What breed are these cats - Russian blue mix?

ernieboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but their coat certainly looks like a russian blue's or a British shorthair's. However, you're totally right- both the russian blue and british shorthairs are known for their stockiness and broad faces, and your little buddies are all long and skinny! I'm having the same problem trying to figure out what sort of cat my little boy is- he has the coat for a certain breed, but his body says otherwise. In any sense, they're absolutely gorgeous, and I hope you give them both lots of kisses. 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My knowledge of Russian Blues is minimal so to reference the breed standard.... vivid green eyes are a huge point in Russian Blues. The ears should be more pointed than rounded. They are young but the top one looks a little too stocky for the breed standard and the bottom photos looks like the limbs are shorter than expected for the breed but that could be age and angle of the photos. The chins look a little too far set back in relation to the rest of the face.... sorry, just not seeing the minor specifics I would expect with the breed standard. Essentially Russian Blues have a sharper, long and leaner look than I am seeing with yours, the coloring of the coat is darker/muted and the eyes are the wrong color. 

They are lovely blue kittens though and I am sure they are a great joy. I would say they are unlikely related to a Russian Blue. In some areas blue cats are fairly common to find as strays/ferals and the blue coloring itself is not limited to the Russian Blue cat. If you want to have fun you can call them "Maltese" which refers to any cat with the grey coloration and doesn't refer to a specific breed. 

A lot like with pointed cats all being labeled "Siamese" in rescues, shelters and by private sellers/backyard breeders there is a good chunk of people who label all blue cats as "Russian Blue". In each case there are several specific traits that define the breeds outside of coloration and they are not recognized as true purebred without papers. Since people like to label things and it is easier for the general public to recognize what a is meant visually by "Siamese" or "Russian Blue" as compared to calling a cat pointed or blue it has become a common practice and can cause confusion. 

The problem comes in when unscrupulous people try to pass off a blue moggy as a true Russian Blue and use that modifier to extract a higher price from an unassuming person or for someone who is looking for a cat that may be less reactive to someone with allergies. Hopefully that is not the position you are coming from and it is just curiosity.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as you dont think these are Russian blue for real, we can certainly suppose they may perhaps be a mix.   Being a mix, they dont need per definition to follow anywhere near the standard, right?   :)    Although the technical label is of course domestic shorthair,  solid blue in coloration.   You may call them a nice Maltese cats if you so want.

I just want to pinpoint other mix possibilities - a solid colored Orientale.   the Korat.   Young  Chartreux MAY see this way too.

But the british blue is too stocky, so nay, not british blue.  Unless verry mix.   :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm no expert, but their coat certainly looks like a russian blue's or a British shorthair's. However, you're totally right- both the russian blue and british shorthairs are known for their stockiness and broad faces, and your little buddies are all long and skinny! I'm having the same problem trying to figure out what sort of cat my little boy is- he has the coat for a certain breed, but his body says otherwise. In any sense, they're absolutely gorgeous, and I hope you give them both lots of kisses. 
Yes thank you. They are lovely kittens yes. Thank you.

My knowledge of Russian Blues is minimal so to reference the breed standard.... vivid green eyes are a huge point in Russian Blues. The ears should be more pointed than rounded. They are young but the top one looks a little too stocky for the breed standard and the bottom photos looks like the limbs are shorter than expected for the breed but that could be age and angle of the photos. The chins look a little too far set back in relation to the rest of the face.... sorry, just not seeing the minor specifics I would expect with the breed standard. Essentially Russian Blues have a sharper, long and leaner look than I am seeing with yours, the coloring of the coat is darker/muted and the eyes are the wrong color. 

They are lovely blue kittens though and I am sure they are a great joy. I would say they are unlikely related to a Russian Blue. In some areas blue cats are fairly common to find as strays/ferals and the blue coloring itself is not limited to the Russian Blue cat. If you want to have fun you can call them "Maltese" which refers to any cat with the grey coloration and doesn't refer to a specific breed. 

A lot like with pointed cats all being labeled "Siamese" in rescues, shelters and by private sellers/backyard breeders there is a good chunk of people who label all blue cats as "Russian Blue". In each case there are several specific traits that define the breeds outside of coloration and they are not recognized as true purebred without papers. Since people like to label things and it is easier for the general public to recognize what a is meant visually by "Siamese" or "Russian Blue" as compared to calling a cat pointed or blue it has become a common practice and can cause confusion. 

The problem comes in when unscrupulous people try to pass off a blue moggy as a true Russian Blue and use that modifier to extract a higher price from an unassuming person or for someone who is looking for a cat that may be less reactive to someone with allergies. Hopefully that is not the position you are coming from and it is just curiosity.  
They are lovely kittens yes. Maltese? Ok I see. I can go with that.

Thank you so much.

As long as you dont think these are Russian blue for real, we can certainly suppose they may perhaps be a mix.   Being a mix, they dont need per definition to follow anywhere near the standard, right?   :)    Although the technical label is of course domestic shorthair,  solid blue in coloration.   You may call them a nice Maltese cats if you so want.

I just want to pinpoint other mix possibilities - a solid colored Orientale.   the Korat.   Young  Chartreux MAY see this way too.

But the british blue is too stocky, so nay, not british blue.  Unless verry mix.   :)
No I know they aren't full Russian Blue because they don't have blue eyes and they aren't as fat or thick as pure Russian Blue cats are. But to me they have all the other features a Russian Blue cat has, that why I think they are mixed.

Yeah someone else also called them Maltese and I'll go with that.

I"ll look up those other breeds as well. Two of those I have never heard of.

Thank you very much.

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous dark grey colouring. Check paw pad colour but they don't appear to have the characteristics of russians. Should have vivid green eyes and a flat angular head. Also the coats should be silver tipped. I know lots of people think greys are shimmery but the tipping is quite noticable. Lovely looking though :)

Attachments

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW thats my Niki on the left - I played with the lighting on the photo to really bring out the tipping, in natural sunshine you really notice it. Mostly I love her because of her sweet nature - she is on the chair next to me trying to help write this haha