What apartment would you get?

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I choose by whichever place has better kitty-cat windows/nature action.

Really, that is the question

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i'm not big into fireplaces, so i'd probably get the larger one w/o the fireplace.
but the cats will be happy regardless of which one you choose, as long as they have cat trees & you.

ETA: didn't realize the smaller one had wood floors - i prefer hard surface floors [i have wall-to-wall vinyl
] so i'd go w/that one, instead. especially since it's on top - i disliked ground floor apartments because of that [even tho that's all i lived in when i was an apartment dweller
].

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with the wood floors.

I have wooden floors, very easy to keep clean (I just use Vinegar & water), ours hasn't been scratched and my cats run alot.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a multi-story complex....
you want the top floor.
There is nothing better than having no one over your head and a view.

You can add to your space by using vertical cat trees.

It sounds like a great place.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been away for a while, so I'm not sure about new faces and new cats

You do mention cats, rather than cat, though - so I would say, if you have more than two cats, count the number of doors.

If there is a tiff, or they're annoying each other (or you) etc, you will want to be able to seperate them easily.

If it's two cats - the penthouse sounds better on balance to me.

We have a mix of carpet and wood floors here, and the cats enjoy them both - wood is racier, and better for cat soccer, but carpet allows for easy claw sharpening and horizontal climbing. Wood is generally easier to clean though, and the fireplace will likely be popular (though it may be more expensive to use than you think).

On a security note, a ground floor apartment is a worry (even if only a theorical one). They do make better targets for theives (et. al), and if the glass is at all breakable, you may end up fearful that vandalism/attempted buglary could end up hurting your cats. You can judge that one better than me, of course. But it's a peace of mind question, and worth thinking about before you lay down a down payment.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The penthouse with a fireplace would be my choice!! I personally love our fireplace and so does our cats, Pooh Bear and ManCake love to lay on the tile in front of it because it is nice and warm
. Unfortunately here in Fresno....we have very bad air so we can only light up fires on "burn days" which often only happen on the days after a rain storm when the air is clear
But we used the FP about 20-30 times this winter. We have laminent wood floors with 5 cats and a dog lmao, poor dog still hasnt realized that if you run fast, you slam into wall, she has done it a hundred times i swear! Good Luck with your decision and let us know!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The apartment with someone above you will be easier to heat. It's like 10 feet of insulation in your roof!

Also, unless you declaw them or keep their claws clipped religiously, the cats can damage those wood floors. And the wood floors are colder.

Obviously, this is why they still make both Fords and Chevys.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a big fan of fireplaces (had a couple of apartments with them, rarely used the fireplace). BUT if you found a pet friendly apartment with hardwoods, I would take that in a second!
We weren't able to get hardwood floors until we bought a house -- we found hardwood floors under the carpet.
My house is so much cleaner now. I never want carpet again. When the cats barf, I just wipe it up. Now we loan out our carpet cleaners to friends/family instead.
In between vacuuming sometimes I just sweep or use a swiffer dry.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to have hardwood floors. We have a mixture between carpet and tile and the tile is SO much easier to keep clean. No matter how often I vacuum, I always, always feel like the carpet is dirty. Every time I sweep, more dust and cat hair comes out. I would love to have hardwoods! I would rugs that I could take to the laundromat and wash in the big washers!

Plus, I love being upstairs. I hate hearing people stomping around on my roof! I would much rather be the stomper.

Good luck! Let us know what you choose!