What Breed Is My Cat, Ragdoll Or Something Else?

is this a ragdoll or something else?

• ragdoll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • himalayan

• siamese

• something else?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

acarra16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my baby smokey has been with me since he was 6 weeks old, he is around 4 years now. I have always believed he was a ragdoll based on his personality: puppy-like behavior (follows me around and always wants to be near me; very playful and frisky;always wants to fight playfully) and he eats almost anything he can gets his hands on though he is most interested in chicken (as most cats are i think) and he goes limp when he's picked up; and he likes to watch running water (which i have read is a characteristic of ragdolls). However, i have heard received conflicting responses about his breed from friends so i wanted to see what you guys think!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He is adorable! I would describe him as a seal point Domestic Longhair. He does have some resemblance to a Ragdoll, but we can’t prove any ancestry, which is why he would be called a Domestic Longhair.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your handsome Smokey as a seal point domestic longhair. I'm not seeing strong evidence of Ragdoll ancestry. Simply being a pointed longhair with moderate type gives him a slight resemblance to the Ragdoll breed; however, most cats don't actually have any specific breed ancestry, and the genes for longhair and colorpoint ("Siamese" coloring) are widespread in the domestic cat population.

The Himalayan breed is a pointed Persian; they have much broader and shorter faces, and more cobby body type than your cat. The Siamese is a shorthaired cat with a long and slender body and head. Neither of these breeds fit your cat at all.

Behavioral traits aren't a good indication of specific breed ancestry; even purebred cats don't always have the behavioral traits we associate with the breed. Each cat is an individual with its own wonderful personality :)

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Adorable! Nothing to add to the above descriptions, except that I'm pretty sure that most cats are fascinated by running water. :crazy:

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This cat looks like a Balinese to me. The Balinese is just a long-haired Siamese cat. I believe pointed coloring can show up in all sorts of domestic cats as long as they have some kind of Siamese ancestor. I love pointed cats! There is a nice thread in the cat pictures section. Yours is a very nice cat, and clever too :)