What are the first steps to making a kitty comfy?

foreverfuzzy127

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

When getting a kitten what are the things you should do to help the kitten feel comfortable? what do you do to show them that their new home is safe?
How should you handle and care for a kitten that might be scared or uneasy or a bit stressed because of the new surroundings?

Another question is how do you make a place kitty proof? what shouldn't be around that isn't obvious and might sometimes be ignored because to us it might seem harmless but to them it can be a big ouchie.

Thanks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For kittens under 4-5 months old, they are confined to one room (bedroom, bathroom) if they cannot be supervised. I've raised purebred cats and its a lot easier to help them adjust if you take things slow. They have one room to explore with food, litter pan, water and some nice comfrotable beds to curl up in or blankets.

The room is checked for any wires they might chew on - and I have a bottle of Bitter Apple spray that is used from the time they are exploring - they learn very early not to chew on things
. You want to be sure there are no small places fro them to crawl under and get stuck.

As they are supervised, you allow them time to explore other rooms on their own terms and know they can run back to the "safe" room any time. In those couple of months they have more confidence then if you just turn them loose in the entire house. That is why its important not to adopt a kitten that is too young - best age is 12-16 weeks old; 10 weeks minimum. The more confidence you can give the kitten early, the better they will be in a new home.

The ones that adopted my rex kittens were amazed at how confident they were and how well trained at an early age