What are your secrets for taking good kitty pics?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see where you're all coming from with the digital camera thing - and I use my Digi a lot, but I am pretty disappointed with the response times.
I bought a Canon with enough manual features to provide freedom....but it's still not enough

I would still rather use my SLR and fork out for the film development. Hey, I do use it a lot for uni work too though and generally take at least 4 films to get done! When I get the next batch done, I will put up some comparisson pics!

Plus, like one of Miss Charlotte's cats, Molly squints a lot!!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the house we live in doesn't have the best lighting so kitty pics are pretty far and few between at my house nowdays, but definitly getting them while they are alert. Having toys to dangle is always good. Lots of my best shots were just pure luck though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
those of you with digital - here's a tip that's helped my camera's response/focus/etc - try depressing the button halfway, then waiting for a good shot. this focuses the camera on the area, & you're ready when they do something cute! i've noticed better pics since i started doing this - especially action pics! i focus on an area, then attempt to lure the cat into that area!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laureen, I do that too, but I think that I am still too used to 36mm and a manual SLR!
I still use auto on myb SLRs but even then they are an incredible amount faster.

I am going to keep on with my Digital, but I don't think I will ever be converted!! I also find digital cameras too small and light, I like to feel that I am doing the work!!

hobbester

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sassykitty

Hobbester - what kind of camera do you have? Your pictures are the BEST, always so sharp and clear.
Thanks!!!! i have the Canon Powershot G3 (now discontinued). It's an old camera but still with pretty good features. i love it. Just wished i can afford to buy the external flash.
The latest Powershot G series is now G6 with 7MP CCD *drool*

My pictures don't always turn out good though, you just don't get to see my bad ones.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties have gotten so used to me pointing the camera at them all the time (they've seen it since the day they were born) that they often won't look at me when I call their names. I've had to resort to barking, making squeeking noises, bird calls, and any other weird noise I can come up with to get their attention.
I also always have my camera charged....I keep it plugged in on my computer desk....so it's ready to go any time. If the kitties are playing, I will often depress the button beforehand in anticipation of a shot. Sometimes I get lucky.....sometimes I don't.

But the best advice of all.......SHOOT LOTS OF PICTURES and you may be lucky enough to get a couple of good ones. Then, you can always sharpen or lighten them up in Photoshop if you need to.