What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some "new" books I picked up at Half Price Books. They have some fantastic books on ancient history that I need to clean them out of.

I picked up a few "new" books the other day from HAlf Price Books.

The Early History of Rome by Livy.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...0448092/?itm=1

The Oxford History of the Classical World by John Boardman, Jaspar Griffin, and Oswyn Murray
http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-History.../dp/0198721129

Lincoln's Men: How President Lincoln Became Father To An Army And A Nation by William C. Davis
http://www.amazon.com/LINCOLNS-MEN-P...4926363&sr=1-1

A Leap In The Dark: The Struggle to Create the American Republic by John Ferling
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lea...5176001/?itm=3

This one from my book-of-the-month club:
How Rome Fell: Death of a Superpower by Adrian Goldsworthy
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/How...0137194/?itm=1

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm on the second chapter of John Levitt's Dog Days. Urban fantasy. It's interesting so far, I don't usually like first person POV but the voice is good and the writing is sound.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Praying For Sleep by Jeffery Deaver. Spooky.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im reading the last book of The Mortal Instruments trilogoy, The City Of Glass by Cassandra Clare. Such good books!!! I couldnt put them down!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still reading The Vampire Lestat, I am really struggling with it, so think I will read a John Grisham book before going to book no 3, unless the last hundred pages hook me in and I want to read the next one (that happened with one of the Dark Tower books).

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't see this forum, so I just posted in the cat lounge about the above book. It's the feline equilivant of "Marley and Me" Go to the lounge and read the post. I highly recommend it!

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

I'm reading Praying For Sleep by Jeffery Deaver. Spooky.
i read that book a while back and it was a real pageturner. the ending was surprising.
another book similar to that one is stuart margolin's 'gone but not forgotten.

i am also a big fan of john sandford's 'prey' series. just finished 'wicked prey' a few weeks back.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading this novel called The Borrower of the Night by Elizabet Peters..anyone know anything about it? I'm kind of frustrated with it at the moment...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading Charlene Harris's True Blood Series (there are about 7 books or so in the series... HBO made the show True Blood based off of her books). I have only read the first book so far (haven't even watched the show yet). Now I will be starting her second book called Living Dead In Dallas.

I also have been reading alot of pet books (because I work at a Pet Store and when I have down time I like to educate myself). My most recent book was on African Pygmy Hedgehogs.

After I finish Charlene's True Blood books I am going to go back to reading Lasher by Anne Rice (second book in the Mayfair Witch Chronicles). Once I get threw that it is on to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and then Nightworld (I have all the books from that series...) which is by L.J Smith. I figured once I am done with Anne's books I will be down for another easy read (took a break in the Mayfair Witch Chronicles and read all the Twilight Books months ago). Then I want to finish my Ancient Egypt book, the english version of The Book of The Dead, and then Egyptian Magic. I have reading material too keep my busy for months and months.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Stone That Never Came Down by John Brunner(1973). Kind of a dreary future with massive unemployment,governmental coruption and incompetance mingled with ultra-right wing religious vigilante-zealots.Not too different from the real world kids,is it? World War III is on the wind and mankind`s one possible way out? A type of "drug"(more like a viral symbiote)that enhances consciencness and understanding while increasing empathy and logical thought patterns in those who injest this substance...making such pointless and destructive activities as war,crime,prejudice,etc. to become extinct. It`s a race against global mass-destruction with concerted efforts to find and destroy the only real solution to the sickness we have allowed to define "us" i.e. a degenerate and self-centered modern society.

Kind of grim but John Brunner is one of the top sci-fi authors within the sub-genre of "dystopian" fiction.

Read:Stand On Zanzibar.
The Sheep Look Up. The Jagged Orbit. Shockwave Rider.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im almost finished The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje who is one of my favourite authors. Im also about 1/10th into The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini....both are very good!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading a book about John Buford. He is the subject of a historical person paper I'm writing for my American History 2 class. He was a Cavalry officer in the West before the Civil War started. Afterwards, he participated in a number of major engagements and played a key role in selecting the ground for what would become the Battle of Gettysburg. He was fine officer. One of the better Union generals.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm currently reading a book called Father & Son: The Bob Kerridge Story

It's about the CEO of Auckland SPCA. It's really great so far
This was very different from the normal read. I really enjoyed it though.

I've been meaning to start for two nights now - my new book it's called The Boy I loved before written by Jenny Colgan. Has anyone read this?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to re-read Harry Potter 1 - 5 in anticipation of the movie coming out. I've gotten to number 4...

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone have suggestions for a good, easy-read with a happy ending? I've read a couple downers lately (albeit good ones!) and need something a little perkier next. I'm not really looking for literary merit here....just something to put a smile on my face for a couple days!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading "The Time Traveler's Wife." Not sure I'll be finishing it though. I'm on page 94 or something like that and I'm mega confused

The inside cover and at the beginning of the book state that the main character Henry, the time traveler, has no control over his ability to time travel and that it is unpredictable and just happens randomly.

Yet throughout the book he meets up with either himself and/or his "wife" in the past on specific dates and times which he has given to them, in the past, so that they can expect him.

If this time traveling is random, how can he know dates that he is going to travel back in time to visit? Majorly confusing if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.