What are your monthly cat expenses?

siamesestacey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have eight, all rescues. Hmm. Well each of them get two cans of Fancy Feast per day, so that's 16 cans a day at seven days a week equals 100 plus cans a week. Plus we put a few extra cans out every day for variety, so let's say 100 plus per week.

My husband buys the litter at Sam's and I have no idea what he pays. We all went to the vet in December and I can't remember what the bill was but I think it was about sixty dollars a cat.

Now, we have one older calico with high blood pressure and borderline thyroid disease so she's on amlodipine made into tuna flavored treats and was on tapazole until it gave her anemia. The anemia prompted rounds of red blood cell counts. Now she's off tapazole but gets blood work every three months. And she had her teeth cleaned with eight extractions - $600.

Then at the end of April the siamese had her pre-op and dental cleaning with four extractions. $500 plus.

Then May two of the boys had their pre-ops and dental cleanings, no extractions - $450 plus

Samantha passed away December after three surgeries $1,200 each, eight chemo treatments at $600 each and a trip to DC to see if she was a candidate for radiation.

Whatever the total is, I'm grateful that my husband and I are able to afford it. I'm very grateful because I don't care if I have to eat a can of Campbell's soup every night for dinner as long as they get the care they need.

Love them so much it hurts.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my first two cats in 2004 the Humane Assoc was passing out info sheets saying that $350 should be budgeted for a cat. $350?? I blew through that in a month. Well, OK, I adopted two cats, but still. I wrote them and suggested their estimate was too low. I suggested they revise their info sheet to $550 per cat. That was based on what I had been spending up to that point. Yesterday Mellie had a dental and two teeth extracted. The bill was $560. So, excuse me, Humane Assoc, I was still too low.

Incidentally, last year they did up their estimate. Now it reads $500.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lets see I have never actually added it up but here goes:

Advantage x 5 = $60.00 per month
Wet food = $64.00 per month
Dry food = $32.00 per month
Kitty Litter 4 buckets per week @ 12.00 each = $48.00 per week x 4 weeks = $192.00. ( I change the boxes and put new litter in each box once a week. I have 6 boxes) But I also have lots of fresh step points

Treats and Toys average $20.00 per month
Kitten forumla $50.00 per month. Baby is weaned but we give her the stage 2 formula for a supplement.

So grand total for 5 cats $500.00 per month

That is not counting the annual vet visits and any emergency costs.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really don't want to know my monthly expenses.

I'm breeding so it's much higher than just having pets. Come up with a number between 1 and 9 and add 3 zero's.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me it's roughly fifty to eighty (dollars) a month for four cats...it'll go up rapidly now that it's spring (I buy much more litter in the warm months). My mom and I noth shop clearance though so we normally get good deals - if we didn't I can't imagine what the prices would be!

Oh, I recently started buying wet food for the kits too - that adds in a good bit too, so I'd go up to seventy to a hundred per month.

Edit: add in any vet bills and strays that come around...I'll move the max up to 150 per month
It keeps climbing! I can't wait (yeah right
to see what it's like in a couple months when we'll most likely be taking in the pair of neighboring cats).

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much right now, cause I only have one cat, but I'm spending my stimulus check on a new kitten, so that'll change.

Maybe 20$ a month on food, 9$ for toys, every few months she needs a vet visit, so thats appox 130 a pop, I buy freshstep litter every other month usually from samsclub (dont even know what i pay for that)

She eats Wellness food, but not alot and doesnt like many toys and doesnt get much catnip often, so shes cheap

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hmmm... well i have 2 kittens
for may my expenses were

shots... $20 each kitten
meds ... $110... for coccidia... deworming ... eye ointment... etc
office visits... $75
food... $16 for dry... Blue Buffalo... they split 1 can a day of Nutro Natural Choice ... so $11
Litter... Tidy Cats Small Spaces $15
Toys... lol... they are cheap dates with toys...

so ... like $250... lol, but it will probably go down once i get them past their kitten stuff and shots, etc...

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For 2 cats...30-40 for food, 15 for litter..plus the occasional new toy here and there. Haven't been for the 1 yr exam yet, that'll be proly 200-300 for both.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I'm breeding so it's much higher than just having pets. Come up with a number between 1 and 9 and add 3 zero's.

And I really don't want to know!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

WOW. I didn't realize breeding was so expensive.