What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The week before last I finished reading One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle For Tarawa by John Wukovits.

This was very good read. The book is tells the story of some of participants during the Battle of Tarawa during World War II in 1943. If I recall correctly this was the second amphibious operation that took place in the Pacific theatre by the Marines and Navy. The first was at Guadalcanal and also involved the U.S. Army. The battle lasted for three days and turned out to not be the pushover that many thought it would be. A few hour pre-invasion bombardment barely made a dent in the Japanese defenses that consisted of hundreds of well camoflauged bunkers and pillboxes that were connected by miles of tunnels. During the three days of fighting there were an estimated 6,000 men that died. For the Americans the losses consisted of 1,027 Navy and Marine personel with 2,292 wounded and 88 listed as missing in action. Very few Japanese survived to be taken prisoner. Many of Japanese troops committed mass suicide when the tide of the battle eventually began to turn to the Marines favor. Much of the fighting took place in close quarters with fists, knives and bayonets. Marines would be shot and killed by Japanese in pillboxes and bunkers that were mere feet away from the Marines with the Marines not being able to see them. Flamethrowers were widely used on the island the clear fortifications.

A Marine Staff Sergeant named Norman Hatch took a lot of photos and footage of the battle. There were also reporters embedded with the Marines. Hatch's footage was laster turned into an award winning documentary by director Frank Capra titled With The Marines At Tarawa. The Department of Defense and the President authorized the documentary to be shown to the public to enlighten and prepare them for the facts that the war would be long, brutal and very costly.

The Tarawa Atoll was a chain of small islands. The largest of which was called Betio and was where the battle took place. Why was it fought? The answer to this is that the island contained an airfield that the Japanese could use to launch airstrikes from. The battle had to happen. The lessons learned from this operation were put to use in later amphibious operations during the war in the Pacific. The planners of the D-Day invasion of Normandy also used Tarawa as one of the models during their planning of Overlord.

If you like military history or history in general then I have to recommend reading this book.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a couple of good books to read. I don't read very often so I don't really know what kind of book I'm looking for, just something interesting that will keep me wanting to read. I don't like sci-fi stuff or really sad, depressing storylines. Anyone have any good suggestions?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One book I've really liked recently is the Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. It's kind of a mystery-ish, with flashbacks to the protagonist's past and there is a plot twist at the end to tie it all together.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am reading "ice man, confessions of a mafia contract killer"..it's about richard kuklinski..quite fascinating if you find true crime intriguing.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Hidden Leaves by V.C. Andrews, she's one of my favorite authors. I'm going to the library tomorrow to find some good biography to read next.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

One book I've really liked recently is the Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. It's kind of a mystery-ish, with flashbacks to the protagonist's past and there is a plot twist at the end to tie it all together.
That sounds like something I will like. Now I can go and look for it at the library!

I am currently reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. Very well written so far - she obviously loves the English language - being that she is a professor of English.

vickywild

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat Confidential by Vicky Halls.
I bought Cat Counseller last week and fell in love with it. It only took me two days to read.

So I had to buy this one.
I say, Im not enjoying it as much as the other though!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

That sounds like something I will like. Now I can go and look for it at the library!

I am currently reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. Very well written so far - she obviously loves the English language - being that she is a professor of English.
Now I'm reading some Peter Abrahams - Crying Wolf, and A Perfect Crime (re-reading, actually), and started a new one - The Tutor.

And listening (did I say this already?) to Second Glance by Jodi Piccoult. Really good book. I keep thinking, "ok, this is the end," then I realize I'm only about halfway through!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Now I'm reading some Peter Abrahams - Crying Wolf, and A Perfect Crime (re-reading, actually), and started a new one - The Tutor.

And listening (did I say this already?) to Second Glance by Jodi Piccoult. Really good book. I keep thinking, "ok, this is the end," then I realize I'm only about halfway through!
I remember reading the Tutor. Should I check out the other books? I like Second Glance - it is different from her other books, isn't it? I must re read it!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

I remember reading the Tutor. Should I check out the other books? I like Second Glance - it is different from her other books, isn't it? I must re read it!
I liked Crying Wolf and A Perfect Crime a lot. Especially Crying Wolf.

Second Glance is very different. But I like the love story, and I can sense the twist coming, LOL.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't updated here in a while. I'm reading Katie (Katie Couric) The Real Story by Edward Klein.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i read a lot too. right now i'm on book 4 of c.h. cherry's "chanur saga". when i'm finished i'm going to re-read terry goodkind's 'sword of truth' series now that the last book, #12 in the series is finally out.
to those who read stephen king's 'dark tower' series, what did you think of the ending? i was pretty disappointed. wondered how it would've ended if he'd finished the series before he had that accident.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am almost finished with Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier - (he wrote Cold Mountain)
And I am about halfway through Athenais, a biography of Countess de Montespan (mistress to Louis XIVth), and just starting Summer People!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read another two books over the past few weeks. The first one of these is the second part of a trilogy and is called The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 by Rick Atkinson. The title is self explanatory, the book is about the fighting to liberate Sicily and Italy from the Axis during World War II. This is volume two of The Liberation Trilogy. The first book is titled An Army At Dawn: The War in North Africa 1942-1943. I'm don't believe the third book has been released yet but it will be titled The Normandy Invasion and the War in Western Europe. This was a well written book and I had a difficult time putting it down.
http://www.amazon.com/Army-Dawn-1942.../dp/0805062882

The book I just finished today is called Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945. This books is about the Soviet army during World War II. It's written by Catherine Merridale and is a very interesting read. There are a lot of books on the Eastern Front that you have to sift through because of all of the propaganda in them but this wasn't the case. The author is English and did a lot of research on her own, including interviewing vets and reading through letters. War is a brutal affair, the fighting between the Red Army and the Germans took it to a whole new level with all of the attrocities committed by both sides. Stalin was also harsh with his own troops and civilians.

The book I'm starting tonight is called Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity by J.E. Lendon. This book is broken down into two sections: Greek and Roman. The book tells of the tactics, order of battle, culture and the role of military tradition. Looks to be a good read.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown, and can't decide on my next book - have 43 in the house to read!! I am going to read a kids book in the bath tonight, but prefer to keep those in the house!!
I haven't managed to get hold of No7 in the Dark tower Series yet, I might take a trip to the library at some point and see if they have it yet.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1776 but haven't read the entire thing yet. I have so many started plus I have been going to the library and getting lots of books.
I've just finished Passages by Connie Willis which was really pretty good!! She has another book I want to read called the Doomsday Book.

Status
Not open for further replies.