What are your experiences with due dates?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far they all look like coral. I can't wait to see what the last one looks like! It will probably be the odd looking one!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations to Coral! What a great mother. Any more babies yet?

Since she trusts you and wants you close, you should be able to handle the babies any time. Goldy let me pick her babies up to weigh them (on a postal scale) when they were less than an hour old. She also let me move then from the little carrier where she delivered to a laundry basket that I had set up for them.

You can try picking one of them up and if she reacts badly, put it back down immediately.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more babies yet. I'm getting a bit worried because I know I can still feel one in her. The vet said that I could change her posistion and stand her up a bit and it should help start labor up again. I did and and now she's just cleaning herself. We'll see. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I'm freaking out!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yay! She finally had the last one, after 4 hours! I was ready to take her to the vet, so she saved me a lot of wasted time and money. They all look great and healthy. Coral is sleeping as they are eating and everyone is happy. I will post pictures this evening. I want Coral to rest after this huge ordeal. Thank you for all the good vibes

keegen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I noticed on another thread that Coral started having her babies and I was wondering how mama and babies are doing? Did she have anymore after 4? I am so excited for you and can't wait to see pictures!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Coral
Does the last one look like her, too? Can't wait to see pictures.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay Coral! I'm so happy for her!=]

As said before, you can handle them at any time if she trusts you, just keep them in mommys sight, and only handle them for a few minutes at a time.
So their all little tabby and white kitties?
Congrats!
Can't wait to see pics!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're so sweet to check in on her. She's great. She did wind up having a 5th one, 4 hours later! It really freaked me out. I must have called 6 or 7 local vets to get advice. I'm really happy I trusted my gut and didn't put her through a trip to the vet with all of her kittens. Thank you all again. This has been such a treat to beable to share such a special time with such wonderful people.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she has been great letting me move them so that I could check to make sure all the kittens are getting fed. I think she likes me loving them. She purrs the whole time. It's amazing how animals know when they are respected and loved because they give it back ten fold. I have been making sure to love her and the kittens all equally. They will be some friendly kittens!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is good that you are handling them right away. Kittens who are handled early in life become much less skittish of humans and socialize that much more easily. Congrats on a safe and uneventful litter!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I have been picking them up and giving them back to Coral after she takes a break to eat and then goes back and lays down. They have such a hard time finding her, poor little kitties. It also puts a nice trust between Coral and I because she sees that I am giving them to her and I can tell she really loves it. What an amazing experience!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay Coral!
One of my foster cats was like that, always so proud of her kittens, trying to show them off to us! It was adorable!
So glad everything went alright!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to move the kittens and Coral into the bathroom last night because they all kept meowing and I'm a very light sleeper. Has anyone else had that problem? I felt so bad because this morning I opened the bathroom door and Coral immediatly began moving them back into her birthing spot in the closet. I didn't know what to do last night and I was really needing some serious sleep after the 2 1/2 hours from the night before. Is it okay to move her at night and then put her back in the closet in the morning? Otherwise, I don't think I can sleep.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Does she have food, water, and litter box in the bathroom? She should be fine moving back and forth since she's been trusting you with her babies.

I did the opposite with Goldy. Kept the basket under the piano in the living room during the day and moved it into my bedroom at night. That was mostly so I would know if my other cats were bothering the babies (they never did). When I went to work I left them in the bedroom and shut the other kitties out. It never seemed to bother Goldy. She just kept caring for her babies wherever I put them.

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, good to know. It was so cute how she moved the back this morning! I guess it will be part of our daily ritual. I'll help her move them back tomorrow morning, since I'm the one causing it. What a great kitty she's been through all of this.

I wish I wasn't such a light sleeper. Those little meows make my heart just out of my chest when I hear them at night. I don't know if it startles me or what, but I couldn't take it last night

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know what you mean! When I had a bottle feeding kitten, he would want me to be up at 7 every morning, just so he could have his bottle! If I didn't he would cry at me!=P
Finally when he was old enough, I just moved him out!

tinahaj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you sacrificed a lot for a long time for that little one. That's very sweet. The kittens were very quiet last night. They only meow when Coral gets up to go potty and eat, but she was pretty good about getting back to them quickly.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tinahaj

It sounds like you sacrificed a lot for a long time for that little one. That's very sweet. The kittens were very quiet last night. They only meow when Coral gets up to go potty and eat, but she was pretty good about getting back to them quickly.
It did take up a bit of time, but at the end it was so worth it!
I'm so glad everything is going good wit Coral and the kittens!

In a couple of weeks we should be getting a foster mother to care for...I'm so excited!