What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok- I take back what I wote about the True Blood series.  Maybe I just didn't give it a chance. 

So- I got a Kindle for my birthday.  Or as in the Emperor's New Groove "It's my birthday present to ME!  I'm so happy!"

Checked out the e-book selection in the local library.  With it being spring break, I figured we had some down time for reading.  So I downloaded book 7 in the series b/c it's the only one I could find.  I admit- I'm hooked.  Kind of trashy at times (but hey- I've read all of the Janet Evanovich books too and Stephanie's trashy LOL) but it is cute.  And easy to read and entertaining.  I can't get the images out of my head of coffins with vampires in them being loaded into an airplane. Or a hotel chain with vampire rooms. 

I'm thinking book 1 just has a slow start to it.  I found book one, and since I can have 3 kindle books out at a time, this will only be the 2nd.  The first one I have is almost half done so I'll return that one ASAP. 

Cheryl

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Love the True Blood books! As well as The Hunger Games.

I think my absolute favorite set of books were the A Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy by Libba Bray.

Also anything by Hunter S. Thompson or David Sedaris is going to be on my book shelf <3

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm currently reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's very weird...and I'm not sure if I like it or not truthfully, but I'm halfway through it, so I might as well finish it!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm currently reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's very weird...and I'm not sure if I like it or not truthfully, but I'm halfway through it, so I might as well finish it!

Well it wasn't bad in the end but quite possibly one of the strangest books I have ever read!

Now reading The Hand That First Held Mine by Maggie O'Farrell.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read 2 True Blood books.  Had another one and Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close on my Kindle.  I tried to get into that book I just couldn't.  Returned both books today b/c the loan is up in 2 days and dh finished the first Hunger Games book.

The family wants to see it, but I'd like to read the book first.  And I'm hooked on it.  Don't know if it's a good thing or not.  Very interesting read.  I know it's not real- but the way this author is explaining how these KIDS fight each other to the death- it's just sad and disturbing.

After I finish those 3 books- it'll either be another True Blood book- or the new Sneaky Pie book.  I'm just hoping that this one doesn't annoy me as much as the last one did (and I refuse to buy it- I'll either take the book out of the library or wait until an e-book is available through overdrive).

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Cheryl, I like the True Blood series. She has a couple of other series out, too, that I read, but for the life of me, I can't remember what they are right now.

What annoys you about the Sneaky Pie books? I get frustrated sometimes because she is really into politics and there's always some kind of lecture in there somewhere. I just finished The Big Cat Nap and although I liked the book overall, I guess, I can do without the politics. I won't buy her books; I get them from the library.

If you've not read them, you might be interested in a series by Kim Harrison. The main character is Rachel Morgan who is a witch and who lives with Ivy, a vampire, in an old church; it takes some time for the two of them to come to terms with each other because, evidently, Ivy has some issues with living with a witch. Jenks is their fairy and he's married with hundreds of fairy children. Biz is the very young gargoyle who lives on top of the church, but who likes to come inside sometimes and sit on top of their fridge. It's really a good series. I think the first book is called Dead Witch Walking and I think there are six books now. I have the latest one, A Perfect Blood, on my Nook.

Down These Strange Streets - Edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois

From the Ashes - Jeremy Burns

The Blue Corn Murders - Nancyy Pickard and Virginia Rich

The Eyes of Darkness - Dean Koontz

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished "The Help" (yeah, I know I'm a late adopter) and "The Bride of New France" by Suzanne Desrochers.

Really liked Teh Help, although I found the whole stuation infinitely sad. "Bride of New France" was alright. The beginnign was intriguing, but it lost me by the end.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cheryl, I like the True Blood series. She has a couple of other series out, too, that I read, but for the life of me, I can't remember what they are right now.

What annoys you about the Sneaky Pie books? I get frustrated sometimes because she is really into politics and there's always some kind of lecture in there somewhere. I just finished The Big Cat Nap and although I liked the book overall, I guess, I can do without the politics. I won't buy her books; I get them from the library.

If you've not read them, you might be interested in a series by Kim Harrison. The main character is Rachel Morgan who is a witch and who lives with Ivy, a vampire, in an old church; it takes some time for the two of them to come to terms with each other because, evidently, Ivy has some issues with living with a witch. Jenks is their fairy and he's married with hundreds of fairy children. Biz is the very young gargoyle who lives on top of the church, but who likes to come inside sometimes and sit on top of their fridge. It's really a good series. I think the first book is called Dead Witch Walking and I think there are six books now. I have the latest one, A Perfect Blood, on my Nook.

Down These Strange Streets - Edited by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois

From the Ashes - Jeremy Burns

The Blue Corn Murders - Nancyy Pickard and Virginia Rich

The Eyes of Darkness - Dean Koontz
Her political rants bother me too. 

I was wondering about The Big Cat Nap.  I might go ahead and put that one on hold.

I used to like her books.  That's why I have a Tortishell Tabby named Sneaky Pie

I'd never heard of that series- I think I might try that one next. 

After I finish The Hunger Games trilogy (currently reading the 2nd one)- I've got 3 books on my Kindle I'd like to read.

Irreparable Harm Melissa Miller

Favored To Win- Mary Myers

In the Blood- Steve Robinson

All free.  I'm cheap- I'd rather go to the library (or get it from Overdrive) or find a book for free on Amazon rather than pay for it

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I liked The Help. 

My 18 year old liked it too.  I couldn't get the 15 year old to read it, but she's not "into" history as much as her sister is. And there is a bit of "real" history in that book.

Cheryl

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Big Cat Nap was ok.  I dunno- I think Sneaky Pie and friends need to go into retirement.  I'm curious though about Sneaky Pie for President, Amazon says that one will be out in Sept.  I had someone at work give me The Tell Tale Horse (we were talking about books on break).  Can't remember if I read that one or not.

But first I'm going to finish Mockingjay.  The rest of the family has read all 3 Hunger Games books, and I'm curious to see if this one is as good as the others.  Catching Fire wasn't bad- I just didn't like it as well as Hunger Games.

Cheryl

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am reading Catching Fire (second Hunger Games book). I liked The Hunger Games better, but this one is good too. 

rescuecatmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catching Fire was my favorite Hunger Games trilogy book.

Anyway, I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban right now.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOVED this book, but then again I've liked all books by Billie Letts.

Now reading The Kingdom of Childhood by Rebecca Coleman.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Deadlocked, the new Sookie Stackhouse series..I don't like it so far :( The quality is like a free book...horrible! But I am in love with those characters so I want to keep reading about them, so I will finish it..

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Deadlocked, the new Sookie Stackhouse series..I don't like it so far :( The quality is like a free book...horrible! But I am in love with those characters so I want to keep reading about them, so I will finish it..
For some reason, I thought that book was released later in May. That will be next for me to read after I finish Mockingjay. I just finished reading all of the other Sookie Stackhouse books recently.

coalsmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just finished up The Hunger Games trilogy. It was pretty good... such an easy read. Read the trilogy in about two weeks (could've done it fast, but I work and clean house and stuff.) Pretty dramatic stuff for teens, but a good tale, nonetheless.

Now I'm trying to decide between two adventures to take. The first being Battle Royale. Supposedly, it's the "adult version" of The Hunger Games. More blood guts and gore, I guess. I'm not really sure, but I would like to read it to compare. 

The second being 50 Shades of Gray. I don't know too much about it, but it's another trilogy. A friend at work started reading it and I really enjoy talking about books with her. So I can't decide between comparing two similar, yet very different stories, or sharing a book with someone. Hahaha. 

Another book that I plan on reading in the near future would be Sutree by Cormac McCarthy. He's pretty fricken amazing, so I wanna check out this book. Plus, my boyfriend tells me that I would love it so.... it's on the list, too. 

Status
Not open for further replies.