What brand of cat food do you feed your cat?

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So many choices! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never heard of some of them! Now I am even more confused!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
14 eat science diet adult, 6 eat royal canin babycat, 1 eats science diet rx diet c/d and 1 eats only science diet wet food(he pukes dry). RJ

flamingo13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to say: my last cat made it 22 1/2 yrs. - and she was fed: Dry: Whiskas mostly, sometimes others - and canned: Friskies, Fancy Feast, 9 Lives.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

Thanks for the link! I will check it out.

The only problem I've had with ordering on line is the shipping costs. If they charge by the pound it can cost more than the food itself.

One time I noticed an on line pet place that was offering free shipping. I thought it would be a good idea to order some cat litter (this too is a pain to get) then I read the fine print. The offer did not apply to cat litter or food.

If I knew that he liked a certain food and that it was a good choice for him I wouldn’t mind paying the shipping cost. This is my problem. With so many choices and so many different views I have no idea what is the best.

Actually, that's the great thing about it. With all the choices you can look at all the different types of food and research the ingredients, nutrient analysis, and decide what you think is best before making a decision, a guarantee you won't be delivered Iams weight control again. I also don't order on line because of the shipping fees. I have Petco and a grocery store walking distance from my home. But if I were in your situation in which I had to have stuff delivered what I would do is order the dry food on line and have the wet food delivered or bought from a grocery store or pet food outlet. Because canned food with all that heavy water weight is going to cost you the most in shipping and handling fees. Dry food is economical so you can buy a good enough size bag to last you a while if you're feeding your cat mostly dry food anyway and it looks like you are because you didn't mention wet food in your post. Also when switching, switch slowly over a 7 day period so your cat can get used to the new food. You could even to stretch out your budget mix the new food with the Iams weight control until the Iams weight control food is gone.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just switched [again... yeesh] from Iams. JoJo was hacking up hairballs right and left and neither of their coats are in the best condition... So I did my research online and decided on Natural Balance... the stuff endorsed by Van Patten. They took to the dry right away... and the wet is taking a bit, but they are eating it, as opposed to looking, sniffing, then digging in when I'm not looking [which is what they did with nearly every other canned food I've given them].

To CheshireCat: Check with your local Petco and Petsmart. I was in the first place yesterday and that particular store offered free delivery of items purchased. If your nearby stores offer that, you could call orders in, maybe. Or go in, buy the stuff you need and have them deliver it, instead of you hauling it home. I didn't look at the fine print, but I would assume they'd do it for bags of food and litter. Especially if they know it's difficult for you to get it home yourself. Smaller stores, i.e. non-chains, might also offer this service. You'd have to ask those stores individually. Explain that you can't haul it home yourself.

Of course, if there's a place within walking distance [and it's not too difficult to walk it] then get one of those ever-lovely 'granny' carts [that's what I call them], you know, those shopping carts. And haul it home in that. I messed up my ankle pretty badly last summer, and walked... very slowly... down to my normal shopping haunts, and put my weight on the cart. Well, some of it. I got my cat food and litter that way. I was on my crutches for over a month, so I needed to find a way to become more self-sufficient.

Okay... I'm talking too much again...

Amanda

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you to those who have offered suggestions on ordering food.

Chester only eats dry food. I have never offered him canned food because he does not like people food. He is always interested in what I am eating but will turn his nose up at it when I offer it to him. One time I dropped some chicken salad on the floor; he licked the mayo off it but left the meat. He likes the water from the tuna can but will not touch the tuna.

At the moment I am mixing Cat Chow indoor with the Iams weight control. At this rate it may take me months to get rid of it all.

Actually when you get right down to it doesn’t matter what it costs if he doesn’t want to eat it. At the same time I am not opposed to spending more money on his food I just want to be sure that it is good for him.

Some of the brands that I did look at had tons of ingredients (most of them did not sound appealing at all) and there was one that only had five or six. This is what makes it so confusing! How do I know what is the best mix?

p.s. I have a “granny cart” I use it to get the cat litter from the car up to my apartment

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

p.s. I have a “granny cart†I use it to get the cat litter from the car up to my apartment
Gotta love those granny carts. i have two... my old small blue one, which i use for laundry now, and my big black monstrosity. That thing is heavy-duty, holding up to 250 pounds. When you get 25 pound bags/boxes of litter and what feels like 10 pounds of canned cat food [a 1 month supply for me here], those carts come in handy.

Back to subject. True, feed what he'll eat. JJ and Jack will eat darn near any dry food. Some canned. Iams canned they hate. most of the canned stuff they hate. Which was why I stuck with Pro Plan cans for so long.

Feed what works. Because mine aren't as picky as some cats, I also try to appease the nutritional aspect, feeding them higher end foods.

Amanda

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tailer and Forest get ProPlan canned now. I had to switch them from Nutro canned because Forest was starting to get urine crystals and all three had kind of high urine pH. I wanted to get them on something with higher protein. Unfortunately, neither of them will eat ground cat food...it has to be "chunky". I wish it didn't have by-products, but at least it's nutritionally what they need. Forest gets the urinary health formula, and Tailer gets the indoor chicken and rice. (Harvey refused to switch foods, so he still gets Nutro.)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Dry foods (50%): Felidae, Natural Balance, Nutro, Serengeti, Solid Gold, Eagle Pack Holistic, almo nature (European)
Canned foods (50%): almo nature, Schesir, Cosma, Green Fish, Miamor Fine Fillets (all European), Solid Gold
I used to feed California Natural (dry) and Innova (dry and canned), but they're no longer sold in the EU.

hugparty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nutro Natural Indoor and Cat Chow, because Chairman Meow will ONLY eat junk cat food. I have no idea why since I raised him on royal canin, but when he got tired of that he wouldn't eat, period. I finally gave up and started getting small bags of everything and he decided Cat Chow was the food for him.

The others like the Nutro. Go figure. Feed them what they'll eat, is my motto.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now my kittens are getting Eukanuba, but as soon as I use up what I have left, I'm switching over to Nutro Natural Choice.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

Tailer and Forest get ProPlan canned now. I had to switch them from Nutro canned because Forest was starting to get urine crystals and all three had kind of high urine pH. I wanted to get them on something with higher protein. Unfortunately, neither of them will eat ground cat food...it has to be "chunky". I wish it didn't have by-products, but at least it's nutritionally what they need. Forest gets the urinary health formula, and Tailer gets the indoor chicken and rice. (Harvey refused to switch foods, so he still gets Nutro.)
Nutro contains no by products...

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now my cats are fed.
Nature's Variety - Frozen RAW Patties: Lamb

One of them will be going onto a bland diet of boiled chicken & rice tomorrow night, and then onto something else, not quite sure what yet.