What brands of wet food come in chunks w/ gravy?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch doesn't seem to like any of the canned food much. She goes seem to get a little more excited about the chunks in gravy, but with those cans all she does is lick the gravy off & nibble a few bites. Hey, at least it's something. I can deal with that if it is all she wants to eat. What brands of wet food come in chunks in gravy? The only ones I have come across are Nutro pouches(which we already feed) & Avo Derm chicken in cans. The Avo Derm was accepted the same way the Nutro was, so I took that as a good sign. Twitch also like the Solid Gold stuff that is tuna chunks in canned food(pate style). I don't like to give it to her too often as sometimes tuna doesn't go over the best with her, I prefer to let her have it in moderation.

I have tried so many other foods & had little luck with them. Lily likes them all, but that is just the growing kitten in her. I have tried Innova EVO, Merrick, Nutro cans, Nutro pouches, Avo Derm chicken cuts, Newman's Own, Wellness, Eagle Pack, & Euaknuba. I think that's all.
Any other suggestions to try? I am getting to where I am only looking at the ones that come chunks in gravy, but I am open to other suggestions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meow mix the rock lobster has a gravey it is a shredded with gravey

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a Whole Foods Market near you? They have a store brand cat food- all natural, all organic- chunks of meat in gravy that actually looks appealing-- the crab and shrimp one is a big hit around here and it's only like 39 cents a can.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of the Merrick flavors are sort of chunky, though not quite like the Avoderm/Nutro flavors.

Nutro in the 3 ounce cans is also chunky, with the exception of the veal pate flavor.

Whole Paws looks very similar to AvoDerm to me, so it would be a good bet and perhaps a bit less expensive.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Iams makes a brand that comes in a pouch that is similar to what you described...my cat doesn't care for it though.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eukenuba (sp) make pouches with chunks & gravy. I haven't tried them, just saw the add in a magazine.
All the others I know have been mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch won't eat the Imas, & Whiskas, Friskies, etc get her constipated. It's not fun for her or me.
I tried the Eukanuba & still do feed her some, but she gets tired of it so fast. There are only two flavors she will eat.

I didn't know that Nutro had 3 oz. cans. I guess I had better look into those. OllyExtra, I don't have a whole food market near me. I wish I did, though. I am doing most of my ordering online as the nearest "real" pet store is an hour away. The tiny little one that is near enough to me that I visit often will order anything I like. He's gotten in EVO & Nutro. He is checking on prices of the EVO & California Natural cans for me.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What came to mind was Nutro pouches or minis (cans), Solid Gold tuna, and Fancy Feast. I find the first two far superior to the last one, but you want to get your cat eating canned, so you can't really quibble about quality. Have you tried "Spot's Stew"? Also, you can buy "gravy" to add to cat food in some pet stores. Another trick is adding homemade chicken or beef broth to the food of your choice, or mixing it with meat baby food (no garlic, onions or salt). The simplest trick is adding a few teaspoons of hot water, and mixing well.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast also has many flavors that they call minced its much smaller pieces then the chunks and gravy. Mine used to also lap the gravy and leave most of the chunks. I tried the minced and they like that much better it also has gravy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

What came to mind was Nutro pouches or minis (cans), Solid Gold tuna, and Fancy Feast. I find the first two far superior to the last one, but you want to get your cat eating canned, so you can't really quibble about quality. Have you tried "Spot's Stew"? Also, you can buy "gravy" to add to cat food in some pet stores. Another trick is adding homemade chicken or beef broth to the food of your choice, or mixing it with meat baby food (no garlic, onions or salt). The simplest trick is adding a few teaspoons of hot water, and mixing well.
i would not recommend the 'gravy' you can buy - none of mine liked it. & Cable pretty much will eat any wet food.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think any one mentioned science diet, they have a few varieties that come w/ gravy. My cats will pretty much only eat gravy food. There are of course cheaper brands but if friskies, iams and whiskas make your cat sick than they will probably won't do well with anything cheaper.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I think I have heard of spot's stew, but I am going to have to look for that. I bought the VitaGravy & Twitch refused to eat anything with that on it. She won't eat baby food. I am thinking I will try the hot water & mixing it in with some Merrick. The first time I tried it I don't think I used hot water. How can Imade homemade chicken or beef broth that is good for a cat?

I didn't know SD had anything that comes on chunks. I will be in the good pet store tomorrow, so I will see what I can find, but they don't carry much variety.

While I am asking questions, does anyone know if Fancy Feast has more "sugar" to it? Twitch's gums are really sensitive & that's why she likes the chunks. The pate type foods stick to her gums. When she eats the FF chunks, she starts backing up & spits them out. I have noticed she only does this with FF & did before she had her teeth removed.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

How can I make homemade chicken or beef broth that is good for a cat?
For the beef broth, I just use stewing beef, cut into small pieces, and water (no spices). Use at least enough water to completely cover the meat, and let it simmer on low heat for 90 minutes. I leave some of the meat in the broth, and use the rest as (a) cat meal(s) (with or without canned food). For chicken, I boil a "soup" chicken in water, remove the chicken, and strain the broth to make sure there aren't any bones. Then I strip off the skin (which I throw away), pick the chicken off the bones, and put small bits of meat back in the broth (Jamie doesn't like chicken, so I put some back in, and use the rest mixed with another flavor of cat food). The broth can be frozen in ice cube trays, and added to water bowls to encourage a cat to drink more water, or thawed and warmed in the microwave to pour over canned food. You can add small bits of carrot to the mixture if your cat likes it.

Another idea, which I haven't tried, but one of the volunteers at the shelter does for her very finicky cat: When she cooks a roast, she makes gravy with the meat juice, water, and tapioca as a thickener. Nothing else. (Her family then gets canned gravy). She freezes it in portions, and puts it on chunky canned food.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem with Sophie and Luna. They used to eat any canned food, but have suddenly started turning their noses up at any that aren't chunks in gravy. I found several in the Nutro brand. Authority at Petsmart also makes a chicken chunks in gravy that seems to be their favorite. That's this week, of course. By next week, we could be shopping again!

nutmeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pro Plan in cans makes a few different chunky and gravy full selections, and is concerned a higher end cat food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought 48 pouches(in the boxes) of Meow Mix for the fosters. I gave some to Twitch & she ate it. Lily wouldn't. Why can't they both like the same foods?
I called the people at spot's stew to find out if there was a store near me(of course, there isn't) & they told me there was a recipe to make it at home on their website. I haven't looked for it yet, but I am thinking I might order one of their smapler packs from their website. I bought some Max that sunded like ti was chunks in gravy yesterday. The store clerc in Pet Expo & I were shaking every can of cat food. For some reason, people looked at us funny.
I couldn't find any of the chunk SD cans, or any little Nutro cans that were chunks. The Pro Plan was turned down by Twitch, Lily, & Ophelia. If Ophelia turns it down, it must be really bad. She will eat anything she can get her paws on.

I got really creative & mixed 1 TBSP of tuna juice in with a 3 oz can of Merrick & then 1 TSP of tuna. Twitch gobbled it down. This morning, I put 1/4 as much tuna juice & tuna in her canned food & she gobbled it down. I hope that I can get her to eat a can of food w/o any tuna or tuna juice on it tonight.

I have to order more nail caps, so I might as well order then from Petsmart & then get some Authority canned food.

My dad keeps looking at me funny when I am mixing up all of these "concoctions" for the cats. Ahhh...the things I do for my kitties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
while your ordering.. the gravy cans in Nutro are called gormet classics