What breed do you recommend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

With pedigrees, temperament and cattitude is pretty much easy to figure out...with domestics, well, what can I say??? When I rehome a kitten, I always do two things:

1. Let the kitten choose the owner
2. Interview drastically the prospective owner before I let the kitten go.

Really, the right cat will choose you. Even if you think that the one that chose you is wrong, I can guarantee you will fall in love with it!
I really hope I can find people like you at shelters
I would rather someone interview me extensively and in the end tell me that none of their cats match what I want, rather than just try to stick any cat on me

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With DSH's what you get is what you get no two are alike widely to them not being one particular breed but that isn't nessacarily a bad thing. I think it would be a good idea to write out a list of what you want in a cat and then make a seperate two part list of what you think would be what you and the cat both need as far as in order for you both to get what you deserve out of your life together. And I would do as some have suggested and visit some cat shows and shelters and get a good working idea. But even with pedigrees no two cats are alike they have certain things to expect to meet their standards but sometimes they have their own ideas of what they want to do. My mom used to have a persian and that cat had more attitude then any tortie I have ever seen and she was a sweet cat when it met her goals. She used to come upto me and bite me when I didn't give her enough attention and that is not really typical of them. And she used to bully mom's siamese cats.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you've decided to look around at your local shelter and give a shelter cat a chance at a new forever home! That is awesome!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, it really warms my heart to see someone taking a proper interest in doing research and trying to find what they want before just going out and randomly buying a pet. That is the way half the animals in shelters get there in the first place
I think it's wonderful that you know what you want and you are prepared to spend time and do research to get it.

But now, to be the devil's advocate, you are never guaranteed personality traits in a cat! It's great that you are happy to adopt, because there are SO many needy animals out there who need loving homes.

Most shelters who have had a kitty for a while (even if it is a kitten) will be pretty well informed about the personality of the cats they have up for adoption. What you need to remember, though, is that cats grow and change, just like people, and their behaviour whilst in a shelter environment may not be the same as it would be in a secure and safe home environment. Basically, when you go to a shelter, you will look into a particular cat's eyes, and that cat will own you. It doesn't always happen the first time you go, but there is usually the special `one' who captures your heart. At least, that's what happened to me!

I feel like I have to ask though - are you prepared to be disappointed in some of your expectations? If you get a cat, for example, that turns out to not like cuddling that much. Will you be prepared to love it anyway? To keep it in your home regardless? These may sound like harsh questions and I don't mean to sound that way, but you may well face such questions when looking to adopt anyway. Pets are for life, and they don't always turn out how we hope they will, but we love them just the same. Cats in particular tend to come to you - if you pick them up and cuddle them it often intimidates them and they struggle and run away. They're not like dogs in that regard.

You seem like someone who is interested in learning and understanding your cat, so this is all stuff you will learn in time. I just was curious as to what your feelings will be if you do adopt a cat and it doesn't turn out to meet your prior expectations. From what I've read so far, it probably won't matter to you, but you need to take the possibility into consideration.

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

You know, it really warms my heart to see someone taking a proper interest in doing research and trying to find what they want before just going out and randomly buying a pet. That is the way half the animals in shelters get there in the first place
I think it's wonderful that you know what you want and you are prepared to spend time and do research to get it.

But now, to be the devil's advocate, you are never guaranteed personality traits in a cat! It's great that you are happy to adopt, because there are SO many needy animals out there who need loving homes.

Most shelters who have had a kitty for a while (even if it is a kitten) will be pretty well informed about the personality of the cats they have up for adoption. What you need to remember, though, is that cats grow and change, just like people, and their behaviour whilst in a shelter environment may not be the same as it would be in a secure and safe home environment. Basically, when you go to a shelter, you will look into a particular cat's eyes, and that cat will own you. It doesn't always happen the first time you go, but there is usually the special `one' who captures your heart. At least, that's what happened to me!

I feel like I have to ask though - are you prepared to be disappointed in some of your expectations? If you get a cat, for example, that turns out to not like cuddling that much. Will you be prepared to love it anyway? To keep it in your home regardless? These may sound like harsh questions and I don't mean to sound that way, but you may well face such questions when looking to adopt anyway. Pets are for life, and they don't always turn out how we hope they will, but we love them just the same. Cats in particular tend to come to you - if you pick them up and cuddle them it often intimidates them and they struggle and run away. They're not like dogs in that regard.

You seem like someone who is interested in learning and understanding your cat, so this is all stuff you will learn in time. I just was curious as to what your feelings will be if you do adopt a cat and it doesn't turn out to meet your prior expectations. From what I've read so far, it probably won't matter to you, but you need to take the possibility into consideration.
of course I would never give up my cat, even if it doesn't meet my expectations. Just like kids, before they're born, parents are hoping they become doctors, scientists, etc, but even anything else and they still love their offspring, at least my parents!
but thank you for your kind words

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jericho,

Welcome to the cat site!!!

I would check out your shelter and definitely try to see/visit some breeders/shows in your area before you make a decision.

I personally have two purebred cats BUT my association only lets me have 2 cats TOPS, SOOOOOOOO I wanted to make the most of my kittens! I have to say Stoli has be everything and MORE than I have expected in a Russian Blue. He is playful, very cuddly and lovey.

But if I could get more, I'd go to my shelter and see which kitty spoke to me. If this is an only kitty, you may want to adopt a slightly older kitty as their traits will probably be more pronounced and predictable. But love and affection can go a long way. . . . . . ..

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to say please post pictures of your new kitty when you get him or her

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cat can make you perfectly happy. Just make sure you and kitty will get along. No one breed is "perfect". It's all going to bepend on the personality of the cat you are looking at. Good Luck!!!

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to thank everyone on this thread, I did go to a shelter, and saw all the beautiful cats, but I just didn't wanna take home a kitty that I wasn't sure of how he'd behave in the future, this is my first cat, and I would prefer something predictable, so I have decided on getting a Bengal cat

It looks gorgeous, but more importantly, I like its personality, its energy and everything I have researched on the breed, although they are not lap cats like I would like, they are affectionate, and in the rare moments when there is lap time, I'm sure it would be worth so much, compared to a cat that has lap time whenever I want.

to everyone who has helped me on this thread, I have a new thread, and your help is welcome and appreciated

New Thread