What are signs of pinking up in 9 month old outdoor kittens?

SkyandDomino123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know if one of my kittens is pregnant. we did find nipples that were a lighting pink and the tips had a white look. The cat we think is pregnant her name is Domino and she is usually super active but lately she is super clingy and just wants to lay in the grass and soak up the heat of the sun but she has not left my backyard in a while. I really hope you can help me out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds pregnant, and that’s a shame since she is only 9 months old. Can you get her spayed? How many kittens do you have? They will all be breeding soon and you will have litter after litter before you know it. Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SkyandDomino123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds pregnant, and that’s a shame since she is only 9 months old. Can you get her spayed? How many kittens do you have? They will all be breeding soon and you will have litter after litter before you know it. Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?
I have two kittens. Sky and Domino. We got both from the same litter they are both same gender. We are going to see how the family handles kittens and if we can't care for kittens the way I would like them to be cared for then we are going to get them both spayed. We don't have a low cost spay/neuter in my area.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is your city and state? I will look for a clinic for you.

SkyandDomino123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is your city and state? I will look for a clinic for you.
I found one it is not super close but it is close enough to my house that all is well. The clinic I found is about 15 mins away from my house but that is not a problem. How long do you think it will be until I have new kittens?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should consider having them spayed now. They are still kittens themselves, and if they are outdoor cats, they do not have a safe place to deliver and raise kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just pinking up is at about three weeks. It is a very early stage. You should get them both spayed now, as your other female will also be pregnant soon.

SkyandDomino123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should consider having them spayed now. They are still kittens themselves, and if they are outdoor cats, they do not have a safe place to deliver and raise kittens.
We are planning on bringing her inside soon so she can deliver her kittens safely. Domino also has her own house outside that she has been in a lot more than normal

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good; kittens raised outdoors have a very high mortality rate.

An average sized litter is 4-6 kittens, though they can have more or less. Is your family ready for 8-12 kittens twice a year? Even if you don't want to spay the one who's already pregnant, you might want to get her sister spayed soon before she's pregnant too.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I would just get her spayed, a kitten who has kittens is generally never a good mom. She doesn't always take care of the kittens at all, and some even require a c-section depending on how small they are. In the rescue, I am with we do find that the kitten mom's for sure are not the best of moms, some won't nurse, some won't clean them or will leave them for long hours. It's actually cheaper to spay then to have a litter, a litter of kittens tends to cost triple the amount a spay would.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's very expensive to take care of a litter of kittens. The mother will need extra food, she'll need to be treated for fleas, worms and other parasites if she's been outside, there could be complications during the birth or delivery as she is so young, the kittens will eat a huge amount as they are growing in their first few months of life, they will also need to be vaccinated and then spayed/neutered themselves before they get to five months old.

The last litter of kittens I cared for cost me over $1,000 in food and their first vet visit, before being adopted at four months of age.

If money is an issue it is much wiser to get both cats spayed now.

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – Cat Articles
Post-birth Complications In Cats – Cat Articles
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – Cat Articles

SkyandDomino123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just pinking up is at about three weeks. It is a very early stage. You should get them both spayed now, as your other female will also be pregnant soon.
About how long will it be until the kittens are born because the Domino's nipples are expanding and her abdomen has a lot of different movements when I gently stroke her belly. She is coming inside tomorrow after I get home from work or I will have my oldest bring her inside and make sure she has a nice warm place to have these kittens. Where do you think the best place for Domino to have the kittens? I do have a dog and if anything trys to hurt my cats or chickens she gets really protective she is a small shih tzu beagle mix she is a super good dog and hope she can help protect the new babies as much as possible.