third reason for you to "let scissors go".  :)

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 months is a good age to neuter a male cat. I have waited as long as 7 months with no bad behaviors, but if you let him get to 8+ months without neutering you run a high risk of him starting to spray urine all over (they do it to attract females). So that's why everyone was saying he should be neutered soon
And once cats start to spray, neutering may not stop them - they can't remember why they do it, but they must...  The smell of tom-cat pee is awful as well.  Neutering does remove the smell, but you really don't want it at all in your house.

koalauk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree she looks like an Angora as I had one just like this one years ago

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need to ask then the only possible answer nearly all the time is 'domestic shorthair' or 'domestic longhair' e.g. a moggie - a non-pedigree cat - a cat of no particular breed.

As an aside, 6 weeks is terribly young for the kitten to be away from it's mother and litter mates.  Next time you get a kitten remember it should be at least 8 weeks, and preferably 12-13 weeks and vaccinated.

ashley marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just for fun, Want to guess what breed he can be, it does not matter to me I know he is just a regular DSH but for fun here you go. He was a shelter rescue.  Cant tell from the photo but he is Grey and white

On the left is how I adopted him at 12 weeks, His nose was pretty banged up from what I was told was him trying to escape the shelter cage. On the right is him today at 8 months.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is vaccinated
And she was recused from a shed where the litter and mother were starved
The moter was a pure bred ragdoll
So there you go.....She is a Ragdoll Mix..... Beautiful little girl..... :love:
Do you know if they rescued the rest of the litter? Awww poor little babies and poor momma.... What happened to the rest of them? :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So there you go.....She is a Ragdoll Mix.....
She may even be a purebred Ragdoll, as  dad must also have had point gene in him. so he couldnt not be just any moggie. Quite probable he was at least pointed himself, if not necessary  purebred ragdoll.(bad BYB breeders are often not so touchy with details.)

But as said in parallell tread, without papers or at least, very sure proofs, she will count as moggie. Even you both parents would be ragdolls. 

Very sweet girl.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may even be a purebred Ragdoll

Nope, the kitten is a shorthair so definitely not a Ragdoll. 6 weeks is terribly young to vaccinate kittens! If the mother is/was around, the correct time would be 10 weeks for the first shot and 14 for the booster.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, the kitten is a shorthair so definitely not a Ragdoll. 6 weeks is terribly young to vaccinate kittens! If the mother is/was around, the correct time would be 10 weeks for the first shot and 14 for the booster.
hummmm..... IMHO the kitten is way too young for this assessment to be made.....
Ragdolls are not that long haired, actually..... They are in between medium and long hair.... My Hope has much Longer hair than Bugsy and Lucky, and Hope is a DLH. What they have, is a thicker fur - that they do :nod: but not necessarily longer..... They are "long hair" but not looooong like you would see in a Persian for example...

Here are some purebred young ragdoll kittens: http://www.blossomragdolls.com/Kittens.html

Now, keep in mind, the one posted by Telisha is either pet quality or a mix, but I would not make the affirmation above.... Certainly, IMHO the kitten can be a Ragdoll

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given how many Raggie breeders there are in Qld, and how many of them are BYB's it's possible this kitten is a Ragdoll. But to me, at this point in time she looks like a short hair kitten.

More photos are needed, showing the back and tail.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hummmm..... IMHO the kitten is way too young for this assessment to be made.....
Ragdolls are not that long haired, actually..... They are in between medium and long hair.... My Hope has much Longer hair than Bugsy and Lucky, and Hope is a DLH. What they have, is a thicker fur - that they do
but not necessarily longer..... They are "long hair" but not looooong like you would see in a Persian for example...
Here are some purebred young ragdoll kittens: http://www.blossomragdolls.com/Kittens.html
Now, keep in mind, the one posted by Telisha is either pet quality or a mix, but I would not make the affirmation above.... Certainly, IMHO the kitten can be a Ragdoll
Yeah, I know they don't have long hair like 'Persian long', but genetically they are longhairs. And the kitten in the pic is IMO clearly a shorthair (genetically). I have seen Ragdoll kittens and they are much 'fluffier' in that age than the kitten in the pic.

( I avoid using the term 'medium hair' as there really isn't genetically such thing and it can confuse people, specially if a shorthair cat with a bit longish coat is referred as a medium hair when it usually is used when people talk about an actual longhair with a coat shorter than 'Persian lenght').

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand..... The mother being a purebred Ragdoll does change things though.... The father might be a short hair, we don't know.... But, kittens from a BYB can differ quite a bit from show quality kittens from a reputable breeder.... And that might be the case too imho.
I have seen pet quality Persians from reputable breeders that just happened to be born completely off standard..... You would not guess in a 1000 years it was a pb Persian...
All I am saying is that to say "definitely" imho... Doesn't fit this case...

Status
Not open for further replies.