what are safe over-the-counter remedies for cats with diaherrea?

janded

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks, Agnes and i need your advice. Agnes is a nine year old female feline who we adopted 1 year ago. She has had perfect health until 6 weeks ago when she started having diaherrea in her litter box and in places that aren't so easy to clean up. 5 days ago i took her to the local vet and she ran a few blood tests, dewormed her, and gave me Flagyl to give her for 10 days. I have Agnes confined to our bathroom, much to her dismay and ours. I give her the pills but have seen no changes in her stool yet. My fear is having to return to the vet and spend more money on tests which seem to get us no where but in debt. Two years ago i had 2 kittens aged 6 months who had terrible diaherrea. $600 later the old vet told us to try ImmodiumAD as a last resort and it worked. This new vet (who replaced the old one) said Immodium increases the heart rate and can cause a heart problem. I understand that these new vets don't want to get sued, but how do they expect people to take in unwanted animals if they aren't willing to cooperate with their patients? Most of all, i just want to know if there is an alternative way of getting her better so we can all have a happy holiday. Also, i can't remember the amount per pound that was okay to give a cat and no one advises me to try it. Thanks in advance. Janet and Agnes

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
pumpkin ... the kind without anything added

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they do a stool test? There are micro-organisms like giardia that can cause diarhea and need anti-biotics. There is another one that can only be detected within an hour of the stool sample given (must be fresh) because it dies almost immediately (can't remember exactly which one it is).

I don't know what else though except I have heard of people giving their cats immodium and it worked well, but I don't know the dosage. Is it diet related? Maybe shes becoming intolerant of something she's eating?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
there's a otc treatment called bene bac that can be helpful in re-populating the digestive tract with helpful bacteria. i needed to give that to Java after her double round of antibiotics before she was completely well - you can get it here.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem with the diarrhea is that it dehydrates your cat quickly. Once your kitten or cat is in dehydration, their health is at great risk. Using over-the-counter medications is risky UNLESS your vet instructs you how to use what product and when. PLEASE do not take any advice left on forums that tells you to use a product made for humans on your cat. Many of the products once used for diarrhea have had their formulas changed and are no longer safe, or something like a simple stomach remedy has aspirin in it which can be toxic to the cat.

Your best bet is to stay with your vet, monitor your cat so that dehydration does not set in, and if it does get the cat to the vet quickly for subcu fluids.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling, but pure pumpkin) is excellent as a stool regulator (it also works to loosen up constipation). Just a little bit of pumpkin goes a long way
Another great thing for diarreah is Slippery Elm which can be turned in to a paste or mixed in with the food.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Liza- your advice was deleted because it could prove unsafe for cats and kittens.

The medicine you are talking about available over the counter contains salicylates which can be fatal to cats.

Although able to be used successfully in dogs, this product should never be used on cats. If your cat didn't experience problems when dosed, you were lucky, or you did this only under a vet's advice which is the only way it should be used.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i did it under a vets advice. they told it was was ok to do. They told me in the dose i said, that it was OK for cats ( .5 cc mixed with 1cc of water)

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Did they do a stool test? There are micro-organisms like giardia that can cause diarhea and need anti-biotics. There is another one that can only be detected within an hour of the stool sample given (must be fresh) because it dies almost immediately (can't remember exactly which one it is).
Yes I agree w/ this very much....Giardia, coccidia, and whipworm can all cause diarreah...so before you try anything you may want to consult a vet first on what is causing it specifically.....

I just read you did see the vet...Must have scanned over that part....in that case if the flagyl isnt working then something is up as Flagyl will stop all diarreah no matter the cause...

I reccomend a second vet visit and maybe even a second opinion......

Make sure to keep you kit hydrated....

And I hope all is well soon

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

i did it under a vets advice. they told it was was ok to do. They told me in the dose i said, that it was OK for cats ( .5 cc mixed with 1cc of water)
That is fine, used under a vet's care is the only way to do it. But putting the product name here and just saying it is okay to use for cats could result in a tragedy. It has to be used- as should any over- the-counter medication with only a vet's approval.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janded

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to thank you people with all my heart. I really didn't expect such quick replies. I have to continue with the Flagyl for Agnes for 6 more days. She does drink water, grooms, and plays. Everything is the same with her except for the loose poops. Our vet reccomends Iams dry food and that's what all my critter kids get and they seem to like it. I'll keep you all posted and I'm saving all your ideas. I like the Slippery Elm, i've had to use it myself. Also, she did have stool tests done and the Doc explained that not all viruses and/or worms will show up under the microscope. I will keep working with the vet, but i believe in getting opinions from people who may have had this same problem. Again, THANK YOU. Janet and Agnes

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could consult another vet. I was treated with Flagyl when I tested positive for giardia, and the Flagyl caused acute symptoms similar to Agnes' - it took my Rite-Aid pharmacist to see the alert, call my folks & recommend switching to atabrine, which stopped my symptoms, from both the giardia and the Flagyl. IF Agnes does have some kind of parasitic infection, it will be very important that she receive a complete treatment; dogs can transfer giardia to humans, not sure if cats can, but I wouldn't want to take a chance. Plus, giardia can recur, esp. during times of stress.
The holistic ideas sound like good ones, though; yesterday, my vet recommended the same OTC product that Liza suggested, but I was reluctant to try it - I added some boiled rice and some unflavored store-brand pediatric electrolyte replacer, and today her stools are much better. {{{Prayers and vibes}}} for Agnes' speedy recovery!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only OTC medicine that I would consider safe to use without a vet's supervision is Pet Pectillin. However, I've never found it effective and the dose is HUGE (1 cc per 2 lbs of body weight - that's 5 cc's for a 10 lb cat!).

Flagyl can work very well. Other meds that might work are Carafate, amoxicillin, and Bene Bac. A broad spectrum dewormer like Drontal or Panacur would also be a good idea just in case she does have parasites of some sort.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not medicate your cat with anything without your vet's knowledge. Those of you who keep recommending what to use, please cease and desist. It is dangerous to recommend anything without a vet's okay. It is is indicative of the health of the cat in question, the weight, the lifestyle. Please don't put these types of statements on the board recommending wormers and such. Not even vets who have been here visiting from time to time will online prescribe treatments and medicines. They could lose their license.

it is admirable that you care- but let me tell you a quick true story. Last year on the forums someone posted their kitten was quite ill. The thread was long and one poster mentioned an over-the counter wormer to use, and the original poster used it. The thread dropped off the board and about a week later, I received an email from the original poster that tore open my heart. The young cat was wormed with the wormer (which turned out to be same type of wormer I occassionally give my horse!) The poor cat went into toxic shock, foamed at the mouth and while being rushed to the vet died in the member's arms.

So please stop giving such advice unless you preface it with check with your vet first. How horrible would you feel if you found out your advice lead to the death of a cat or a kitten? So think before you post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janded

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, after 4 months of different diets, antibiotics, and expensive trips to the vet, Agnes still has loose poops. She did improve recently when the vet gave her an injection of steroids, but that lowered her immune system and gave her a cold. She did have 2 weeks of normal bowel movements though. We are just taking it one day at a time. She likes the food from the vet(id),and we may take her back in for another shot of steroids after her cold is over. The only other alternative, according to the vet, is a biopsy of her intestines. Not only do i not want to subject her to surgery, but we don't have the money. And it still could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which if she continues with the id food, should clear it up in another month. In the mean time Agnes has been the little trooper and still loves to play and cuddle. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update. What a struggle you and poor wee Agnes have had. Hoping this new round of treatment will work for you.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say good luck and good for you in continuing to work with your vet and get Agnes better. I hope that the diarrhea ceases and she is back to normal very soon.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

my VET RECOMMENDS VERY TINY PIECE OF A PEPTO BISMAL TABLET. BREAK IT INTO 6-8 PEICES. WORKS GREAT
Although you say your vet recommends this, it is better for the poster to get information from her own vet since her own vet is the only one that can actually SEE the cat and knows the test results of her cat.