What breed is my cat?

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

I am trying to work out what breed my cat is, he is a large cat.

I measured our cats, our "kitten" 8 months old, 20 inches from nose to base of tail 11 inches to shoulder. Our middle 2, both 28 inches from nose to tail, with 14 inches to shoulder. Our largest cat, is a large cat, he is at least 35" inches from nose - to base of tail and 16 inches to the shoulder. Let me put it this way, his tail is 6 inches long.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you purchased the cat from a registered breeder itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a domestic long or short hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but why is he so big?

I live in the UK, and only big cats are BIG cats.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
have you got any pictures of the cat, my Sooty is quite a large cat and hes a DSH and im in the UK to

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a 22 lb orange tabby domestic as my first cat. His Mom was a 6 lb calico we found in a parking lot. With domestic cats, there can be huge variation in size and in colour just naturally.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, Mitten stood over a foot tall at the shoulders and was 3 feet long from nose to tail. He weighed 14-15 lbs . Not fat, but tall and long.

If your cats are the one's pictured, they are domestic shorthair cats. Not unusual at all to have them vary in size.

Purebreds follow a general guideline in size but random bred cats can be small (6 lbs) to large 15+ and there is nothing "special" or unusual about their size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a photo of buttons = our smallest cat with bubbles.

I can tell you he is now 27 inches from nose to base of tail, with his tail at 11 inches and hight to shoulder is now 12 inches.

Bubbles is notably Larger.

Bubbles is impossible to measure correctly, as he plays with the tape measure.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see two Domestic Shorthair cats (Moggies) one is a brown mackerel tabby, the other a red classic tabby with white mitts.

phillip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I see two Domestic Shorthair cats (Moggies) one is a brown mackerel tabby, the other a red classic tabby with white mitts.
I agree. The Tabby is quite a common breed. Our female is part Tabby and Mane Koon......

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phillip

I agree. The Tabby is quite a common breed. Our female is part Tabby and Mane Koon......
Tabby is not a breed. It's a coat pattern (for example mackerel, spotted & classic tabby). I agree with Arlyn.
And Maine Coon is spelled Maine Coon.

phillip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Tabby is not a breed. It's a coat pattern (for example mackerel, spotted & classic tabby). I agree with Arlyn.
And Maine Coon is spelled Maine Coon.
Well I am glad I came here I learned something I did not know that thanks.