what are siamese really like?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Sicycat

And then I had already made up my mind that I wanted a bottle raised baby because they may make the best cuddlers.
Not always true - I have 3 bottle raised (Scarlett, Muddy and Koko). Scarlett and Muddy are snugglers, but Koko shows affection on her own terms. Sits next to you, but don't try to pick her up or put her in your lap. Bottle raising doesn't quarantee snuggleness.

OK, I'm contributing to the run away thread.....

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to volunteer at a local no-kill shelter. They had a couple of Siamese a couple of years ago. One was a real attention hog and would follow everyone around and talk up a storm.The other was a little more reseved and would come up to you on his own terms. So Siamese can be like almost any other cat. There are exceptions to the breed descriptions.

Sicy - at least go look. It wouldn't hurt.

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi
If you adopt a Siamese, be prepared to keep anything you don't want touched and knocked over out of reach. Make sure all cupboards and drawers and firmly closed and make sure that all areas that you don't want the cat there to be in, make sure they're blocked off-cause my Simba is great at finding those areas. Also, be prepared to give it lots of attention, because my Siamese definitely loves it! He also loves to roughhouse/play hard/keep his territory in check, and I don't know if that's the same with all Siamese, but it certainly is evident with mine, the way he plays and treats his other two female kitty house sisters. Those are the slightly negative aspects of Simba's personality.
On the other hand, I get many compliments whenever everybody comes over because he is such a striking cat. He loves to sniff our guests and rub up against them, inviting them to pet him, very inquisitive he is. He is also very smart. He'll let out a little meow whenever we say his name as to say "Hi." My husband and I have trained him to jump from the ground to touch a stick 4+ feet off the ground. He is very loving towards my husband and me and other people. And he loves to snuggle with me in bed and with his 'kitty-sister' Nala. I'd try to read a couple of books and look at a couple of websites about Siamese before buying one.
But for me, a
Siamese
is worth it.
Anne

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Simba is a lovely boy. Sounds pretty normal for a Siamese, too.

They loooooooooooove attention -- real hams -- we often called our Nibs "the Class Clown". Sharp as a tack, though he'd do anything to keep the dumb ol' humans from discovering that -- play dumb as soon as look at you. For quite a while we actually did think he was a few bricks short of a load, but then one day he let his guard down (don't remember now what the incident was), and we looked at each other and at him, and said "Dumb, eh? Thought you had us fooled, eh? Well, no more!"

Our kitty count is where we like it at the moment, so we're not looking for any additions, but sometime down the road, I know there'll be another Siamese in our lives!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Loubelia, Simba sounds like a troublemaker lol!

rapunzel47, Nibs sounds too smart for his own good.

Since I am probably going to go to a rescue I can ask about some of the traits of their foster kittys. I kind of have an idea about their personalities now. So far it sounds like something i can live with, except the knocking of things off of shelves. I have a ledge that runs the entire length of the living room that is filled with stuff!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Siamese have never been one's for knocking things down. I mean any cat will knock things down if they climb & maybe one of two times they've knocked something down, and my Rainbow bridge Persian was worse for knocking things on the floor than my Siamese. However I do agree, Siamese want and demand a lot of attention, but to me, that's a good thing.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a 1/2 Siamese cat when I was a child. . . . he was extremely affectionate & vocal! He cried like a baby.

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
rfox: LOL< to some people, Sim-bee would be a troublemaker, But his good qualities outweigh the 'urk-some' ones, hehe
Believe me, once you adopt one and raise/grow to love a Siamese or any cat/kitten for that matter, you'll get mad at it for a little while, but the Love for it will prevail.
P.S. rupunzel47: Simba says "Meow" (aka Thankyou) for the compliment!