What am I allergic to if not cats?

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I have had mild allergy symptoms on and off all my life, and then finally a few years ago I was tested and the test showed I was allergic to dust mites. That was just a basic test for the most common allergens, but cat allergen was included and it showed I was not allergic to cats. Last year I moved to a new place, didn't get carpets and curtains, got furniture without upholstering and a new mattress for bed, and for over a year I was completely allergy-free. Right until I got cats. (I had lived with a cat in my parents home for 6 years, so it wasn't my first contact with felines.)

As soon as I walked to them (they were a mother cat and three tiny kittens) and leaned over to watch them, my nose would get runny and sneezing would start. When they got older I gave them baths (in case that dust and dirt stuck to their fur - though I clean and vacuum my home religiously), sprayed them with Frontline (I thought maybe they had mites in their fur and I read that Frontline would help), and nothing helped. It actually got so bad that I developed asthma. I had never had such violent symptoms, although I had spent most of my life in a home full of old carpets, woolen blankets and dusty old books! My doctor is perplexed, and doesn't know what allergens to test me for. They are indoor only cats so it can't be something they got from the outside, and my symptoms subside when I go out anyway so I think my problem is inside my home. What allergens do cats carry other than that protein that causes cat allergy?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may be developing other allergies. I never had allergies (except to cats
). I noticed symptoms kept getting worse and worse, and I developed asthma. I went and got allergy tested five years after getting cats. I tested allergic to everything for which I was tested (40 things).

My mom developed allergies in her 30s, and the number of things went up with time, and then some foods got added to the list.

I'd go get allergy tested again.

And if you are allergic to your cats, I have HEAPS of tips for dealing with it.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always had asthma, and I'm allergic to everything including cats. I do have allergy meds, but I haven't had any allergy shots. I was fine with
Lynxx
who was a short hair. When Luna and Midnight came here (they are both long hair) my allergies did get worse. I don't know if it was because of them or not. but after a few weeks I had no problems being around them. Sometimes with me, if I'm around something long enough, I become less allergic to it (except my cousin's dogs.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I tested allergic to everything for which I was tested (40 things).
Oh dear, that sounds like my last allergy test which my doctor discarded! It was the prick test so she said it was impossible to be allergic to everything (even saline!) and that probably my skin was too sensitive and that I needed the blood allergy test. I will probably have it done in a month but I kinda doubt that they will be able to detect the culprit, unless I suddenly became allergic to cats! Everything stops when I leave home, I have no problems when I stay at my friends' and grandparents', so I can only point to my new furry roommates.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Could you have developed any type of mold or mildew in your house? That's a very common allergy.

When did you get these cats and when did your symptoms start? My allergies start getting worse in the fall when we start closing the windows and I am "trapped" with the dust and cat dander.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by def kitty

Oh dear, that sounds like my last allergy test which my doctor discarded! It was the prick test so she said it was impossible to be allergic to everything (even saline!) and that probably my skin was too sensitive and that I needed the blood allergy test. I will probably have it done in a month but I kinda doubt that they will be able to detect the culprit, unless I suddenly became allergic to cats! Everything stops when I leave home, I have no problems when I stay at my friends' and grandparents', so I can only point to my new furry roommates.
I wasn't tested for saline.
My immunologist said he'd had 11 patients in 12 years of practice test positive for everything. I really must be - I have to wear a mask outside if I mow the lawn or rake leaves or something, and when I shower after that, my body is ON FIRE when I shower and I itch EVERYWHERE something fierce for up to an hour and I just want to rip off my skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

def kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Could you have developed any type of mold or mildew in your house? That's a very common allergy.

When did you get these cats and when did your symptoms start? My allergies start getting worse in the fall when we start closing the windows and I am "trapped" with the dust and cat dander.
Yes, I did notice mold a month or so ago, actually! It must have been there for a while but a month ago it spread enough for me to notice it. I am wondering if that could be it, especially because it was hidden between the wall and the side of the closet, and the kitties slept in the closet so when I played with them and got a runny nose, it is possible that mold spores were the culprit. I got kitties on August 1st and allergies started immediately, but I guess it's possible that I just didn't spend so much time around the closet before. I will make sure to mention that to the doctor!

The closet was nailed to the floor and walls so now I have no way to move it, why didn't I think about it sooner!

Originally Posted by LDG

There are certainly ways to deal with the allergy to cats: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225556
Yay, some great stuff there! Furminator has been on my to-buy list for a while, good to see it really helps!

Originally Posted by LDG

I wasn't tested for saline.
Haha yes, they threw that in just to make sure the test is reliable I guess, no person on Earth should be allergic to it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

when I shower after that, my body is ON FIRE when I shower and I itch EVERYWHERE something fierce for up to an hour and I just want to rip off my skin.
Hmmm. Those symptoms sound really familiar! Have you ever been checked out for Porphyria? If not, you should see a hematologist specializing in porphyria and get yourself tested.