What are your thoughts on taking a cat to be groomed?

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We never, ever took a cat to be groomed growing up. Most of our cats were short hair, but we did have one with long/med hair. My mother took care of his brushing. Sometimes she would give him a bath if he got into something nasty (outdoor cat who slept in the garage) but I don't remember him getting matted.

We initially thought Pangur was much more fluffy than he actually is due to matting. Slowly, over the course of the last month I have managed to work out all of the ones on his sides and belly. However, the hair around his hind legs and tail is still not good. I worry about pulling so hard on his tail hair especially because of all the joints. He will not lie calm enough for me to just cut them out.

I went ahead and made an appointment at a groomer that only does cats. They also keep your pet for most of the day so that they can give them time to calm down and take breaks during the grooming process.

What are your opinions and experiences on taking cats to groomers? If I keep him brushed should I ever expect to need to bring him in again? Thanks.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a good idea in this case. They'll have the experience at removing these mats and hopefully it won't be too stressful for Pangur.
I know some people take their cat to be groomed regularly, but I've always assumed that's more for the long haired breeds like Persians.
Hopefully you'll be able to stop the mats from forming again with regular brushing. Is he good about letting you brush him a lot?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Is he good about letting you brush him a lot?
He tolerates brushing in short spurts if I give him a treat or toy to distract him. He doesn't run off, but he gets annoyed when I attack the mats and then he starts to struggle. He likes the zoom groom okay on his sides and belly where there are no mats left.

Last edited:

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think if its going to be less stressful for your boy and they can do it in short spurts when he gets agitated then it will be good for him. A good solid brushing as often as you think he needs should keep on top of the matts once the groomers get them out. We have a long-med haired tuxedo (shes a moggie) and so far she's had no matts she is very diligent about grooming her self which takes off some of the stress. 

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do house call cat grooming, but I think a salon can also do a great job of grooming as long as the groomer specializes in cats.

They have the tools, shampoos, and other equipment to do a really thorough job of getting dead/shedding fur off your cat, shaving your cat (if necessary), washing the fur to get oil out of the coat, and so on.  

If you are willing and able to brush your cat thoroughly and regularly, so that mats don't even have a chance to start forming, that's great. If you can also trim the claws every few weeks so that the tips don't snag, that's great too. I'd suggest talking to your groomer about which tools to use at home.  It's so much easier when you use the right tools for your cat. 

I do believe that cats benefit from a bath a few times a year. I didn't used to believe this, but after grooming many cats, I see a real difference in their coat after a bath. The coat is lighter and fluffier. It feels better to me, and I'm pretty sure it feels better to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@SpiffyKitty , Could you please tell me if it is customary to tip a pet groomer and if so what the amount should be? Thank you!

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are pleased with the grooming -- or if your cat was hard to groom -- or for whatever reason, tips are appreciated but not expected. The amount is up to you. I'd tip a groomer the same way I tip a hair stylist.