What are some toys you have for your domestic predators?

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering what are some of the toys you guys use with your fur babies, to bring out their instinctual hereditary behavior?

I recently bought the Neko Flies wand toy --> (https://www.nekoflies.com/)

And Hooligan absolutely LOVES it. Once he catches the life-like "animal" in his mouth, he growls, paws at it and then tries to run away with it - its so cute!

I am looking to get more toys as such, I would just love to hear what you guys use for your little hunting babies!

EDIT: I forgot to mention also, toys that I am able to leave at home when I am gone to work would be great too! Ha ha.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have Da Bird, which both go bonkers for.  Casper is older so getting him excited and moving takes a lot of enticement and that one does it for him.  

A friend gave me something I don't even quite know how to describe - it's a heavy piece of cardboard that is made to resemble some kind of prey - on the end of a strong piece of wire that is very springy.  Has a small handle at the end for you to hold onto.  This one they both find highly entertaining also because the motion is unpredictable.  I can bounce it in the air, drag it along the floor, etc. and because of the way the metal is made the "prey" has this herky jerky motion to it which really sets them off into hunt mode.  

Cocoabean is a lot younger than Casper is, with boundless energy and entertained easily. She is still a huntress. She is very partial to a ball in a track toy we got her.  I think this one may be her favorite - she never seems to tire of it and since it's self-motivated (i.e.; we don't have to do anything) it's really wonderful for her.  Also really enjoys chasing after sparkly soft balls and plastic springs (meant for cats - not household objects).

And when all else fails - she hunts Casper 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have Da Bird, which both go bonkers for.  Casper is older so getting him excited and moving takes a lot of enticement and that one does it for him.  

A friend gave me something I don't even quite know how to describe - it's a heavy piece of cardboard that is made to resemble some kind of prey - on the end of a strong piece of wire that is very springy.  Has a small handle at the end for you to hold onto.  This one they both find highly entertaining also because the motion is unpredictable.  I can bounce it in the air, drag it along the floor, etc. and because of the way the metal is made the "prey" has this herky jerky motion to it which really sets them off into hunt mode.  

Cocoabean is a lot younger than Casper is, with boundless energy and entertained easily. She is still a huntress. She is very partial to a ball in a track toy we got her.  I think this one may be her favorite - she never seems to tire of it and since it's self-motivated (i.e.; we don't have to do anything) it's really wonderful for her.  Also really enjoys chasing after sparkly soft balls and plastic springs (meant for cats - not household objects).

Da Bird looks great! I am trying to get Hooligan to be more of a hunter. The cardboard thing sounds pretty interesting! Ha ha - is it possible to submit a picture of it?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Da Bird looks great! I am trying to get Hooligan to be more of a hunter. The cardboard thing sounds pretty interesting! Ha ha - is it possible to submit a picture of it?
I think I kept the packaging so I can find out the name.  If not, I'll try and remember to take a photo (I'm at the office now).  I think my friend got it in her Pawalla monthly subscription box - she decided she had too many toys for her herd and passed it along to me :D

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That Pawalla box looks GREAT!!!! WHOA!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Yeh, we have a ball and track thing too and it's been the most consistent toy Mouse has played with since I got him: he'll play with it on his own but also likes it if I bat the ball back to him (how to look REALLY daft).... it's about the only toy he uses independently. Oh, and he loves a catnip refillable furry hedgehog thing too and after he's 'killed' it he runs off so I can't steel it :) The flat is full of endless toy 'mice', balls, and feather wand toys that get rotated, and cat tree so he can watch the birds n bees outside. Add in playing with my post, any paper and card he can get his teeth in to, and medium size boxes and paper bags I can leave around the floor for Mouse to hide in and I think he's kept quite busy. On the whole he likes the freebie stuff the best 
  In the absence of a furry playmate he hunts me.... Then at night he spends ages just sitting in front of my washing machine or beside a boxed in down-pipe in the spare room: I assume he's heard a prospectively tasty rustle coming from behind them and is living in hope said rustle will be stupid enough to come out some time.   I'm happy to know he has a strong hunting instinct!  

Off to look up this Pawalla box!!!!!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That Pawalla box looks GREAT!!!! WHOA!
I just ordered a mini-box for 6 months.  The big one was a) too much $$$ and b) with only 2 cats, I really didn't think I needed that much.

First one is on it's way - totally can't wait to see what is in it!

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ordered a mini-box for 6 months.  The big one was a) too much $$$ and b) with only 2 cats, I really didn't think I needed that much.

First one is on it's way - totally can't wait to see what is in it!
I was JUST about to do that! But my cats aren't ones for treats...

Please let me know how it goes! I'd love to hear your first experience!