What Ancient Traditions Have Your Cats Created?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 438946 My job around 3PM (in winter) is to keep moving Zorro around so he is eking out the last rays of the warm setting sun. …theese are the very last hairs twinkling before the sun sets. And then I tuck him into bed.
That is so adorable. Just looking at his tummy pooch and innocent face is making me smile.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not emails but he did paw-dial a text to a friend of mine. :lol:
My RB kitty Swanie used to send chat messages when I was chatting with my sister.

Cricket has a lot of traditions, like leading me where she wants me to go. For example, she'll start walking down the hallway toward the bonus room, and turn around to make sure I'm following her. Then I have to sit in the chair while she explores, open closet doors for her, etc. If it's her supper time, it's even more interesting. She'll sit somewhere, I put the dish in front of her. She'll eat a bit, then go explore, then sit somewhere. I move the bowl to her. We do this several times. I tell her it's a good thing I love her, because she such a diva. Or she'll come out to meet me when I'm coming up the stairs and lead me into the bedroom, where she'll get up on the bed for our daily "brush and purr" session (I brush, she purrs). She'll do this when I'm doing my evening chores before getting into bed to watch a little TV. If I'm moving around in the bedroom, she'll come flying in and jump up on the bed.
When Austin wants food, he'll stand in the dining room just where the door is to the kitchen and meow his high pitched meow while flicking his ears back (each time he meows, his ears go back). That is what I call the food prep area, because I keep their food and bowls out here, so I know exactly what he wants. He also has a high pitched meow he uses when he's up to something he shouldn't be. When I hear it, I know I better go check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 438946 My job around 3PM (in winter) is to keep moving Zorro around so he is eking out the last rays of the warm setting sun. …theese are the very last hairs twinkling before the sun sets. And then I tuck him into bed.
And is Zorro Seriously Displeased if you fail in your duty? :nono::lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB kitty Swanie used to send chat messages when I was chatting with my sister.

Cricket has a lot of traditions, like leading me where she wants me to go. For example, she'll start walking down the hallway toward the bonus room, and turn around to make sure I'm following her. Then I have to sit in the chair while she explores, open closet doors for her, etc. If it's her supper time, it's even more interesting. She'll sit somewhere, I put the dish in front of her. She'll eat a bit, then go explore, then sit somewhere. I move the bowl to her. We do this several times. I tell her it's a good thing I love her, because she such a diva. Or she'll come out to meet me when I'm coming up the stairs and lead me into the bedroom, where she'll get up on the bed for our daily "brush and purr" session (I brush, she purrs). She'll do this when I'm doing my evening chores before getting into bed to watch a little TV. If I'm moving around in the bedroom, she'll come flying in and jump up on the bed.
When Austin wants food, he'll stand in the dining room just where the door is to the kitchen and meow his high pitched meow while flicking his ears back (each time he meows, his ears go back). That is what I call the food prep area, because I keep their food and bowls out here, so I know exactly what he wants. He also has a high pitched meow he uses when he's up to something he shouldn't be. When I hear it, I know I better go check.
Omigosh, what purrfect illustrations of “dogs have owners, cats have staff” - I love it! :flail:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chasing ice cubes. It's impossible to run the ice maker on the fridge silently, so here they come. :blush: The game is pretty simple -you throw the ice down the hall and they chase it. Elsie started the tradition, then thought she was too dignified to play. Now Sally and Bree have taken it up and Elsie is back to the chase again. Lil Gray also likes to play. Her hunting skills are so finally tuned that she has about 100% accuracy in catching an ice cube as it zips by.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chasing ice cubes. It's impossible to run the ice maker on the fridge silently, so here they come. :blush: The game is pretty simple -you throw the ice down the hall and they chase it. Elsie started the tradition, then thought she was too dignified to play. Now Sally and Bree have taken it up and Elsie is back to the chase again. Lil Gray also likes to play. Her hunting skills are so finally tuned that she has about 100% accuracy in catching an ice cube as it zips by.
I love it! Do you have a lot of mopping up to do afterward?

scoutthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I love playing videogames and have my little corner for it. I'll make coffee and start up my system to start playing and my cat has made it so he will sleep right next to my chair on a soft chair with a blanket over it. If I stay up to late he has realized that I don't like getting smacked in the head from behind with his paws but realizes that I'll go to bed and take him with me. Violent little tradition he has but he means we'll and doesn't hurt me. <3

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I love playing videogames and have my little corner for it. I'll make coffee and start up my system to start playing and my cat has made it so he will sleep right next to my chair on a soft chair with a blanket over it. If I stay up to late he has realized that I don't like getting smacked in the head from behind with his paws but realizes that I'll go to bed and take him with me. Violent little tradition he has but he means we'll and doesn't hurt me. <3
Scout knows who’s the boss! :flail:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's Juno engaged in the ancient right of the ringing of the chimes. This is how she wakes me up on the morning, and also how she reminds me it's time for a meal.
View attachment 439001
Love it! Does she also ring them a trifle earlier when she’s impatient?

I can see her doing the town crier act with a hand bell ... Oyez oyez!

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love it! Does she also ring them a trifle earlier when she’s impatient?

I can see her doing the town crier act with a hand bell ... Oyez oyez!
She does! I have stopped even setting an alarm these days because the chimes are my alarm. I try to ignore when she rings them 30 minutes early, so she's usually pretty good about sticking to 7am.

I got the statue before I adopted her and it took her a month or two as a kitten to figure out how to use them to control me. It tickles me that it's a statue of *cattails*.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does! I have stopped even setting an alarm these days because the chimes are my alarm. I try to ignore when she rings them 30 minutes early, so she's usually pretty good about sticking to 7am.

I got the statue before I adopted her and it took her a month or two as a kitten to figure out how to use them to control me. It tickles me that it's a statue of *cattails*.
Oh my, never another moment’s peace! :lol: