Penny:
Nipping at my fingers = I want to play

Rubbing against me= pet me

Neko:

Meowing= feed me

Meowing very loud = I want treats

Purring = pick me up

Buddy:

Meowing = every single thing this cat could ever say in his life (he meows a lot lol)

Sophie:

Mewing= talk to me

Meow= let me outside

Running around= feed me or follow me

A little chirp only do scribed as "mrrrewk"= I want milk (I know this isn't good for cats so I don't give her any often)

A "burt"= play time!

Charlie:

Meow= pet me

Snuggle= sleepy time

Small "merts"= but Mom, I want to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

With CC if he bats at you from his condo he wants you to pet him.  If he bats at you with both of his paws he wants you to let him out.
Clever... different batting codes...

A little chirp only do scribed as "mrrrewk"= I want milk (I know this isn't good for cats so I don't give her any often)

A "burt"= play time!

Small "merts"= but Mom, I want to!
I love this... we're getting down to language

mrrrewk does sound a little like milk

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little Mia will start knocking stuff off tables when she wants something.  I mean...she will literally shove paperwork, pens, cups and anything she can knock off the table when she wants something...she refuses to be ignored.  

Just this morning when I went to feed the kitties, Mia was on the desk waiting in line with the others.  When I put the food in the bowl and she didn't get there first, she literally knocked everything off the desk until I had to put her down in front of the food bowl so she could eat ahead of the others standing in line.  LOL

cynbarrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not learned all of my kittens "codes" yet, but we have only been together for 4 months. What I do know so far though is:

Stalking me around the house = "Play with me or I will get you."

Sitting on my face in the morning = "your alarm went off, your supposed to get up now lazy"

Sitting on my keyboard or book = "your being boring, I'm obviously more entertaining than this, pet me" 

and recently, quietly/shylie meowing at me = "Feed me"

Shes a very silly cat and I'm sure all the weird things she does is her way of telling me something, but I just haven't figured them out yet lol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
When Tophel* wants food, he opens the door to the cabinet where the cat food is kept, then he lets it bang closed, over and over until you get him some food. This usually happens in the wee hours of the morning.

*rhymes with waffle
Tophel and Mogli must be related! Mogli can't open the door all the way because of the child-proof lock, but he manages to open it enough to bang it. Subtlety isn't one of his strong points.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the funniest is to open a can with the can opener, no matter where they are, or what they are doing, they both come running! Casper darts very fast in front of my feet, like he's trying to trip me, when he wants to go outside. He DOES get my attention doing this, but not in a good way sometimes! Burt comes up when I'm reading and rubs his head on my arm, he wants me to pay attention to him. They both turn in tight circles and meow loudly when they are hungry. Casper knocks things off the table when he feels we are not paying him enough attention.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the funniest is to open a can with the can opener, no matter where they are, or what they are doing, they both come running!
Lol! That sounds like my house. I love tuna melts with cheddar for lunch and I often sneak out onto the porch with a manual can opener while the cats are asleep so I don't get mobbed. Oh, they wake up and realize I have tuna, but by then it is too late because the pepper and mayo have been added :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I discovered a new code. Well, it's "human" code rather than cat, but when Jed wants to 'ask' me for permission to do something (usually climbing up my desk/bed or eating something that isn't in his bowl or wasn't seen tossed by me), I do the slow blink and then jerk my chin up a little. That is his signal for "yes, go ahead". A sharp "no" is the opposite. Now I save the slow blink for when I want him to know I approve of whatever he's doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I discovered a new code. Well, it's "human" code rather than cat, but when Jed wants to 'ask' me for permission to do something (usually climbing up my desk/bed or eating something that isn't in his bowl or wasn't seen tossed by me), I do the slow blink and then jerk my chin up a little. That is his signal for "yes, go ahead". A sharp "no" is the opposite. Now I save the slow blink for when I want him to know I approve of whatever he's doing.
Well done!  I'm impressed!  Now you've started a whole new idea...

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually Neffie wakes me up several times a night. She makes biscuits in my hair and tries to suckle it. Cleo licks my arms and face. These are code for WAKE UP WE ARE HUNGRY. Two nights ago Cleo decided to change things up a bit. I woke to a rough tongue licking my eyelid!!! Webby meows to tell us things. I much prefer her code!!!

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy shoving his neck against my mouth- wants me to kiss his neck many times and give him love

Spike reaching up with his paw- wants me to bend down so he can rub his nose against my nose

Zebra running then stopping, look at me and give a small meow- Pet me NOW!

Pepper pawing at my arm with claws extended- PET ME MORE

Tango banging his head HARD against my head, running his paws through my hair, pulling at hair bands, jumping HARD on me from end table to my body on bed- GET UP NOW and FEED us!

Heidi sitting looking at me pitifully, meowing and pawing at my legs- telling me to get over to the couch so she could cuddle with me.

Spike flopping down and turning his head down and around- PET ME!

Buddy dragging ribbon over to me- Play time!

Buddy jumping up on my lap and rubbing his nose/neck against my nose/mouth while I"m on the toilet- Kiss me on my neck! CUDDLE TIME!

Tango digging at my arm while on the couch- move your arm so I can cuddle between your body and arm under the blanket....

Zebra or Pepper crouching and staring at a closet door- I've accidently trapped another cat inside and to let the cat out!

Zebra pawing at my legs while in bed- spread my legs so she can snuggle in between legs *rolling eyes*

Heidi/Spike/Tango and Pepper- pawing at my arms while in bed- pull up the blanket so one of the cats can get under the blanket to snuggle with me.

Pepper meowing her head off frantically at me while bathtub is filling up- HURRY UP and get in the bath tub so I can drink from the water!!!!!!!!!

All cats in a semi circle on the floor STARING at me non stop- Dinner time or you'll die.....

Yup- it's official- I'm their slave and know their codes. *sigh*

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Buddy shoving his neck against my mouth- wants me to kiss his neck many times and give him love

Spike reaching up with his paw- wants me to bend down so he can rub his nose against my nose

Zebra running then stopping, look at me and give a small meow- Pet me NOW!

Pepper pawing at my arm with claws extended- PET ME MORE

Tango banging his head HARD against my head, running his paws through my hair, pulling at hair bands, jumping HARD on me from end table to my body on bed- GET UP NOW and FEED us!

Heidi sitting looking at me pitifully, meowing and pawing at my legs- telling me to get over to the couch so she could cuddle with me.

Spike flopping down and turning his head down and around- PET ME!

Buddy dragging ribbon over to me- Play time!

Buddy jumping up on my lap and rubbing his nose/neck against my nose/mouth while I"m on the toilet- Kiss me on my neck! CUDDLE TIME!

Tango digging at my arm while on the couch- move your arm so I can cuddle between your body and arm under the blanket....

Zebra or Pepper crouching and staring at a closet door- I've accidently trapped another cat inside and to let the cat out!

Zebra pawing at my legs while in bed- spread my legs so she can snuggle in between legs *rolling eyes*

Heidi/Spike/Tango and Pepper- pawing at my arms while in bed- pull up the blanket so one of the cats can get under the blanket to snuggle with me.

Pepper meowing her head off frantically at me while bathtub is filling up- HURRY UP and get in the bath tub so I can drink from the water!!!!!!!!!

All cats in a semi circle on the floor STARING at me non stop- Dinner time or you'll die.....

Yup- it's official- I'm their slave and know their codes. *sigh*
  That is one impressive list! 

I have learned a new code from Mouse:   Frantic pawing at my pillow and digging of sheet next to my pillow in the middle of the night then looking directly at small dead rodent layed out neatly next to my pillow = look mom, I've brought you a nice present, now tell me what a wonderful grown up cat I am and give me a big fuss and cuddle!  (Next time I will NOT reach over and try pick it up thinking it's one of his toys that's got stuck under my pillow that he wants back
 )

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just realized I overlooked another code- Buddy just did it to me so he reminded me to add this code. *wink*

Buddy crouching, looking intently at me and bobbing his head- Don't move so I can jump up on your back and lay down across your shoulders.

(I learned not to move the hard way.. Once I was getting out of the tub and Buddy started preparing to jump onto my back and I moved to avoid him and he ended up shredding my back and butt to pieces as he slid off my back and used his claws to try to stay on. I screamed bloody murder. Luckily no one called the cops. LOL. The worst thing was that I lived alone so I couldn't get anyone to tend to my back, put bandaids on or anything. I ended up dressing and having blood seep through my clothes at work and I had to sit VERY CAREFULLY for the first 1-2 days. )

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

(Next time I will NOT reach over and try pick it up thinking it's one of his toys that's got stuck under my pillow that he wants back
 )
That's a good thing to learn.  At night all small dark lumps are suspect!  

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute thread. I'll have to give this some thought.

The one I do know is when I leave the living room to go to the bathroom, and Abby runs after me and jumps into bed, it means that it's late and I need to go to sleep and give her cuddles!  LOL

Oh, and when Spencer brings me his toy and drops it, I am supposed to throw it so that he can bring it back to me.

Katie is more difficult.  I'll have to think about it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have learned a new code from Mouse:   Frantic pawing at my pillow and digging of sheet next to my pillow in the middle of the night then looking directly at small dead rodent layed out neatly next to my pillow = look mom, I've brought you a nice present, now tell me what a wonderful grown up cat I am and give me a big fuss and cuddle!  (Next time I will NOT reach over and try pick it up thinking it's one of his toys that's got stuck under my pillow that he wants back :cringe:  )

Mogli isn't the least bit subtle. He has his own kitchen cabinet (with a child-proof lock) for his food, bowls, and treats. When it's getting close to mealtime or a round of clicker training, he bangs the cabinet door until one of us comes into the kitchen. When he wants my husband to play with him, he takes a toy mouse up his cat tree and bats it at him, usually managing to hit him as he's sitting on the couch next to the tree. He does it multiple times till Daddy gets the "hint". Usually he just brings his toys to me.

Last edited: