What are you going to cut back on?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I spent the money (worth it!) for a set of Cashmina micro-plush sheets from Domestications and will be keeping my thermostat at 60-65 degrees (I'm freezing unless it's at least 71 degrees in the house!)
I need to buy a new comforter, as our new place heat isn't included in rent (it's gonna be cooooold
). So I looked at the Cashmina stuff. Do you think the comforter would be good? It's on sale too. About 1/2 the price of the down alternative comforter I was looking at.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I need to buy a new comforter, as our new place heat isn't included in rent (it's gonna be cooooold
). So I looked at the Cashmina stuff. Do you think the comforter would be good? It's on sale too. About 1/2 the price of the down alternative comforter I was looking at.
I definitely think so.
I like my sheet set so much I'm looking for a 2nd for less $ on eBay.

I'd have ordered the comforter too, except I have two already, plus a flannel duvet cover (also bought for low $ on eBay) I put one of the comforters inside of in the winter - that adds extra air layers and helps keep me toasty in bed.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a side note- for those of you wanting to save on kitty litter- the Target store brand works REALLY well! I was using the Arm & Hammer but decided to try the Target brand of scooping/clumping litter to save money- and wound up LOVING it better! I paid $7 a few nights ago for a big tub of it that was on sale!

When you're done with the plastic containers you can take them to your local animal shelter! We use the buckets the kitty litters come on after scrubbing them down -to put water in them for our dogs in the kennels! That way you're recycling too!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with a gal who lives just down the street from me. Our shifts changed recently at work, and now we both work the same hours. We will occasionally have different days off, but I've already asked her if she'd like to carpool to work. Of course, we won't be able to on the days I'm on call. I've changed most of my light bulbs to the fluorescent spiral kind. I've installed a programmable thermostat and put in extra attic insulation two winters ago. I only do laundry when I have full loads. I dropped my phone carrier and got the cable bundle (phone, TV and internet) which saved me about $70/month. I can't cut back on cat food, as I need to buy the prescription renal food for the girls. I've switched from Scoop Away litter to Meijer (store brand.) I use a lot of store brand items. I'm not really sure where else I can cut back.

One major thing that I've discovered (and it's going to potentially save me lots of money!) Since I've joined the employee fitness center and started working out....my migraine headaches have decreased to only about one a week. I was spending $48/week on Imitrex....I haven't bought any Imitrex in nearly a month!!! That's an incredible savings, nearly $200/month!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

One major thing that I've discovered (and it's going to potentially save me lots of money!) Since I've joined the employee fitness center and started working out....my migraine headaches have decreased to only about one a week. I was spending $48/week on Imitrex....I haven't bought any Imitrex in nearly a month!!! That's an incredible savings, nearly $200/month!!!
That's awesome!!!
We get a city employee discount at our local gym too so that's where we workout as well!
Getting into shape really does help cut down on medical issues!
Good for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This isn't a great savings, but a few bucks here and there adds up.

I have 15 feline mouths to feed and most of them love getting pouched treats once in a while. They run anywhere from $1.19 to $1.79, and with that many mouths, a pouch doesn't last that long. I stopped buying the pouches and instead got a bag of food that they don't normally get (Friskeys), put some in a baggy and give it to them like treats. They love anything that's not their regular food and think they're getting something really special. I don't know if it's any better or worse for them than the more expensive treats, but it's MUCH cheaper.

Yeah, popcorn for a snack is much cheaper than chips, and probably better for you.

Way to go Pookie. Don't exercise too much or you'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

Way to go Pookie. Don't exercise too much or you'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe.
HeeHeee! I can spend some of the money I'd normally be spending on Imitrex on a new wardrobe!!! Honestly, I wouldn't complain too much about it, lol!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy food in bulk at discount stores and cook nearly all of my meals from scratch. Since I know how to sew, I save a lot of money by making a lot of things that people buy, like blankets, curtains and some clothes. DH grew a garden over the summer and we were very sad when it got cold and we had to actually buy tomatoes.

We replaced the gas guzzlers with more fuel efficient cars, and moved closer to our jobs. We're keeping a very close eye on solar technology, which is not only getting more efficient, but less expensive. We're saving up to convert our home to all solar, probably in another 2 years. Our heating bill in the winter right now is about $300 and that's a bill I would love to lose.