What Ancient Traditions Have Your Cats Created?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the last few weeks I’ve taken to spending the day in my bedroom, because my bed’s more comfortable than my lounge chair. Daisy and Phoebe fully approve of this (it’s their human providing warms, after all) to the point where Daisy now comes out and complains if I’m not in there. When I’m sitting in the lounge in the morning while giving Mum her medications and breakfast, Daisy’s on my lap, head-butting me and generally getting in the way, then going and looking meaningfully at my bed. I called it her tradition the other day and remembered that previous cats have had their traditions - and it only takes about three times for something to become a tradition whose origins are lost in the mists of time. :lol:

So, what are your kitties’ ancient traditions?

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves coming to me when I am drinking my morning coffee, sits on my lap and loves it when I give her the "warm coffee mug therapy." I run the bottom of a warm coffee mug along her spine and she just purrs away happily. She loves this morning ritual we have. I make sure that the coffee mug is never too warm. She gets annoyed with me the mornings I am in a rush and this morning ritual has been skipped. The next morning I give her extra attention and she is back to her happy self..:purr:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Every morning, I have coffee and get on my computer, and Ozzy jumps up on my lap. He is NOT happy if my laptop computer is actually on my lap and there's no room for him, so I put the computer on the arm of the chair and sit twisted to one side so Mr. Oz can be in his rightful place. :lol:

IMG_8790.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every morning, I have coffee and get on my computer, and Ozzy jumps up on my lap. He is NOT happy if my laptop computer is actually on my lap and there's no room for him, so I put the computer on the arm of the chair and sit twisted to one side so Mr. Oz can be in his rightful place. :lol:

View attachment 438847
Has Ozzy managed to write emails by doing that? My late Katie did a few times when I had a desktop. Now I just use a tablet they both sit on it and completely block the view. :lol:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it! That coffee cup ritual sounds adorable. No wonder she’s irked when you have to skip it.
Glad you enjoyed hearing about the coffee cup ritual. Cats are very much creatures of comfort. I need coffee to get through the day and she need her little warm coffee cup massage. It's a win-win. :redheartpump:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Has Ozzy managed to write emails by doing that? My late Katie did a few times when I had a desktop. Now I just use a tablet they both sit on it and completely block the view. :lol:
Not emails but he did paw-dial a text to a friend of mine. :lol:

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jumping into the hallway/bathroom closet to lay on the towels whenever I open the door.

Usually I remember to check for a cat on the towel shelf before I close the door again.

Once I opened the closet in the middle of the night and forgot to check for him before closing it. He spent most of the night in there happily sleeping on the towels before jumping down and letting himself out (it’s a small folding-style door so he was able to push it open from inside - it probably got knocked partway open when he jumped down).

I heard him when he let himself out in the morning, but since it lasted less than 20 seconds I just went back to sleep and assumed he had tried to open the closet from the outside. (He likes opening things, but that door doesn’t glide smoothly enough to pull with a paw under the door. Doesn’t stop him from trying though.) It wasn’t until I got up and found the open door, slept-on towels, and a cat that looked incredibly pleased with himself that I realized what had happened.

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Elsa has her morning routine. She climbs up the tree so I can pet her and give her enough love that she won't complain when I brush her teeth. :flail:Its the only way I could get us into the dental routine. Now she runs to the tree as soon as I get out of bed.

The other thing they do that drives me crazy is they wait for me right in front of my door. In a spot where the door will bump them when I open it. Usually, I remember, but sometimes I get home so tired that I forget they are there. Elsa stopped hanging out near the door, but Kitty is determined to follow through on this quest.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if I take a bath he likes to meow at me to warn me that I’m getting a bath.

He’s not concerned at all when I take a shower, but no bath is complete without the feline bath-alert system.
I don’t have a bathtub, but Daisy makes sure she supurrvises my showers from on top of the laundry basket.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Elsa has her morning routine. She climbs up the tree so I can pet her and give her enough love that she won't complain when I brush her teeth. :flail:Its the only way I could get us into the dental routine. Now she runs to the tree as soon as I get out of bed.

The other thing they do that drives me crazy is they wait for me right in front of my door. In a spot where the door will bump them when I open it. Usually, I remember, but sometimes I get home so tired that I forget they are there. Elsa stopped hanging out near the door, but Kitty is determined to follow through on this quest.
Oh, yes, the little noses right in the door as it opens!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie gets in his bed if I’m running late for bed. Lately he has started snuggling me under the blankets and demanding attention as I fall asleep.

Everg night at 8 or 9 it is binkie time. Jackie insists I get the blanket/binkie drape it over my chest/belly/arm and he nurses on his binkie in a zen like peace as I very lightly slowly pet his head/neck/shoulders. If I don’t pet him once he finds the right fold to nurse on, he gets annoyed.🤣

Why Jackie is extra spoiled:
320AE040-25ED-4F93-B0C8-6A91E20634CF.jpeg

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie gets in his bed if I’m running late for bed. Lately he has started snuggling me under the blankets and demanding attention as I fall asleep.

Everg night at 8 or 9 it is binkie time. Jackie insists I get the blanket/binkie drape it over my chest/belly/arm and he nurses on his binkie in a zen like peace as I very lightly slowly pet his head/neck/shoulders. If I don’t pet him once he finds the right fold to nurse on, he gets annoyed.🤣

Why Jackie is extra spoiled:
View attachment 438943
This is it, the traditions we are required to uphold! Daisy gets persnickety if she doesn’t get a nighttime snuggle, too (and is trying to develop a tradition of being the one who decides when it’s lights out, I think).