What breed does my cat look like?

madii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my baby bella, i adopted her from the RSPCA a few weeks ago. She is 4 months old on the 22nd of this month and i would love to know what breed/breeds she might be or look similar to. As you can see from the photos she is white with blue patches on her face, tail and a spot on her lower back. She is very long, skinny and lanky. On her paperwork her breed is classified as a domestic short hair, she arrived by herself at 4 weeks of age with no mother or siblings to compare her to.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paperwork is correct, she is a domestic shorthair like the majority of cats - and most of the rest are domestic longhairs!

She looks black & white on my screen rather than blue & white, and is gorgeous.

PS kittens often go through a skinny slinky stage, just like children do.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

madii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you,

She looks grey in photos and blue up close.

I do student placement at the RSPCA and unfortuntaly all the kitten/cats are either classified as DSH or DLH

we rarely have any that can be classified as a specific breed or breeds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The classification is as it is, but you can perhaps compare her with the pattern in Turkish Van cats, the so called Van pattern.  (That breed is quite rare, but the pattern as such isnt that unusual)

Good luck!

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
99% of cats in the world can probably be classified as dsh or dlh. Without the pedigree papers no cat can be officially a 'purebred', and even unofficially it is rare to have a cat that one can even be sure has any actual 'breed' genes in it, unlike dogs who are all descended from breeds. The majority of cat breeds were bred using the characteristics of naturally evolving cats to select traits of shape, coat, colour and behaviour to arrive at a desired result, and this only started around 150-200 years ago. So there are many DLH and DSH cats in the general population with the characteristics of purebred cats. Usually the most one can say is that any certain cat 'might' share an ancestor with a Persian, Siamese, Russian Blue or whatever. This does not make them any less beautiful or desirable, in most people's opinion.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you,

She looks grey in photos and blue up close.

I do student placement at the RSPCA and unfortuntaly all the kitten/cats are either classified as DSH or DLH

we rarely have any that can be classified as a specific breed or breeds.
Not sure why you think it's unfortunate since that's what they are!  Well over 90% of cats are moggies, and given a lot of pedigrees these days are kept indoors or with enclosed gardens I suspect they less often end up at a shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mean its unfortunate that you cant tell what breeds they are! I don't care that she is a DSH i love her the way she is!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so unfortunate, as most cats don't have a breed :lol3:. So of course there's no way to tell what breed they are, unless you want to call "domestic short/longhair" a breed (altough it isn't, of course, as there's no uniformity) . They aren't like dogs, who almost all have some identifiable breed in them. They're simply. . .cats, in all their catly glory :D.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I don't know... maybe it's the lighting in the photos. Cute cat, BTW, OrientalSlave!

Do the dark patches look more like a coal-black, or more like an ashy gray? How old is she--might she still have her kitten coat?