maro.

Kitten
Purraise
What are the good vegetables/fruita for cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, the answer depends on what you are looking for. Do you mean for nutritional benefits in home cooked meals? Or for fiber?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maro.

Kitten
Purraise
Hi, the answer depends on what you are looking for. Do you mean for nutritional benefits in home cooked meals? Or for fiber?
Umm i wanna know the vegetables that won't harm her i usually feed her potato or zucchini but i wanna find something new

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's harmful for one may not be harmful for another: one of our cats barfs if she eats foods that have potato in them. When I told our vet that, she said potatoes shouldn't be in cat food anyway. Cats are meat-eaters and they're not really built to eat vegetables, though, as Furballsmom Furballsmom mentions, some foods have small amounts of vegetable matter for vitamins or fiber.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No vegetables or fruits are "good" for cats. Cat are obligated carnivores and don't need either in their diet. They can't really utilize plant protein and their digestive systems aren't made to break them down. It would be like feeding a cow a mouse.

It doesn't mean they can't get some nutrition from fruits or vegtables, but there are better source for those same things in their preferred diet of meat. Some cats will eat grass and long fiber plant material in the wild but thats more for digestive purposes and grass isn't a fruit or vegetable. Some cats in domestic situations will eat fruits and vegtables out of necessity or even a preference (think sugar high or a human eating junk food). Commercial cat foods have both out of necessity too for shelf stability and price.

Bottom line, there is no reason to feed you cat any vegtable or fruit. If fruit or vegtables happen to be in your cat food, it is one of those things that happen and if its in their food it is generally safe. But you shouldn't be looking for a specific fruit or vegtable to feed your cat.

Edit to add, forgot about pumpkin. That's a good for digestion thing and there are a handful of other medicinal type scenarios. Still doesn't mean you should search out fruits and vegetables or make them a normal part of feeding without reason.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
wanna know the vegetables that won't harm her
One thing you could use, although in small amounts to be sure she doesn't become constipated, could be plain pureed pumpkin.

There are some things mentioned in this thread I've linked, as enticers/tempters to get a cat eating again. Here again, you'd want to use very small amounts and not on a regular basis.
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

You can also make treats, if you look on your search engine for homemade cat treats recipes.