What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the middle of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I've had it on the shelf for over a year but it hadn't grabbed my attention when browsing through my books for a good read. But I absolutely love it so far!

I've finished the section about Italy, which has me absolutely dying to go back to Italy. I went when I was 18 and fell in love. I would give anything to be able to spend some more time there...especially Florence.

In the middle section now and it's very thought provoking.

If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it!!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished HArry Potter and am going to start on a book called Sold, which is a true story of sisters who were taken to India for a hol and then married off and this is their account of what happened.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished the Authurian Saga (also known as the Merlin Trilogy if you only include the first three books) by Mary Stewart.

I haven't read them since I was in high school, and I could not put them down. Spellbound indeed!

The Crystal Cave
The Hollow Hills
The Last Enchantment
The Wicked Day

before those I read the four City of Ember books.

I am now reading The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, recommended to me by a 13 year old girl. It also is unputdownable.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I finished HArry Potter and am going to start on a book called Sold, which is a true story of sisters who were taken to India for a hol and then married off and this is their account of what happened.
ooo, that sounds good, who's the author?

(scribbling on my library list)

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without walking downstairs to check, it is something like Zana Muhsen, who I think is the actual person - have only read the introduction so far though. They were sold into slavery, and she was there for 8 years, but I believe she is still trying to free her sister.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just finished reading Laceys of Liverpool by Maureen Lee - anybody read any of her books? I thought it was Fab.

Almost at the end of Marley & Me too - I think the movie was better, more emotion.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finished Sold, and it certainly was a heartbreaking and shocking story. Not sure what I am going to read next, although i think it will be a Peter Robinson book.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading "The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. This an excellent book tht tells the story about a company of Marines who had to fight against overwhelming odds when the Chinese entered the Korean War. The fighting takes place during the bitter cold of winter on a hill near the Chosin Reservoir. After a number of days a Marine relief force managed to fight their way through to the surrounded company and together they made their way back to the reformed American lines. One of the reasons I liked the book is because we never hear much about the Korean War because it tends to get overshadowed by the extreme largeness of World War II and the more controversial Vietnam War.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I'm working my way through Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt series. It's sort of a cross between vampires and noir crime. Very dark, pretty disturbing, and very violent, but oddly a good read so long as you don't mind violence and swearing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost finished "Knock Out" by Catherine Coulter. She writes FBI thrillers. You really need to start with the first book though as she makes reference of previous cases/injuries/situations in each of the novels because the main characters are the same throughout with new additions with each story as needed.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

I just finished reading "The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. This an excellent book tht tells the story about a company of Marines who had to fight against overwhelming odds when the Chinese entered the Korean War. The fighting takes place during the bitter cold of winter on a hill near the Chosin Reservoir. After a number of days a Marine relief force managed to fight their way through to the surrounded company and together they made their way back to the reformed American lines. One of the reasons I liked the book is because we never hear much about the Korean War because it tends to get overshadowed by the extreme largeness of World War II and the more controversial Vietnam War.
Oooh! I just ordered that from the library for my son!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oooh! I just ordered that from the library for my son!
It's a good one!!

Over the weekend I started to read "Almost A Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Independence" by Thomas Fleming. He's a good author, and I have a few of books lying around.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im reading "the Campaigns of Alexander" by Arrian, its accounts of Alexander teh Great and his conquests, its for my Alexander the Great history class
. But i am also reading some other books, well sort of, ive been buisy with shcool so not quite as much.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I just finished reading "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. I must say that this is one of the best novels that I've ever read.
I'm so glad you liked it! I never can explain why I liked it so much, but I really did. I think it's time to read it again! I guess it's just...compelling...is what I would call it.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like I need to read that secret history again - I have forgotten what it was about!

Status
Not open for further replies.