what breed does he look like to u?

angelxsong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i adopted Zeus last month, he's still quite skittish, usually hiding in the morning and only comes out to eat at night. long fur, yellow/goldish eyes. ex-owner said could be norwegian forest, but i know he's most probably not purebred. what breed does he look like to you?

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting him. He looks like a beautiful domestic shorthair to me but with that bushy tail some might call him a longhair.

His behavior seems quite normal. It can take an adult cat a while, weeks or even months, before they feel safe enough to come out. You just need to have patience and let him make the first moves.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a pretty boy!

I would describe Zeus as a silver mackerel tabby and white domestic longhair. I can see why the previous owner suggested Norwegian Forest Cat, and I would agree that would be the closest lookalike breed for him, since he has a triangular face, wide set ears and a straight profile. However, if you are located in the US, it's statistically unlikely that he would have NFC ancestry. Many cats look similar to the NFC, since it's a moderate type breed, but the NFC is extremely rare here. Most cats aren't any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs. That doesn't make them any less special, however -- domestic longhairs are great cats!

I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 that it can take a while for adult cats to settle in. Give him time. I know from experience that it can be very rewarding and special when a shy cat eventually learns to trust you and builds a loving relationship with you. :redheartpump: