what breed do they resemble?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rayna resembles a little a Russian Blue. With these big ears and greenish eyes.  The head acceptable too for a RB.

May perhaps even be a pet quality RB - IF the background is enough convincing.

She seems to lack the silvery shine all good RB shall have, but the overall look as we can see on this one part pic does have a somewhat  RB-look alike on it.

Gray in called for blue in the cat fanciers language, so although some of the grays may have a bluish impression, nobody is telling they are blue for real.   :)

Akachan seems to be a more "ordinary"  domestic shorthair.  Tabby and white,

if the coat is gray, he too would be called for blue (and white) tabby.

A couple more of good pics would be welcome to get a better  look.

Both are very nice looking!

What is their background as far as you know?

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gypsyrose85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Akachan is your typical run of the mill kitten. (She is 8 months). Mom got pregnant from a stray. Rayna...I dont know. Her fur is tiped in silver. She was thrown away in a demolition dumpster. When the trash people poured the dumpster out at the transfer station they started to compact it. Out she popped. They spent the day tryingbto catch her. The next day she snuck in tje office . They caught her and put her in a kennel asking all the trashmen if they wanted her. No one did because she had a huge gaping wound on her leg. Hubby brought her home. She needed 7 staples in her leg, a few rounds of deworming. She put on a pound and a half in 2 weeks. She was only a pound when we got her (vet thinks she was 5 weeks). This was in sept. She is now almost 5 pounds. She had it rough before we got her. She does not like people reaching for her. She will run unless she initiates the petting. She sleeps all night on my husband and I. If a stranger is around she hides.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a story!

If she is silver tipped on the top of the hairs, it increases the possibility she may be a pet quality russian for real.  But why somebody would throw away  a RB  I cant even guess.  Or perhaps, I dont want to guess nor know.

RB look alikes arent that unusual.  After all, the story they are descending from Archangelsk (oh, I even wrote one version of this myself with my own hand) is only partly thrue.  It is no big secret the breed was reconstructed shortly after WWII by heavy using local blue moggies, and also some blue pointed siameses..   But being not just somewhat look alike, but also, greenish eyes, silvery tipped fur and even big ears is not the most common no..

Her being shy to strangers may even be a not so unusual RB trait!..  Some russian are renown for being more or less shy.

My oldest resident behaves so . His behavior does teach me much how fostered and adopted ex semiferales do behave.   :)

And yet he was home raised by a reputable breeder.   And managed to participate in Shows long enough to earn his Champion title although he also doesnt likes to be carried..

Therefore not said all RB are shy.  All his kittens and grandkittens were described as sociale, friendly RB.

Tx for helping her!

Good luck!

gypsyrose85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No thanks needed. She is a blessing to have in our lives. It will be interesting to see how she is as an adult. We love her very much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a blessing to have in our lives....... . We love her very much.
Yes, I do myself believe sometimes you got rewarded for your good deeds already in this live here.

As here.   A real win - win for all involved.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, just came across your thread for Akachan and Rayna.  They are both very sweet.  Rayna does have a very beautiful, gentle look about her like a Russian Blue and her fur looks quite dense and even on her chest and front legs in the top picture, if it is like that over most of her body and with a silver sheen she will be very beautiful indeed.  The shape of her face is very pretty and she has lovely ears too, more European / UK than US standard in appearance I think.  I think she will be a stunning little cat as she grows up.

Thank you for taking her in and giving her a chance in a safe and loving home after such a harsh and frightening start in life.  It is nice to see her leg looks as if it has healed well, I hope she doesn't have any remaining pain from her injury.  She is still young, I hope she calms and starts to settle with you a little more.  I have a Russian Blue cat like StefanZ but Mouse is anything but shy. Other things they are known for are looking regal, and totally running your house - they seem to be very good at letting you know what they want and making sure you get it for them in the most endearing ways. There is something about Rayna's expression that says to me she may have these tenancies. 

Enjoy both your kitties, they are very cute.  Oh, and I love their names too.

gypsyrose85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, just came across your thread for Akachan and Rayna.  They are both very sweet.  Rayna does have a very beautiful, gentle look about her like a Russian Blue and her fur looks quite dense and even on her chest and front legs in the top picture, if it is like that over most of her body and with a silver sheen she will be very beautiful indeed.  The shape of her face is very pretty and she has lovely ears too, more European / UK than US standard in appearance I think.  I think she will be a stunning little cat as she grows up.

Thank you for taking her in and giving her a chance in a safe and loving home after such a harsh and frightening start in life.  It is nice to see her leg looks as if it has healed well, I hope she doesn't have any remaining pain from her injury.  She is still young, I hope she calms and starts to settle with you a little more.  I have a Russian Blue cat like StefanZ but Mouse is anything but shy. Other things they are known for are looking regal, and totally running your house - they seem to be very good at letting you know what they want and making sure you get it for them in the most endearing ways. There is something about Rayna's expression that says to me she may have these tenancies. :D   

Enjoy both your kitties, they are very cute.  Oh, and I love their names too.:wave2:  
oh boy she is the top kitty in this home. At night she follows me everywhere. She sleeps on me often (which is funny because I rock in my sleep. ) she is a very good and spunky kitty. She is mostly shy with strangers and the kids. Touching does need to be on her twrms but she sleeps with us all night. Luckily her wound only peeled the skin on her leg. It was a nasty gash but no muscles were damaged. There also is no noticeable scar . As I type this my cats are chasing each other, and bouncing all over the furniture. Kiddos are in bed so they go nuts lol.