What Are The Potential Side Effects Of Terminating My Cats Pregnancy?

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got another cat about 6 weeks ago and as soon as I got her, I went and got her vaccinated. Then I had to wait 3 weeks and I got her vaccinated again. Finally I was able to make her an appt to get spayed, but it's not until may 15 and her kittens would most likely be delivered by then.... I called and they said they will see her early and spay and terminate the pregnancy. She is probably about 6 weeks along, so what are the potential side effects? I'm just worrried it will do more harm than good.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go ahead with the spay. Vaccinating while pregnant can lead to deformities and failure to thrive with the kittens.

When could they get her in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They can get her in on the 24th. I asked about the vaccinations and they said the ones they gave wouldn't have harmed the babies.

Brenda Hammell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got another cat about 6 weeks ago and as soon as I got her, I went and got her vaccinated. Then I had to wait 3 weeks and I got her vaccinated again. Finally I was able to make her an appt to get spayed, but it's not until may 15 and her kittens would most likely be delivered by then.... I called and they said they will see her early and spay and terminate the pregnancy. She is probably about 6 weeks along, so what are the potential side effects? I'm just worrried it will do more harm than good.
My brother didn't realize kitters was pregnant when spayed :( she lost her babies and has never been the same since. Very sad

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that happened to your girl, but I don't think that's a common reaction. It doesn't sound like she was far along, and cats don't have a desire to be parents like humans might. It's a hormonal reaction which shouldn't have long term effects.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The biggest side effect is, late spaying / abort is more tricky than early abort. Obvioiusly. So it needs an experienced vet surgeon. But once the vet IS experienced with such spaying, it shouuldnt be any problem. And as they were willing without you even begging, they are apparently knowleable on this type of surgery.

As a side note, kittens, unlike humans, arent viable before a few days before the expected delivery. So relatively late abortions arent as touchy as with humans - where its touchy. As a child could survive born even several month before...

Maternal instincts? They come in very late together with the hormones. So it probably will not be any issue. But if you can perhaps let her be a foster momma, so she has someting to take care of?

I dont think this maneuver will be necessary, but you may have it in reserve.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't do it !! I had a stray have 3 kittens two weeks ago in my home two passed away .. The one kitten left is so beautiful and the Queen loves her baby so much . Please Please Please don't do it ... Please give those baby's a chance ..

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
We were going to spay our stray Tera despite her being pregnant in the end I couldn't do it. She has now been rehomed though a wonderful rescue and her two kittens now almost 8 months old are playing on the floor next to me. Obviously this is an emotional decision but there isn't a right or wrong. This is one where no one should judge you unless they're walking in your shoes.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am sure by now you have made your decision. But I just wanted to share a story with you. We pulled two pregnant cats from a very high intake kill shelter, there names are Sadie and Sabrina. Unfortunately the facility we pulled them from had vaccinated them. Not 12 hours after we pulled them Sadie gave birth to 6 beautiful babies. All premature, one still born. Another did not make it through the day. We began supplement feeding the rest because they were just too small to suck off of momma. We lost another kitten three days later. The remaining three kittens were doing really well, made daily weight gains. We unexpectedly came home to find another kitten had passed. We took Sadie and the remaining two kittens to our vet. He examined everyone and said everyone looked really healthy, he said the last kitten probably had a heart defect or something like that from the vaccines. A few days after this vet visit another kitten passed. Nothing predicted this, they were making normal weight gains. Sadie's last kitten is now 7 weeks old and he is thriving for now. Sabrina gave birth a couple of weeks after Sadie. I woke up to her giving birth to her third kitten. All EXTREMELY premature, 60 grams. One of them didn't even have fur fully. I don't know if they were still born or if they passed after birth but two were already dead. The third was barely alive. And not developed enough to try to nurse or take any formula from the syringe/bottle. She had another kitten who passed hours after being born. I left the room and when I came back in I found Sabrina in her sister Sadie's nesting box, cuddled up to her, Sadie's kittens, and two of her passed kittens. I sobbed and left them be so that Sadie could comfort her. I came back in a couple of hours later and found Sabrina with ANTHER kitten stuck coming out. We rushed her to the emergency vet so they could remove the kitten (already passed) and make sure that there weren't any others. If I could do it again I probably would have spayed Sabrina when I got her (hindsight is 20/20 though). After talking to the rescue coordinator of the sending facility and begging them not to vaccinate their pregnant cats anymore, they told me it was their policy. She also told me that Sadie and Sabrina's third sister Samantha (who I had not had room to pull) also was pregnant and lost all of her kittens as well. She got very sick after miscarrying them and they euthanized her. Looking back, if I would have known that all of this was going to happen I definitely would have done it again. I couldn't imagine them having to go through all of this separated in cages in a shelter. I do wish I would have spayed Sabrina as soon as I got her, Sadie was too far along.
167215-540250fcae0961bb0bce475285e4089d.jpg

We are a small rescue and have spayed/aborted cats who were early in their pregnancy. We like to prevent as many homeless kittens as we can (we currently have over 20 kittens :eek: ). However if they are over 7 weeks, and we can see/feel fetal movement we won't do it. Although I know other rescues do, with no problems. I haven't had any behavioral changes in the moms who I had spayed early on.
I know it is a very hard decision to make (and I am sure by now you have already made it!) but I just wanted to tell my (Sadie and Sabrina's) story!