What are the MUst tests for a stray cat

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got a cat today, A stray cat who is very poor looking. His gums are severly infected to the point they hurt and he is very thin, I already bought a litter box for him and some food. He used to be owned from the way he acted.

I need to know what test do i need to have done that is a MUST. He is going monday to the vet for his gums and I want to have him tested for certain things, i just dont knwo what. He is seperated from my other cats.

Ashley

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He should be tested for FeLV and FIV first of all. Then get all his shots and flea meds and check for ear mites. Is he neutered? You'll have to do that too. I know you didn't ask about those but I am just letting you know.

Thats cool that you rescued him. The vet should be able to recommend what he needs. If you have seen this vet before that is good otherwise tell him you have other cats. I think some diseases can be airborne so be careful and maybe keep a window cracked open or fans on to keep air going in and out in case he has something bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will call my vet tomorrow and ask how much those tests cost, Overall its his weight nad mouth that are the major thing. All the other strays around there seem in top shape so he probly isnt getting to the foods when they feed them. My sister says he is always late to eat when she feeds the cats around her house. She tries to feed him but the others eat it before he did.

Ashley

G

ghostuser

Don't forget a fecal test for parasites. (I even get one done by my vet for the cats I adopt from my shelter.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THe only vet who actually knows my name after a month or more of no visit. I feel so welcomed, except for teh person who takes the money. I feel so low for some reason. I just don't like her. She just really knows how to make me feel bad when she even speaks to me.
. BUt the vet he is awsome!!!! Fixed my dog the day I went up there to have anouther animals shot(Rascal was waiting for 3 days to be fixed). He didnt know Rascal was there in the first place.
. I make sure they dont forget about my cats.

Alfred is my vets name. He seeing farm animals as well as house pets. Its in a farming community

Ashely

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on the age of the cat (the vet should be able to determine it by looking at the kitty's eyes and teeth), you may need to do a blood panel too. If the cat is 10 or more years old, I would highly recommend it, especially since he's skinny. He may be hyperthyroid. It is relatively common in cats over 10. I found my Spot in September, and he had it when I found him. We were able to put him on medication and he has gained 3.5 pounds since then and looks much healthier.

Best of luck to you and your kitty. Our rescues can be the sweetest, most rewarding cats on earth. I have to give Spot pills twice a day, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.