What are some things you've had to cut back on?

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get DVD's and books from the library rather than renting or buying. I have a relative cut my hair instead of going to the salon. I shop only when I really need to save on gas. I try to stay out of malls...too tempting! I still spoil my kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We get books and rentals at the library too. We also get an online dvd service. Its 8 bucks a month and we can watch unlimited movies from the computer and get 1 rental at a time as many a month through the mail. We can see the latest rentals w/o paying $5 a piece for them-yikes!

We went down to one car. My sister had worked from home, she is now filing for disability. So one car works for us. She drops me off at work in the am (which is a mile away from home) and does errands or goes to the library etc. Than picks me up at 4:30-5. The car is paid for and our ins. is super low becuase we have had no accidents and have good driving records.
I pay about $400 a year. We are careful of what trips we take so we don't waste gas.

I definately pay more attention to size vs. cost when buying things. Sometimes it pays to get the bigger size and sometimes it doesn't. I also get frozen vegg instead of fresh, unless it's for salads. But haven't figured out how to use frozen fruit?? i think i'll start a thread on that.

I am going to switch to pay as I go for my cell phone in the new year once my contract is up. Would love to get rid of it but my car is old and I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road without one....been there, done that!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zooy

-instead of buying video games, we rent one every once in a while
For those who rent, even occasionally. Sometimes you're not saving any money this way. Often it's set up so that a person does end up getting late fees. For newer games that's already $7-9 to rent, then that charged to you again. Buy used and look for good store sales. Make sure the store guarantees what it sells will play.
The same can be said for movies. Depending on where you buy dvds, the sale and whether they're used, you may actually pay less to buy them then to rent them.

This is also a cheap way to get gifts!

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We cut the cable, the home phone and never go out to dinner or the movies anymore. Also, I look through the sale paper from the grocery store and make up our menus for the week using the items that are on sale. The only thing that we haven't cut back on is the kitties food and treats.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only really have cut back on eating out for dinners. Even if its 7:30pm when we get home, I'll usually cook something now, and he eats leftovers for lunch. We honestly haven't felt a crunch though. It could be because we don't have our mortgage payment until January/February, just car insurance, cell phone, groceries, and gas (Bi-Lo FuelPerks are AWESOME
We currently have 20 cents off per gallon accrued). Eating at home more was more of a healthy choice than a money saving one.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As much as I can--but then again, I'm rarely extravagant, anyway (read, "cheap"). I've been taking lunch to work more; I stay away from eBay, and no longer buy clothes; I have enough. I'm buying fewer books (I hate this). The past year or so, I made a rule that I must buy as much as possible at yard sales, Goodwill, etc., and have been good about it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Wow, what haven't I cut back on???

Changed all the lightbulbs from 60 watts to 40 watts.
Burn lights only when needed.
Moved from the cooler upstairs of the house to the downstairs bedroom where it is warmer.
Turned off the heat pump completely and only use my woodstove to heat the downstairs of the house.
Turned off the heating element in my dishwasher unless I really need to make sure something is sterilized (cat-related food bowls and things mostly)
Do all of my laundry on one day per week instead of one load a day. Wash smaller loads so they don't take so long to dry and hang things out that will take a longer time to dry in the machine
Reduced my cell phone plan from 1200 minutes a month to 500 minutes a month
Reduced my DirectTV plan from having HBO and Cinemax to their economy plan without them
Reduced the features on my home phone
Clip and use coupons
Shop the grocery sales
Enrolled in one of the grocery story Valued Customer programs to get further discounts
Buy store brands as often as is possible
Cook at home more frequently than going out to eat or getting in take out
Switched from my expensive hair care products to Suave (works just as well IMO)
Switched from my expensive skin care products to soap and warm water on a washcloth
Switched the cats from the more expensive clumping litter to a less expensive brand that again, works just as well IMO
Switched my cats from the more expensive food they were eating to a less expensive brand they eat just as readily and do just as well with eating
Stopped buying the expensive flavored bottled water in favor of using my well water and just refilling the old bottles.
Gave up coffee
Gave up sweets (I just don't let myself go into the bakery department at my grocery store anymore)
Buy my clothes at Walmart or Target instead of Kohls or Nordstrom's
Gave up Vickie's Secret underwear (Walmart has just as pretty stuff at far lower a price)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I am sure there is more.
All of the above

I've had to cut back on ALOT!!!!!
More then I've ever wanted to...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yeah, that's true. but we are all pretty much in the same boat. I switched car insurance. Was paying waaaaay too much. Eat out less; cook more often. Hair cuts but not color. I need to find an off-the shelf color solution. Anyone have suggestions of good brands with true color?

Fewer purchases overall. More coupon clipping. Weighing veeeeeery carefully whether or not I need an item. Holidays will be lean.
Pure Henna if you like reddish tone, henna and Indigo for browns and black... there is a long hair site (forum) that gives you all the instruction... DO NOT buy mixed hennas from the stores - you need to go to an india store to be safe... Awesome color, no damage, cheap - Been doing for the last 2 years...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After Mike became so ill, I joined the Gleaners. You volunteer so many hours and then you get points towards food from the farms in the area. We don't eat out any more, no more exotic coffees. No more expensive cuts of meats. Cats eat better than we do. We are a one car home now instead of two. Turned off the jacuzzi, turn off lights, heaters, computers. I now shop at thrift stores and volunteer at one as well.

I have a bad cat virus going in the home now, everyone is sick with URI the vet is working with me in payments to deal with this. I'm scared I am going to lose the one boy in Isolation at the vet, but will still go the extra mile to try and save him. On the cats I don't cut back.