What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laiste

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

The Stand is tied for first place with Gone With the Wind and Clan of the Cave Bear for me.
Clan of the Cave Bear! *swoon* I love that book! The sequels were a little disappointing but the first was brilliant. May well grow to be a favourite but believe it or not I only heard of it three months ago!

Um...to stay on topic I guess...I am reading Open University textbooks right now lol, no time to start a new fun book till my essay is handed in *sigh*

PS - I felt the exact same way about Dark Tower booktigger! I feel he rushed to finish considering how long had been between each book up till the fourth/fifth and it did suffer a bit...

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Laiste

Clan of the Cave Bear! *swoon* I love that book! The sequels were a little disappointing but the first was brilliant. May well grow to be a favourite but believe it or not I only heard of it three months ago!
I started reading the series more than 15 years ago, and the last instalment is finally coming out next month. But last time a new one came out I found it pretty disappointing. At least you did not have to wait that long.

Right now I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, a book about the Tudors from the standpoint of Thomas Cromwell. I'm having a hard time getting through it.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Now reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay.
This was a WONDERFUL book, but very, very sad. Keep the tissues handy, but DEFINATELY read this book.

Last night I started The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman and am already half done it.
She's one of my favorite authors.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Last night I started The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman and am already half done it.
She's one of my favorite authors.
I absolutely adore Alice Hoffman and have enjoyed many of her novels. Many of them read like fairytales, involving tragedy, all emcompassing love, heartache and many things mystical and spiritual. I must say though, that for me this wasn't one of her best novels. That being said, it was still an enjoyable read, just not one of her best.

Now reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. Hopefully it will be as good as The Forgotten Garden was!

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Have you read the first three in the Dark Tower series? I liked the first four, hated the 5th, wondered what possessed me to get out the 6th, but really enjoyed the 6th and 7th.
i've read everything Stephen King, but hated the ending of the DT series. i always wondered how different it would've been if he finished it before he had the accident.

i'm in the middle of Cemetary Dance by Preston/Child. i really like their books

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading A Relable Wife,

based on recommendations from this thread. It is VERY slow going to start, does it ever get any better? Life is short and there are many books, I don't like to waste my time plugging through a book that is not enjoyable to me. But if you who've read it say it gets better I will keep trying.

But I hope it picks up soon because all that vague rhetoric is getting on my nerves

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Reading A Relable Wife,

based on recommendations from this thread. It is VERY slow going to start, does it ever get any better? Life is short and there are many books, I don't like to waste my time plugging through a book that is not enjoyable to me. But if you who've read it say it gets better I will keep trying.

But I hope it picks up soon because all that vague rhetoric is getting on my nerves
Personally I loved it, but I was pretty into it from the start, so it might not be your thing.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Personally I loved it, but I was pretty into it from the start, so it might not be your thing.
I've given up on The Reliable Wife. There was some action and dialogue for a minute or two when they met and drove out to his house but now it's gone back to endless and I mean endless pages of introspection. I don't mind character introspection, thinking back on a life is helpful to build the character, but it's the same thoughts on page after page after page. Four pages of prose on one little thought! UGH! I think I would like the story, I would really like to know what happens, but is the whole book like that? Three pages of action and dialog then five zillion words that all say the same thing over and over? Life is too short.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've given up on The Reliable Wife. There was some action and dialogue for a minute or two when they met and drove out to his house but now it's gone back to endless and I mean endless pages of introspection. I don't mind character introspection, thinking back on a life is helpful to build the character, but it's the same thoughts on page after page after page. Four pages of prose on one little thought! UGH! I think I would like the story, I would really like to know what happens, but is the whole book like that? Three pages of action and dialog then five zillion words that all say the same thing over and over? Life is too short.
I know what you mean. Different strokes for different folks I guess. What are you reading now?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know what you mean. Different strokes for different folks I guess. What are you reading now?
I just started The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, I think I got that from here, too. (I make lists when I read this thread
)

I fell asleep by the second chapter though, LOL. But I was tired. My problem MAY be that I am waiting for a book that won't be available until the middle of April and nothing new is going to please me until then. But then, I did enjoy Anne Tyler's latest last week.

But I will give The Forgotten Garden more of a chance tonight as I had a great sleep last night!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just started The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, I think I got that from here, too. (I make lists when I read this thread
)

I fell asleep by the second chapter though, LOL. But I was tired. My problem MAY be that I am waiting for a book that won't be available until the middle of April and nothing new is going to please me until then. But then, I did enjoy Anne Tyler's latest last week.

But I will give The Forgotten Garden more of a chance tonight as I had a great sleep last night!
The Forgotten Garden IS a great story, but it does take a bit to get into. Trust me though, that one is very much worth it.
Hope you enjoy it! So far I'm finding Kate Morton's The Distant Hours not nearly as good as The Forgotten Garden. I'm about 150 pages in and am finding it very boring thus far, but I'm hoping it'll get better.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The Forgotten Garden IS a great story, but it does take a bit to get into. Trust me though, that one is very much worth it.
Hope you enjoy it! So far I'm finding Kate Morton's The Distant Hours not nearly as good as The Forgotten Garden. I'm about 150 pages in and am finding it very boring thus far, but I'm hoping it'll get better.
I'm going to stick with it, I hope. The Reliable Wife...it brings to mind another book I had issue with.

I have a friend who I discuss books with a lot, though we have very different tastes in reading.

Anyway she told me I HAD to read The Poisonwood Bible. She went on and on about it. So I got the Poisonwood Bible out of the library. It was so slow going I couldn't even get past the prologue. When I told her that she urged me to keep at it so I read a bit further but just couldn't not get involved in it.

A few years later she brought it up again, so I tried it again. Again, I could not get into it. She kept saying but the last third of the book is SO GOOD. Well sure but the book is over a thousand pages long in hardcover (and tiny print)! Am I going to struggle through more than 600 pages just to get to the good ending? Well I did not.

Then a few years later another friend who I like to talk books with, a man this time, e mailed me that he was reading The Poisonwood Bible and he was loving it and wanted me to read it with him so we could talk about it. I told him I'd already tried it twice, but decided oh what the heck, and got it out again

Again, I was unable to get into it. LOL! But I'd say I gave it enough of a try, wouldn't you?

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anne Rice's 'Violin' was a dud too. i read it because i read all her other books and i kept thinking something has got to happen soon but it never did.

right now i'm reading Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods'. i love his other 2 i read ,neverwhere' and 'good omens'.

milanos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All your reads sound so educated

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Interesting Times at the moment, got nearly all Discworld books through now. And I enjoy it immensely, a proper mirror held in front of our noses, packed up as fantasy, and my husband always looks at me when I have to laugh out loud about how absurd life sometimes is. I love the City Watch the most though.

Before I started with that, I read all Raymond Feist books, I think the series is finally finished. Took him long enough lol

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am loving The Forgotten Garden. I can't put it down. Today was my only day off, and I had many errands planned. But this morning I felt so chilled I convinced myself I might be coming down with something and the wisest thing to do would be to rest.

So I have rested all day while devouring this book, much to the cats' delight.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am loving The Forgotten Garden. I can't put it down. Today was my only day off, and I had many errands planned. But this morning I felt so chilled I convinced myself I might be coming down with something and the wisest thing to do would be to rest.

So I have rested all day while devouring this book, much to the cats' delight.
Wonderful hun, I am glad you're enjoying it!
I got to the same point where I couldn't put it down. The Distant Hours is starting to get a little better, but not nearly as good as The Forgotten Garden yet.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just finished two, both of which I really liked: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, and Tears of Rage by John Walsh, about his son's murder and America's Most Wanted.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Such Sweet Sorrow by Katie Flynn
Such a lovely book. Now reading A Mother's Hope by Katie Flynn -

Does anyone else read WW2 stories? I like my stories set in Liverpool, Ireland or Wales. If anyone has an author who writes these stories let me know. These are my fave!

Status
Not open for further replies.