What breed is he?

mwilder91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I recently adopted a 3 month old male kitten. In his papers, they listed domestic medium hair, I suspect he may be at least part Maine Coon. I'm not as experienced with determining breeds so I could be way off. He's very fluffy and has very big eyes. What are your thoughts?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is an absolutely GORGEOUS kitten!  As for "breed," unless we actually have proof of pedigree lineage, we usually just use words that we know to be true, like Domestic Medium Hair Tabby.  Yes, he certainly has many of the good looks that Maine Coons have, and what I do with kittens we get here that look like that is call them Georgia Coon Cats, because they were born in Georgia and they look like Coon Cats, rather like yours does.  (The original Maine Coon Cats were called that because they had very fluffy ringed tails, like Raccoons.) You haven't listed your location in your profile yet so I'm not sure what state you are in, but you could always call him a [your state's name] coon cat -- unless of course you live in Maine.  The original Maine Coon Cats were a natural occurrence and so lovely that people chose to breed them and keep records in registries, so it is now an established breed.  The chances that your kitten has a pedigreed Maine Coon cat in his background are slim, but he certainly does have the looks!  If you were to show him as a Household Pet (yes, household pets can be entered in some cat shows), they only have Longhair and Shorthair categories, so he would be a Domestic Longhair Tabby. 

Last edited: