What are "good" cat foods?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I know if the food I`m feeding my cats is a "good" one? Usually I buy Purina or Iams brands in dry (which is what they eat the most of) but also have bought Little Friskies and Meow Mix when they get bored.
They do like a bit of canned also, as a treat.....My "boys" are almost a year old, and they each get 1/4 of a can of canned (same brands) in the AM and again in the PM.
I`ve tried giving them bits of raw meat from time to time when I am getting ready to fix our supper...but neither of them seem very intrested in it. (NOPE I could`nt hardly believe it either...although they were BOTh intrested in a mouse they found in the house a few weeks ago....HOW EXCITING!) Oh..and by the way...in case another one is stupid enough to find it`s way into my house again ...is it safe to let the "boys" catch and eat it???
Thanks for any info you all can give!

rinadaventry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say no to the cats eating a wild mouse. Since they're indoors their immune system probably isn't as good as a barn cat or pet that has been trapping food for ages. Besides, it'd probably be pretty nasty in the house.
I haven't had my cats long but I've been feeding them both natural choice, and have heard nothing but bad things about the other foods you mentioned. It seems the rule of thumb is that if you can buy it at walmart, its not a good food. Natural choice is expensive but worth the money because they eat less, are healthier, and their poo smells less horrid than when I let them have the cheap food.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to list off a bunch of brand reccomendations, as I feel it's much better for you to learn WHY certain foods are better than others, instead of just following some reccomendation. You'll feel much better and more confident about changing their diet, if you've studied and chosen the food yourself

The big thing to remember is that cats are obligate carnivores. Therefore, their diet should consist of mainly protein (from meat sources) not carbohydrates. Look for foods with whole meats or named meat meals as the first ingredient(s), and steer clear of foods with by-products, corn, wheat, etc.

Here are some sites about nutrition that explain it much better than I ever could

http://www.api4animals.org/689.htm
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/tipsforchoosing.htm
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/reading_labels.htm

Happy reading

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

Nutro, Eukanuba, Proplan are all superior cat foods!!!
We don't seem to get Nutro or proplan over here

My vet gave me some Intestinal Eukenuba for Max after he had diarrhea for a couple of weeks due to worms, and the list of ingrediants didn't seem that great (lots of meal, and maize, and very little that actually sounded like anything except by products!) I've avoided the brand because of that, but are the normal Eukenuba types better?

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally am against ANY food that has animal by-products in it. What that means is your animal is not getting the best that it could be getting IMO. Now that said, I really do like Purina One and feed it to my outside cats. My inside cats get Natural Balance. I highly recommend them.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

How do I know if the food I`m feeding my cats is a "good" one? Usually I buy Purina or Iams brands in dry (which is what they eat the most of) but also have bought Little Friskies and Meow Mix when they get bored.
They do like a bit of canned also, as a treat.....My "boys" are almost a year old, and they each get 1/4 of a can of canned (same brands) in the AM and again in the PM.
I`ve tried giving them bits of raw meat from time to time when I am getting ready to fix our supper...but neither of them seem very intrested in it. (NOPE I could`nt hardly believe it either...although they were BOTh intrested in a mouse they found in the house a few weeks ago....HOW EXCITING!) Oh..and by the way...in case another one is stupid enough to find it`s way into my house again ...is it safe to let the "boys" catch and eat it???
Thanks for any info you all can give!
Honestly, you'll get a lot more information if you do a search using "recommended cat foods"

But in the short term - look for foods that do NOT use the following: Ethoxyquin, BHA/BHT as preservatives, corn gluten meal as the first ingredients (it's a protein source, and I'm eh ok with its inclusion in small amounts, not as the main/or only protein source), multiple carb sources in one formula - i.e. contains wheat and soy flower and corn, cracked, ground or whole corn, by-products, by-product meal, animal digest, artificial flavorings or colorings, any sugars - NO need for molasses etc. cats do not have the taste buds to taste sweet. No onion (believe or not there is a major grocery store brand using onion salt in it's canned food last time I looked a few months ago), and my personal preference is to not feed garlic, I can give you links to the articles that helped me make that decision, so you can decide for yourself.

Cats are obligate carnivores, they need a high protein diet, they do not need carbs. The most natural diet for them will be a wet food diet - homemade or raw but raw requires education on how to supplement it, how to handle and prepare the meat.

Mice - any mouse breaking in, I'd be afraid has been elsewhere ingesting mouse poison, that alone would be why I'd not want my cat eating what may be a "loaded" mouse...ugh!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heres a short list of what I like for kitty foods:
Natural choice
Natural balence the venison one
Felidea
Premium edge
Evo( didnt work for me ymmv)
Feline cavier
this is not a complete list just the ones off the top that are good to exceptional that I have used or use now
I like one meat to one grain... ie if chn meal is the first ingrediant it should be followed by rice ... but the rice shouldnt be followed by wheat , barley etc..

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natural Balance is an excellent food.
I reccommend being generous with the canned Natural Balance and feeding small portions of the dry because Natural Balance is a very rich food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Natural Balance is an excellent food.
I reccommend being generous with the canned Natural Balance and feeding small portions of the dry because Natural Balance is a very rich food.
rich it is ... lol... i forgot that is a dry list the wet food list is ten miles long at my house ...lol..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the input....with your person favorite foods for your cats...plus the reading material sights...I will be reading up so that my cats will be the healthiest they can be and live a long, looooong time with us!
This is a great sight.
PS I did`nt let the cats eat the mouse...but they did play with it for awhile. It was rather DANGEROUS getting it away from them! While they are not agressive cats usually....they WANTED TO KEEP the mouse....and 2 full grown cats with claws are somthing to be careful with when stealing their prey away!

luvmy4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let the cats eat mice if I were you (because they can get tapeworms from eating them).

shrimplover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with some of the brands listed here...

I'm going to check them OUT!

We are really Iams folks...eukanuba kibble.

About 10 years ago I was working on essential fatty acid supplementation for people (my son has ADHD and was able to get off his Ritalin when I gave him these oils)...another long story...

So one day I was at Barlean's Flaxoil site, and there was an autolink to Iams.
Those were my beginning computer days... I loved links...LOL

So I went there. I was just the beginning of Eukanuba introduction, and the
vet papers on omega-3s were substantial. At the time shrimpoholic Sheba (who was shrimp-free then) had terrible cat acne/sores on her face. We were using Science Diet then.

Well lo and behold, CORN was the first ingredient.. I just trusted Science Diet as the best--the vet said so... I never thought...oh well. As soon as I changed to Eukanuba...bingo... no more cat acne. So from then on that has been it for us. We use regular Iams when I can't get to the store, and we have tried Nutro.. as well. Both work for us too.

The minor illnesses, which plagued all of our cats, are gone, since using the Eukanuba.

I have found over the years that cats tell you what they want, in addition.
Some like chicken, or raw beef (sirloin) and of course SHRIMP!! I tend to give into these requests in moderation. Since FOOD is a huge issue for pets..I think it is the high point of their day and they look to US for pleasure/trust.

Great thread.. I will look at these suggested products. Maybe our girls are getting BORED? LOL

Best wishes,
ShrimpLover

icehouse'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I found Icehouse, I had no idea what brand the previous owner fed him so I quickly went out & bought him a bag of a brand called Maxxium. It was almost closing time so I didn't have much time to read all the labels to compare. I bought Maxxium because it contained Taurine and the others didn't. I had heard many times from others in a different forum that Science Diet, Iams & Eukanuba werenot recommended so I quickly decided on this. As soon as Icehouse started eating this new food, he started scratching in the same two spots. At first I thought it was fleas but never found one so I still gave him a dose of Frontline. Then he started licking those same spots & wouldnot stop. He developed bald spots. I also noticed large goosebump like spots on his chest & throat area. It then occured to me to reread the food label. To my surprise it contained Corn meal as the main ingredient. It was then that I went on a search for the best cat food. I feed Natura California Natural for my Westie so I wanted something similiar in quality for the cat. It was then that I found Nutro & found it similar in quality to the Natura brand but was a little cheaper & when I registered the company sent me $20 in coupons plus I'm enrolled in the buy 10 bags & get one free. I have been travelling 25 miles to my local PetsSuppliesPlus pet store to buy it but recently found that the Tractor Supply Store also carries the Nutro brands. The only downside is that they don't value the buy 10 get one free. I can also count on the pet store to have sales on either the Nutro Max Cat or the Nutro Natural Complete Care. I have to say, that when I came home with the first bag of Nutro, Icehouse came running as soon as I opened the bag. Then he gobbled down all I gave him to try. In a week he had stopped itching & scratching & his fur quickly grew in. He hasn't been better. I also noticed he eats less now (1 cup a day) & poops less. I haven't had to give him any hairball medicine either since he's been on the Nutro brand. I switch monthly between the Max Cat & the NCC only because he likes to switch flavor & because either or is always on sale when I go buy the food.

Sorry for making this long. Here is a link to both the Natura & Nutro Brands. They both contain a lot of food facts & definitions that would help you get a better educated decision. The Natura even has a food comparison chart for you to compare other brands to, I found that helpful.
http://www.nutroproducts.com/
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...wiz&animal=Cat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO Iams or Science Diet are the best for your cat overall. Most cats have eating problems or allergic reactions (to the red dyes) from the other brands - especially Meow Mix!. I don't like Purina.

My rexes (and other cats) were raised on Iams from kittens - its the best I've found for health, coat, etc.

Also another very good brand is Costco's Kirkland Maintence cat food. But that's a 20 lb bag and if you only have one or two cats to feed its a lot of food

icehouse'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I was once told that MANY vets always recommend a certain named brand, which I can't recall exactly which one so I won't mention any names yet. It seems this company sponsors & pays for an annual veterinarians convention attendees travel & lodging expenses so thats why those vets will recommend that brand over all wether its the best brand or not.

shrimplover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this is a big factor for cats..

It was for us! Any kitty with a coat /lesion problem, should consider corn allergy or intolerance!!!

I just checked our bag of Salmon Eukanuba.. it says not less than .16% taurine.

I think taurine is not ADDED because it is present in the protein sources listed
in ingredients. So it does not have a separate listing as an ADDed ingredient.
That is my take on the label.

I like Eukanuba because the omega-3 to 6 ratio is maintained for cats.
Products with Corn as first ingredient are lower in protein, etc.

Just my opinion, of course.

SL